Three Amigos Invade Beartooth Pass, July-2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Skunk-Works, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know of several FJ1100/1200 owners in the Minneapolis area.
    I could definitely arrange something if you want to put me in touch with him.
  2. Skunk-Works

Oddometer:
    Day-10
    Heading Home!
    382 miles of towing.

After Ron and I got up and I had my morning coffee, we finished the previous night's pasta-dinner for breakfast.
    We packed up Camp and loaded my bike back onto the Camper.
    We said our goodbyes and Cap'n Ron rode off. He would be heading east toward the Black Hills, and I would be heading for Home.

On the way out, I passed through the Ranch and made my way to Rt 190.

IMG_7024.JPG

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7027.JPG

Parts of the road are pretty rugged. You would definitely want "High-Clearance" for some of it. A lot of the flatter areas are pretty "Washboarded".
    At one point during the drive out from the Campground I heard a fairly distinct "Clang".
    When I got to the Fuel-Station at Kaycee, I noticed the Camper had a slight "Lean" to the right side.
    Upon inspection underneath, I found that the right-side leaf-Spring had broken.

IMG_7031.JPG

The extra load of the Bike combined with the rugged/washboard road proved too much for the 13-year old spring.
    There was still plenty of clearance for the tire, and the Axle was still clamped solidly to the Leaf-spring, which was still located to the Frame at the front.
    The broken edge of the spring was only rubbing on itself, and having only Interstate driving left to get home, I topped up the Fuel and continued on the way it was.
    It towed just fine down the highway, and I checked on it frequently.

A few hours later I was back in Colorado.

IMG_7028.JPG

After a couple more hours of fairly heavy traffic I made it Home, safe and sound.
    The tire did not rub at all, and it towed straight the whole time.

IMG_7032.JPG

We missed seeing our favorite Couple from Canada, but it was great to spend a week with some of my Best friends!
    It was a fantastic Trip!
    After unloading and parking the Camper, I set about ordering the items I would need to fix it.

Here was my travel-route from Outlaw-Cave Campground to Home.

BigDogRaven, Vrode, wvpc1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Skunk-Works

Oddometer:
    A follow-up Post to this trip.

Shortly after being back Home, I ordered the parts I needed to fix the Camper from "etrailer.com".

I got upgraded 6000-lb leaf-Springs (measured for the correct length), and also bought an add-on Shock-Absorber kit. (the Camper never came with Shocks)

IMG_7104.JPG

I worked on the broken side first.

IMG_7106.JPG

The broken spring was also missing the "Centering Pin/Bolt". Not sure when that departed, but I'm assuming it was long before the Spring broke as there was surface-rust in/around the hole.

IMG_7107.JPG

The 13-year old, sagged-out 4-leaf Springs, compared to the new 6-leaf ones.
    The Shock-Absorber kit came with new Spring-Plates and Axle U-Bolts/Nuts.

IMG_7113.JPG

On to the other side.

IMG_7115.JPG

Made sure to grease all the pivots as I went.

IMG_7116.JPG
  4. Skunk-Works

Oddometer:
    The Shock-Absorber Kit comes with detailed instructions on measuring and Bracket placement.

IMG_7117.JPG

IMG_7119.JPG

There was plenty of room in the wheel-well for these.
    I still have about 4-inches of clearance between the Tire and the Shock on both sides.

IMG_7118.JPG

With the new Suspension, the Camper now sits a couple inches higher than it did with the old springs.

IMG_7120.JPG

IMG_7121.JPG

And Last, but not Least...........................

Our "4th-Amigo" received his gift.
    The Jacket made it safely to Canada, and his Wife presented it to him at the beginning of November.
    His is the only Leather one of the bunch.

IMG_8191.JPG

IMG_0849.JPEG

This year's 2021-trip is planned for Idaho at the end of July.
    I'm hoping the border will open long before that time, and they will be able to make it this year.

Thanks everyone for tagging along!
  5. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Ride Report.....I'm planning a trip back to Montana this July but plan on riding a 1000 mile loop starting in Missoula through Idaho, Oregon and back to Montana where I'll head east towards Bozeman and spend a few days riding Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway.

Some of the points of interest I plan to ride/see is Lolo Pass, Old Spiral Hwy near Lewiston, Rattlesnake Grade near Joseph, OR, Hells Canyon Overlook, Grimes Pass near Stanley, ID and finally Chief Joseph Pass and Anaconda, MT. I'll probably spend at least one day riding Glacier National Park even though I rode through Glacier twice last year.

I also plan to stop for two days in Rapid City, SD so I can checkout Devils Tower, Spearfish Canyon, MT Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, Custer State Park and Needles Hwy and finally Badlands Natl Park.
    Skunk-Works likes this.
  6. Jeffj1200

Jeffj1200 Old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM with your contact information adn I will provide that information to yuo guys!

Jeffj1200
    LewisNClark likes this.
  7. Vandergraf

Vandergraf --------------------

Oddometer:
    So did you take the trailer for a drive after the upgrade? I'm curious if you noticed improved tow-ability. Also, sorry if I missed it earlier but any idea what the tongue weight was with the bike loaded up and what the total trailer weight is fully loaded? We're retiring next year and a travel trailer is in our future. I'm still trying to wrap my head around towing much heavier loads than a small fishing boat...
    jwc likes this.
  8. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report, thanks for posting. The videos were a nice touch. Looks like your camper suspension upgrade turned out well. +1 on have you had a chance to do a test ride / tow with your bike loaded to check it out?
  9. Skunk-Works

Oddometer:
    I did take the Camper for a weekend away after the Spring/Shocks upgrade.
    Honestly it doesn't seem to tow any different, except that it doesn't bounce as much over the expansion-joints in the road.
    I have not towed it again with the bike on it yet.

Last summer I measured the Tongue-weight at 613-lbs with the Bike on it.
    Fully loaded, with the Bike and everything the Camper weighs somewhere between 4,700-5,000 lbs.
    We have a drive-on scale at my work. I plan to take it over there this spring to get an exact weight measurement.