Thoughts or info on Roatan (Honduras)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 00SS, Jan 24, 2008.

1. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, hope this is in the right place to ask. I am planning a Mexico / Guat / Belize and back trip in October this year (new thread for that one once the time draws closer).. but first things first. I am doing such a ride with a couple riding buddies here in Dallas and in order for me to go.. the wife said that this year for our 10th anniversary (July 4th) we are going on a trip just me and her. That means leaving our 4 daughters with some friends of ours for 7 whole days.. it's been 11 years since we have done anything just the two of us. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughters more than anything else in this world.. but it will be nice to not have the bitchin, moaning, fighting for a whole week.

So, the wife found a place in Roatan for a week excursion, it seems kinda pricey if you ask me.. compared to getting off the beaten path as so many times i've read on ride reports here.

But anyway, any thoughts on Roatan.. Honduras in general.. anyone know of any bike rental places they could recommend. The wife is not opposed to riding with me for a day or two.. she just doesn't want to spend the whole week on back of a bike (I originally was trying to talk her into flying to AK and renting a bike for a week since one of her places she wanted to see was Alasks).

all comments welcomed,
    Devin
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    slideways lives there. PM him. Also, Freeflow knows something about that island.
  3. nwgreen13

nwgreen13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Been There twice to dive, stayed at Anthony's Key Resort. Best diving i've ever done, well worth it.
  4. 00SS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Lone Rider.. i'll drop him a PM.

I use to dive, but haven't re-cert'd in years, but the wife does love to snorkel.. i'll find out what resort she got a quote on. Thanks for the input.
  5. 00SS

Oddometer:
    nwgreen.. that is the place "anthony's resort" that she has quoted as well.
  6. nwgreen13

nwgreen13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anthony's key is a great little all inclusive place. You stay on this little coral and sand atol that you can only get to by means of a boat taxi. Its not far to the island but seperated enough to feel secluded. Your rooms are these individual open air huts, fantastic for sleeping in as the warm breezes blow through and you wake up to coconuts falling in the sand in the morning. All the meals are prepared in a restaurant on the main island, wonderful food and a great bar that features a margarita guzzling parrot that passes out and falls out of the rafters when he's had enough.
    There's at least one dive boat that goes out multiple times a day to different locations. You just sign up and they have your tank ready. There's a few night dives a week as well. I actually did my open water's down there the last time and was able to rent all the equipment i needed there. As far as snorkeling there's some fantastic areas right off the atol you stay on. You can also go out with the dive boat if you like and follow along with the divers. My only warning is to find out when the jellyfish are in season. The first time we were there, they were in season and we had to wear full suits less they would leave little welts all over. They're about the size of a thimble and explode when they hit you. The sting is bearable and vinegar makes it go away. To this day the smell of vinegar reminds me of that.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure I'll be there in August.
    Too bad you can't ride there.
  7. nwgreen13

nwgreen13 n00b

Oddometer:
  8. wjpjump

wjpjump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great wall diving. great island nice people. when i was there we rented some scooters and road the perimiter. (I beleive the island is only 40 miles long.) not sure about bigger bike availabilty. I would go there again in a heartbeat
  9. 00SS

Oddometer:
    excellent, thanks for the input. I think the plan now is to do the 4 day package there and then go to the mainland and rent a dr400 or something and ride two up for a day or so.. thanks again for the input.
  10. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    On one of your riding days head on over to Copan Ruinas and spend some time wandering around, great mayan town, the artifacts are amazing.
  11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    Copan is worth it!...I have a buddy that has lived on Roatan since the late 60s...you could spend a relaxing day hanging in the ruins and a local expat rents dirt bikes for rides there too

we like don udo's www.donudos.com

FWIW, we rode our KLRs from wisconsin and left them on Roatan for the winter in 04/05

anthony's key is nice and polished...and $$, but very nice..west end area is too developed for my taste, the east end is dirt road remote and off the grid

worthwile adventure is to hire Karl stanley and his submarine in half moon bay...he took us to over 1000 feet deep on one of his early dives. $500 and 2-3 hrs, but worth every penny

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/

also the zip line canopy tours are fun ...touristy, but fun, south of west end, go to the one on the west side of the road, it ends in a nice park/preserve

the name escapes me at the moment, Gambalana? or something