Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    We frequent the BRP often (at least once or twice a year), never get much below 75-80 mph. We stay out of Shenandoah, though - those Fed tickets are pricey - and they come to get you if you don't pay up.
  2. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    I thought the cops on the BRP were federal as well? That's my recollection from my last trip anyways. We rode end to end and we were very diligent about staying below 55. I don't expect that these guys will be looking to do 75-80 on any road where turning might be involved. I'll have to get some pics of the bikes. They're like Rose Bowl parade floats. Beautiful to look at, but not exactly corner carving weapons.

Here's a quick pic of Bob's bike from the parking lot at work.

Bob Bike.jpg
  3. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    They are, but there is VERY little enforcement south of Shenandoah. Up in the park though - very different story.

You're right though - those "geezer-glides" aren't going to be able to muster much more anyway. :-)

The length of the BRP at posted speed? That's a fate worse then death...
  4. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    So Bob forwarded my route "recommendations" to Dave and Rick last night. I haven't been uninvited yet. I'm taking my plan to the next level and sending anonymous Aerostitch catalogs to their houses...maybe addressed to their wives. I just watched a guy pull off a low speed high side crash right in front of me last week with no protective gear whatsoever. It was painful to watch as he hit the road...bones contacting pavement. I took care of getting his bike up, turned off, and moved while some other folks tended to his injuries. I'm fairly certain that he broke his hip on the impact. Bob informed me that he'll be rocking Converse Chucks, jeans, and a t-shirt for the trip, but he did acknowledge that he'll really wish he had been wearing more if he takes a spill. I'm not sure that knowing that you'll regret not wearing protective gear is truly a reasonable replacement for actual wearing protective gear, but he seems to have it all worked out in his head. I'm not his mom. I think I've committed to wearing all my typical riding gear despite the fact that I'll look out of place with the company I'm keeping. I'm going to embrace the zebra...be the zebra.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Now it's time for some last minute preparation. I've only got a few items to address, but the clock is running out.
    • Rain Suit - my 1-piece BMW suit was flawless on my first trip, but leaking at the seams during my second big trip. I'm torn between trying to spray it with waterproofing sealant or buying a new one. I'd hate to discover the spray didn't work on hour 1 of a 10 hour ride in the rain
    • Vented Jacket - My old Joe Rocket vented jacket was pretty lame to begin with. It's tired now.
    • GPS - my Garvin NUVI has served me very well over the years, but the maps are way outdated. I need to replace or update the maps.
    • Bluetooth Helmet Radio - my Cardo Scala headset works great, but the battery doesn't hold a charge for very long these days and I can't seem to find a replacement battery that will get here within 2 weeks
    • Sun Glasses - dropped my current shades during vacation and buggered up the lenses. I need something new that will fit inside my helmet.
    I'm open to recommendations on any of the categories above. I've got to get shopping.
  6. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    I just read that parts of the BRP are under construction... as in there are replacing the pavement-type construction....

if the clydesdales are wearing the type of gear that you mention, i'm doubting that they are wearing any kind of ear protection as well.... thereby limiting their long-distance proclivity. but YMMV
  7. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    No need to spend extra money on the Raingear - you have a very good suit already, this will totally restore it...

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=677
  8. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Duly noted. I ordered the kit today and I'll be rockin' my "Supah Suit" in no time. Too sexy! Thanks!

Day 1.jpg
  9. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Scored a Klim Blade jacket that I'm hoping will be light enough for the late summer heat and then I ordered a new battery for my Cardo Scala headset. It's coming from China though, so I'm a bit nervous about getting it in time. Bob ordered himself a new TourMaster rainsuit to replace his ghetto Frog Togs.
  10. ScotiaEquitis

ScotiaEquitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am so looking forward to the updates in the ride report. I went back and read the MA to CO report, OUTSTANDING writing, sir.

I am fan of the NikWax products, I wash and waterproof my ride gear with it; I hope it serves you well.

So, are the Clydesdales members here? Or are they like Mike and are your oblivious muses?

Be the Zebra, Hondarider, be the Zebra.
  11. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    They are currently oblivious...which is really the best possible scenario for me...I still have the freedom to make fun of them at will...but they have read my MA to CO thread so they know about the forum and they know my penchant for story telling. I suppose it won't take a whole lot of investigation to find this thread. I hope that won't inhibit my tale. Tonight, however, I'm busy writing on another forum about my broken Willys that won't go in reverse.

