1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    The Taconic State Parkway...that windy ribbon of 4 lane goodness that flows over hill and dale as you travel south towards NYC...is quite picturesque. The scenery is, for the most part, unmolested by human hands and the wildlife is abundant. The downside, of course, is that wildlife is abundant...DEER!...and lots of them. You're lucky if you only hit one...some folks have been known to hit an entire herd. Couple that with no breakdown lanes, no lighting, and the typical New Yorker's propensity to travel at ridiculous rates of speed and the resulting carnage can be found all along the roadside. However, we were fortunate in that we only encountered a flock of turkeys on the way south.

We got off at Rhinebeck and started wandering in a south-westerly direction. For the next hour, I had no idea where we were going. The route was what I would describe as "unintentionally circuitous". I finally started to recognize some landmarks in Port Jervis and I came to believe that the intent was to ride the Delaware River Scenic Byway. That would be OK with me. I like that road. I once paddled a canoe 50 miles on that section of river and riding along the banks is very nostalgic for me.

Attached Files:

2. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Sadly...we missed the Delaware River almost completely. My faith in the officially authorized HArley Davidson GPS is quickly fading. I'm not sure how people can blindly follow the directions that the GPS spits out when it clearly doesn't agree with what you're looking at. If you think you're riding the Delaware River Scenic Byway, and there's no Delaware River and no scenery, your GPS is lying to you. That's why I prefer to study maps, learn route numbers, and actually have an idea of where I'm going. If there's one thing I've learned from a lifetime of working in electronics, it's not to trust electronics. They will fail you and it will be at the most inconvenient time possible.
  3. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't planning the route half the fun? I spent half the morning checking out my route for an upcoming four day and I know most of the roads already, still had to look at them and "know" them.
    BeemerBOI likes this.
  4. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Day 1 (placeholder)

Ehh...not great...
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Day 2 (placeholder)

At least 3 times today, I decided that I was going to break off and go take a solo trip. I don't think we're on the same page for this trip.

I'll get into more details later when I have time and a real keyboard.

I did, however, take a solo ride after we arrived in Nags Head since nobody seems interested in seeing the Outer Banks. They were headed for the bar.

Attached Files:

Max Wedge likes this.
  6. hoser54

hoser54 just havin' fun

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, I had the same type of ride a few years back. Not fun
  7. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Life is short...ride your own ride.
    Folly1 likes this.
  8. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And this is the reason my wife and I have NEVER done joint vacations with friends. If it goes south, which it is most assured to do, you may just lose the friends in the end. The 2 joint vacations I have done in my life were with family, and they were not so good either. Choose your riding friends carefully. (just found out my riding buddy listens to country music, almost a deal breaker)
    shuswap1 likes this.
  10. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    If it is heading down the tubes this soon, you better bail and save the friendships. Have your wife call, and need you to come home. I'm telling you, this will not turn out well. Time to cut your losses. I am speaking from experience.

John
  11. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say make the best of it and break off for your own sights when you can. Show them the pics and they may want to to do what you're doing once they see what they're missing.

I still can't wait for our Vermont trip with me on the smoker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
  12. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you are in Hog heaven which is probably hell for you. There is entertainment value for sure ( for us followers) but maybe not so much for you. If you have to bail, a timely phone call from the spousal unit would be in order.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Day 3 (placeholder)

Today was a much better day despite starting in the rain. We hit some cool roads along the coast and the pace was quite comfortable. HOT, HOT, HOT. I'll elaborate more about the things that transpired throughout the day ( I took some notes) but we ended in Myrtle Beach at an amazing hotel that Dave lined up. Penthouse suite that occupies the entire top level with decks on 3 sides. We got a late dinner and they headed out for the bar afterwards. I walked back to the hotel to sit here and post on the Internet. Who's to say which is a bigger waste of time. I'm pretty sure that my view from the balcony is better than the view from a bar stool, but I'm trying to be less judgmental. Besides, I want to get up and hit the beach before sunrise so I need to turn in early. I was going to break out on my own tomorrow and meet them in Greenville,SC via Georgia and maybe Florida, but I think it'll be too damn hot to be enjoyable.
  14. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    The Slow Adult Super Friends

image.jpeg
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Our digs in Myrtle Beach... image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Max Wedge and Titlerider like this.
  16. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear things are looking up.
    :lurk
  17. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Day 4 (placeholder)

Myrtle Beach...so far so good. Of course, I'm the only one awake. I think they were up way past midnight. I wanted to get up early enough to see the sunrise. Mission accomplished. image.jpeg
    Max Wedge, 51%, JBergquist and 2 others like this.
  18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice pics!
  19. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I was definitely the only one amongst us to watch this. image.jpeg
    Max Wedge and TRoberts like this.
  20. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! But, you should have been down there walking with the other people. Can't beat a walk on a beach at sunrise.
    Carry on sir, and make the best of what cards you have been dealt.