1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    I'll get to writing shortly, but I'm unpacking and cleaning up today. I thought it might be fun to see exactly how much I actually packed for this trip. So here it is in all of its overpacking glory...

LOADED
    IMG_6199.JPG

UNLOADED
    image.jpeg

I just weighed it all and that's just under 60lbs of gear (excluding my helmet, jacket, pants, and boots) Not nearly as bad as I had imagined. Way less than a passenger would have been. Coincidentally, my boxes were relatively balanced at 21 and 23 lbs each. The bike handled perfectly with the exception of one close call that I'm attributing to operator error. Of course, I only used about 1/3 of this stuff. I should hide something in the pic like a "Where's Waldo?"...maybe the Tide Pod or the spare oil drain plug gasket.

I feel like the mere existence of this photo will support the diagnosis of some sort of mental disorder...
    whatsgnu and Len like this.
  2. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow...that's an amazing amount of STUFF!:fpalm
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you could get booked on one of those psycho analysis shows on that photo alone...impressive!
  4. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many pairs of shorts did you wear? I just have to know:)
  5. TrainReck

TrainReck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screwdriver in the top right is a little crooked. :amazon
    JBergquist, wordguy and Kidder like this.
  6. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    I'd be overjoyed to ride with you. I'd take just a credit card and rely on you for the rest. :D

In all seriousness, those who prepare the most are the ones who never seem to need it... I'm in the ant camp, not a grasshopper, for better or worse.
  7. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    despicable.jpg
    Len, wordguy, Hovieone and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to do a detailed analysis of what things I actually used and what things were just along for the ride, but, to answer your question, I wore 2 pairs of shorts. On the first night, I squirted ketchup on the first pair and I had to employ my second pair the next night. Then, conveniently enough, on Day 3, we did a load of laundry and my primary pair of shorts were back in action. Then on Day 5, we suffered through an agonizingly hot football game where I sweat through every piece of clothing I had on. That put an end to those shorts for the rest of the trip and I was back to my second pair. I think 2 pairs would have been more than adequate for a 10 day trip. The 3rd pair was superfluous. I think the bathing suit was still a reasonable gamble though.
    Golden955 and yokesman like this.
  9. ScotiaEquitis

ScotiaEquitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you WEAR the bathing suit?

That is an impressive amount of gear and obviously beautifully packed. Well done, sir.

I am very much looking forward to the tale of the trip.
  10. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You really did an outstanding job with your selected kit. Only 60 pounds is very good for the duration of your ride and well within what would ride nicely on the GSA.
  11. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    The volume of stuff that I took was excessive, but I blame the Touratech boxes and those pesky little nylon bags. I grabbed a little bag and said to myself "this will be my t-shirt bag". So I rolled a few t-shirts up into tight little burritos and stuffed them in the bag. The bag was half empty...listless...lopsided...sad. So I kept pulling shirts out of the drawer, rolling them up, and putting them in the bag until the bag was plump, full, and firm...like a well formed breast...a happy shape. This was a much more pleasing condition so I repeated the exercise with the underwear bag, the short sock bag, the long sock bag, the shorts bag, the shoe bag, and so on. Eventually, I had a pile of happy little bags...each of them perfectly full and perky. I knew that I had way more stuff than I needed and I conceded that I might have to shed some of the extra clothes once it came time to pack the boxes. However, the cavernous nature of the Touratech boxes precluded the need to shed any of it. So I went with it...knowing that I could go the entire trip without doing laundry of any kind and still have fresh clothes each morning. The exercise became more of just how much I could possibly pack into the boxes. I think all of the clothes in the picture above fit into the right pannier. The tail bag/box was mostly empty - leaving plenty of space for souvenir t-shirts, hats, and any puppies that need rescue. The cooler was full of Mountain Dew.
  12. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say you were ready for the zombie apocalypse, but I don't see a crossbow.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    If they keep passing gun legislation, I may start stocking up on crossbows next.
    Len likes this.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then only zombies will have guns
    ChicoProf likes this.
  15. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Just got back from my own 11 day ride and am pleased to learn that you survived yours.
    I'm looking forward to reading about whether the others did as well.
    But screw this placeholder shit. Just go ahead and tell the tale in additional posts, in any old sequence. :evil
  16. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    So...the common consensus is that I drastically over-packed for this brief excursion around the eastern United States. I reviewed my last revision of the packing list and highlighted those items which were actually used. Green means it was used as listed and orange means I used some subset of the line item (actual quantity used in red font). Everything else on the list came along to simply serve as ballast to help keep the GSA planted in the corners.

Packing List - Actually Used.PNG

It seems that I could have taken this entire trip on a Honda CT70 with nothing more than a Jansport backpack and a milk crate.
    BeemerBOI likes this.
  17. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Noted. Agreed.
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    So...as most of you have probably surmised by now, this trip was hardly an adventure and I don't think I have the creative writing skills to convince anyone otherwise. I think it was more of a bar and brewery tour where the participants just happened to arrive and depart on motorcycles. I can't really fault anyone...nobody ever promised anything otherwise...but it was a somewhat disappointing way to spend 2 weeks of vacation time. There were a few entertaining moments that I'll probably go on about in excruciating detail, but a day by day trip report will be more boring than a Dr. Phil marathon. The highlight of the trip might just have been the packing and the laminating of many lists.
    Kidder likes this.
  19. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we might be disappointed, oh well, as long as you had "some" fun and got home safely, pretty much a win for you. Although, the prospects for real adversity and adventure are great, the sleeping in your own bed and not being dead has its certain allure as well.
    whatsgnu likes this.
  20. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You likely can't write about them, but how you managed to resist your homicidal tendencies riding with guys so poorly organized would be quite humorous!