-- THREAD OVER ----

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Cuttle, May 16, 2016.

?

move or stay???

1. Stay at Black Bear

69.3%
  2. Move back and forth between a new location and Black Bear

30.7%
  1. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Creature of habit here. The Black Bear vibe is very nice.
  2. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me just say up front that I vote to move it around.

I agree that Black Bear has been great to us. They love having us and folks have enjoyed the rallies there. The kitchen is great as is the indoor area for the inevitable rain that follows RDV. On the other hand, in a smaller confined space such as BB, when the inevitable rain does come, it creates a muddy soupy mess. The tent camping area was a mud bog and we all know what it was like around the fire-pit with 150 people around it. The very limited parking area was closed off due to the rain and mud.

You will still have some folks who split off into smaller groups and that is inevitable as well but it doesn't mean they don't wander around to the different groups and socialize. Every year I try to make a point to talk to all of my old friends and make a few new ones as well whether it is at the central "party area" or in the smaller groups on the fringe. There were at least a couple other fires going on the property at different times and several smaller groups scattered about even with the limited area at BB

As for the new place, if it is Smoky Mtn Meadows that is being considered, I took a look at their website and it does look pretty nice. I don't think we need as many cabins and other indoor sleeping facilities if folks can sleep in their RV's, campers, vans, trucks, trailers, and what have you. I do agree that bigger is not necessarily better. You can always limit it to 200 people even at a new and bigger place. As for the kitchen, this is one of the few rally locations that I have been to that had such kitchen facilities but we always seem to make it work. We didn't have any kitchen facilities in Hot Springs but damn, we always ate good! Maybe a few meals could be catered or let people fend for themselves for breakfast. The close proximity to Bryson City would make that easier. Except for the coffee! We gots to have our coffee Kyle!

Being able to spread out in a larger location is not a bad thing. There appears to be lots of room for parking at the new place and I doubt it would be near as muddy even if it rained again like it did this year, and every other year.

OK! I'll shut da' fuck up now! :-)
  3. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    Well said, Kenny.
  4. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:

:raabia
  5. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a question. Would we be renting the entire campground for the weekend? If so I would think the campground rules could be negotiated if there were no normal people there for us to terrorize.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    kalonji and Paratrout like this.
  6. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    I'm sensitive
  7. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    rub some goldenseal on it, it'll heal
  8. Cuttle

Cuttle Seriously?

Oddometer:
    yes, if we could afford it. But last time I talked to them they wanted to do the camping reservations, and I would have no control on limiting the number and avoiding "squatters" (campers that take advantage of the event but won't pay because they bring their own beer/food). I hate not offering beer and we end up with people riding down to town to get beer in the middle of the night...

Also, apparently the lower tent field gets pretty wet when it rains. I still would have to spend about at least 1.5 k on a big tent rental.
  9. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    Other location is sounding worse by the post,ultimately what do you want?
    Paratrout likes this.
  10. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    Maybe we should consider how PartyBoss would respond to this conversation. As I remember, he strived to make the RDV all inclusive.
  11. Cuttle

Cuttle Seriously?

Oddometer:
    personally I love Black Bear.... right amount of people, good cooking facilities, great indoor place when it's crappy. Everybody is able to sit down and eat at a table. Things are sorted out. And I really liked that we had a bunch of new/younger folks in addition to the same old farts :smooch

But I try to make people happy, because there is always a handful of folks that complain about sleeping in a tent... and frankly I am tired of it. (but most campers hate sleeping between a bunch of RV's and trailers). I assume a new riding area would be nice, it's great down there for gravel - but there is not single track at all.

Moving will be definitely a lot more work the first year. I would have to figure out how to cook for a (presumably) bigger crowd without a kitchen and ovens - that means I have to buy more grills etc. New logistics, tent rental, tables etc (if I provide food, I also have to provide a dry/comfortable spot to eat that food).
    PapaBravo likes this.
  12. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    fuck 'em :lol3
  13. Cuttle

Cuttle Seriously?

Oddometer:
    Fine. find me a location with a motel and a campground we don't have to share with folks that shit on the dance-floor
  14. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    I've deleted my posts three times already but...

Sounds like for you Black Bear is it.
    You do enough already
    You don't need added tasks/expenses
    norton73, YJake, trespalacios and 4 others like this.
  15. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    You do not have to do all of that! Let us do what we do best. Wing it. I like hot dogs.
    HappyCRNA likes this.
  16. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    :jack
  17. Cuttle

Cuttle Seriously?

Oddometer:
    great - you can grill some at the notta or byob.
  18. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    I was thinking a low country boil... Fuck the non shellfish tolerant.
    gararnett, bk brkr baker and kennyanc like this.
  19. Cuttle

Cuttle Seriously?

Oddometer:

Rick did that..... didn't you say he was all inclusive?
    trespalacios likes this.
  20. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    I think that's what makes her events so special
    It's the great food along with all the rest of the festivities

Hearing everyone rave over and over about the jambalaya and either Jeff or Kennys BB-Q almost makes me wish I wasn't a veggie
    Almost.

You can get Hot Dogs at any event,but Jamie James Jambalaya and Pork Butt and Kennyanc BBQ?

No way!