IMG_5696[1].JPG

Attached Files:

thechief86 likes this.
  12. rcskier

rcskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, does the trans not go into reverse?? not sure which one you have but if it is old enough, it could be that the plate that the gearshift rides in is stuck! They get that was when they are worn.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    oh...it SHIFTS into reverse just fine. It just won't go anywhere when you let off the clutch. It bogs down until it stalls unless I depress the clutch. I think I've got it isolated to the transfer case. I've checked the entire drivetrain and the issue goes away if I put the TC in neutral. Something squirrely. It's a 1954 CJ3B.
    tphilpin likes this.
  14. rcskier

rcskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hmm sounds like a possible jam in the TC
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    SO back to the actual story and the main characters you'll be reading about...

Dave is the de facto leader for the trio of Harley riders. I think he's a car insurance adjuster by day, but he's a paint and body guy by night. If you're interested in a short detour off topic, here's a thread that I wrote where Dave did some beautiful painting for me. It's a great project and I'm kinda proud of it. It's not my best writing, but certainly not my worst.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/49347-a-childhood-dream-realizedmy-very-own-t70es/

They've been going on annual rides for years and he's the "Road Boss". I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with Dave, but if someone is going to be annoyed by my "recommendations", "observations", or even my very presence on this trip, it will probably be him. He seems to be a bit more serious than I am. He's also about 10 years older than me so I intend to show an appropriate level of deference. He seems like a good enough guy...and Bob loves him...so that's a good enough endorsement for me.

Speaking of Bob, he's my "in" for this particular trip. I've known "Fun Bobby" for years and work with him every day. He's a mechanical engineering guy and super easy going. He's unintentionally hilarious and seems to be having a good time all the time. He's very social, gets invited to every party in town, and everyone loves him. I've never seen him get mad about anything. If I haven't annoyed him in the past 10 years, he's most likely impervious. Oh...and apparently he bowled an 810 once...which I'm told is pretty hard. As if bowling is a sport. ( ;

Rick is the third horseman. We've only met like 3 times. I know almost nothing about his demeanor, his quirks, or anything really. He seems to have a good enough sense of humor, but only time will tell. Once again, if Bob likes him, I have to assume he's a good guy.

I've really never seen any of these guys ride. That, in itself, could be a real shocker. What if they can't go around corners or they get completely unnerved by rain or road construction? WHat if they need to pee every hour? There are certainly a lot of unknowns at this point.
  16. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    So I have this phobia about crowded spaces...not necessarily agoraphobia...but more anxiety over being in a place where I have very little control and there is no clear exit strategy. I think it might be called "enochlophobia". It kicks in under very specific circumstances...like when your plane has landed...you're seated in 33F...they turn off the air conditioning...and they're unloading through that single door way up by the cockpit...nobody seems to be moving with any sort of urgency...the temperature is rising and so is your anxiety level as you realize that there is no physical way that you could plow through that sea of fat, sweaty bodies to make your exit in the case of an emergency. It takes all my willpower not to succumb to the panic.

Back in the Army, we used to squeeze what seemed like an entire platoon into one stake bed truck with a cover over it. The first 5 guys would climb in and sit on their Kevlars with their backs against the cab. The next 5 guys would sit on the knees of the first 5 guys...then so on and so on until the rows of soldiers filled the truck right to the tailgate. I can remember being one of the guys with my back against the back of the truck cab...completely and utterly trapped...stagnant air and body odor...summer heat...immobile...being crushed by the mass whenever the truck stopped. I still get anxiety thinking about it.

Traffic jams where you're 4 or 5 cars abreast....traffic ahead is stopped...cars behind are lining up for miles...guard rails or barriers on either side...packed in like a can of sardines with zero chance of exit. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

I'm always planning my exit strategy...from my home...from work...from your party...from my daughter's dance recital. My first thought when I enter a place is "how will I get out of here if bad things go down?" I avoid crowded places at all costs. That's why I live in a rural area...that's part of what I love about motorcycling...and that's why I've only been to one concert in my life. I just can't bare crowded places. Add in loud noises and people acting unpredictably and I'm on the verge of panic.

So imagine how excited I was when Dave texted me to say that he just bought us all tickets to a Clemson home game in South Carolina...

635792988145603776-Clemson-002397_JPG-copy.jpg

That's 80,000 people in that one condensed area. Ten times the population of my entire town. I'm sure I'm going to love it!
  17. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Just kill me now!

MemorialStadiumSept2006.jpg
    mttandem likes this.
  18. ScotiaEquitis

ScotiaEquitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh crap, that doesn't sound good.
  19. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    My first pre-trip delivery arrived today. I hope this stuff works. I probably won't know until it's way too late and my crotch is in a puddle.
    0816162006.jpg
  20. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    Trust me, it works - and well. Just make sure you follow the directions.
    ClimbingFool likes this.