1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what you're saying is a road trip with HDs went pretty much as expected :D
    shuswap1 likes this.
  2. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    Your GSA looks super clean. What year is it ?
  3. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    There were a couple factors that kept me in check throughout the trip...despite my frustrations with our wildly disparate views of what a motorcycle trip should be or even how to ride with a group of guys.

The first was that these are all good guys and this is not their first trip together. They do trips like this every year and they all seem to be on the same page about the execution of the trips. From all indications, this was exactly the trip that they wanted to be on. I was the odd man out...the guy riding the weird looking motorcycle that doesn't even set off car alarms or wake up hotel guests in the morning...it doesn't even have chrome...and that paint...it's not even shiny :gasp: Throw in the textile clothes, the Alpinestar boots, and the modular helmet and I was perpetually the wrong guy in the wrong place who wanted to ride way too much and drink far too little. It would be silly for me to blame them for my unhappiness. I knew I was the zebra going into this...

Secondly, Dave's the only painter I know and I'm a guy with lots of project vehicles that need painting. From a practical standpoint, keeping my mouth shut was a good long term financial strategy.

Third..well...I was on a motorcycle trip. That's way better than being at work and, while I briefly toyed with the idea of breaking off and going solo during Day 2, I'm not sure that I can really enjoy that for a prolonged period of time. I do like the shared experiences and the potential for reminiscing later in life. Mike ad I make reference to our trip at least once a week and that was 3 years ago. (somebody at work just brought up our cowboy photo yesterday) Bob and I have laughed about the trip every day since we've been back.

So...

Here's my story...
    ChicoProf likes this.
  4. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I think I already covered Day 1. Late start...big breakfast...no Harley Factory tour...missed the scenic roads...too much highway...liquid lunch...ending in Westminster, MD with Dave and Rick at Dave's nephew's house...Bob and I at a local Best Western or some such chain. That night, we dined at a local restaurant and then followed it up with a trip to some trendy bar where an overly enthusiastic bartender waxed poetically about 50 obscure beers and some non-carbonated casks of hipster beer in the basement that had to be pumped out by hand. There were many samples poured and a great deal of time discussing complicated nuances of craft beers. I got the distinct impression that ordering a Corona would have resulted in my being run out of the place on a rail so I went outside to watch the action at the local Democratic Election Headquarters.
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    2009, but it's had a relatively gentle life. While I have trail-ridden it from time to time, these days it's primarily my road trip machine so it sits in the garage 50 weeks out of the year; waiting for a trip. I usually tear it down, service it, and clean every nook and cranny after every trip so it's always showroom fresh and ready to go. I hope to hit 49 states and all the Canadian provinces on this machine before it gets too tall and heavy for the older version of me and I have to retire it to a corner of the garage for posterity.
  6. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I stood around in front of this place for quite a while and did not witness a single person coming or going. I felt a little bad for the woman working the desk inside. I almost went in and asked for a bumper sticker or lawn sign. I thought it might help me to meet new and interesting friends along the trip.

IMG_5865.JPG

Day 1 ended in a nondescript motel in Maryland. The room was fine and the staff was very nice so there was nothing to complain about there. They even let us park under the entry.

IMG_5867.JPG

Now I've been waking up by 5:00AM every day since boot camp in 1991...no alarm clock...I just wake up. It was readily apparent to me that 5:00AM wake-ups were only going to be frustrating for me and annoying to Bob so I took Benadryl every night of this trip just to force myself to sleep longer. It worked perfectly and I snoozed until about 7:00AM which was in line with Bob's vacation schedule. Bob was still smiling after the first night so my drug-induced snoring must not have been too problematic.

IMG_5868.JPG
  7. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe, but YES...just exactly as expected. Shocker.
    Cowgirl likes this.
  8. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Day 2 would take us the length of Maryland before crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel/bridge/tunnel/bridge and eventually ending in Nags Head on the Outer Banks. Bob and I were up, packed, and eating a full breakfast in no time, but we had to kill a little time before our compatriots were going to be ready. We went over to Dave's nephew Shawn's house at 8:30, as directed, to collect up Dave and Rick. Apparently, Shawn brews his own beer and has a significant amount on hand at all times. This had led to a late night of drinking after the drinking that was already conducted at the hipster brew pub last night. I assumed that was the reason for the late 8:30 departure.

There was some farting around at Shawn's house and I was anxious to hit the road. There was a brief discussion of the route. Dave was accustomed to simply entering his final destination and letting the GPS direct every move from there on out. After the first day's routing, I wasn't really on board with that approach. I pointed out that the GPS would not be bringing us across the bridge that we wanted to ride so I offered up Salisbury, MD as a waypoint to force the GPS into routing us to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Dave obliged begrudgingly and updated his GPS accordingly. I pointed out that there was a restaurant called Sting Ray's just north of the bridge that had been recommended to me on this forum and that it might make for a great spot to stop for lunch. There seemed to be consensus, but there was a dismissiveness about it that made me suspect.

We finally hit the road at what must have been 9:00. I was already sweltering in my textile garb and I just wanted to get moving. We had already wasted so much time doing nothing. I just wanted to ride.

Off we went...roaring through Shawn's upscale suburban neighborhood...saving lives with loud ass pipes and looking like long haul road warriors...

10 minutes later...

IMG_5870.JPG

I had assumed that the 8:30 departure time was on account of the big breakfast and coffee consumed at Shawn's. I was wrong. More standing around.
  9. Ccceric

Ccceric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are 4 bikes taking up 3 spots???????

PS I loved your story about CO... My state. It seemed you enjoyed it to its fullest.
  10. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Handicap....
  11. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now we're moving! kind of, slowly, but moving, yes!
  12. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I think the more important question would be "Why are you parking in a handicap spot?" That was my question at the time. A question that would come up again and again. As far as 4 bikes in 3 spaces, that's just a taste of the utter lack of organization and disregard for anyone else. Another prevalent theme.
    Folly1 and Vrode like this.
  13. Scooter22

Scooter22 Gratuitous Advisor

Oddometer:
    Some guys invite you along on their ride. They want to do it their way, you have a different idea, so you badmouth them, and whine about it at length, here, with pictures...

I wonder what their impression was of you?

Think I'll just move along ... I hear enough whingeing at the office.
  14. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I suppose he is, ETHICALLY handicapped! :D
    Traxx likes this.
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    You know what...you're absolutely right. That's a shitty move on my part. I'll dial back the pissing and moaning about why everyone isn't exactly the same as me and stick to the funny/interesting things that happened. I got too caught up in the idea of having something to write about and I went down the easy path - complaining and criticizing. That's not how I want to be.
    cwegga, Jaimo, GHOC and 3 others like this.
  16. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, you can't fault them for not playing to type.
  17. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    10 minutes later...

View attachment 640457

I had assumed that the 8:30 departure time was on account of the big breakfast and coffee consumed at Shawn's. I was wrong. More standing around.[/QUOTE]

This may be acceptable at Starbucks. Perhaps the confusion lies there.
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    This may be acceptable at Starbucks. Perhaps the confusion lies there.[/QUOTE]

The parking lot at Starbuck's was all full up with GSAs ( :
    Max Wedge, Vrode and Cowgirl like this.
  19. Kidder

Kidder Poser Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Wild Hogs are Aholes for parking in designated handicap parking.
    Folly1 and Traxx like this.
  20. pnwadventure

pnwadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. I did a similar trip through southeast asia(not on bikes) with some folks I knew wouldn't quite jive with. Still some good memories.