Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, you are coming into my area, or at least close to it, York, across the river in Lancaster. I go to York quite a bit, and could hook you up with a decent place to eat, if I know what time you are to be in the area?
  2. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    I was just sitting here...daydreaming about the upcoming trip...imagining the exotic locales...the cuisine...the local color...the plush accommodations...the adventure that we're about to embark on. Then I got to thinking about what the most exciting portions of the trip will be. For starters, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge sounds kinda exciting...an engineering marvel in stark contrast against the unforgiving Atlantic...objective evidence of man's dominion over nature...22,790' long...5 lanes wide...soaring to dizzying heights of 186'. In service since 1952, this behemoth has withstood hurricane winds, storm surges, and 10s of millions of travelers. Surely, crossing this example of one of the "World's Scariest Bridges" will be a memorable event to carry with me for a lifetime.

So I hit Google maps...just to take a peek...and I zoomed in on the famed steel and concrete structure...and then I picked up the little Street View guy...and I dropped him on a portion of the bridge out in the middle of the bay...expecting to be overwhelmed by the magnitude and the spectacle of it all. Prepared to be have my socks blown off...

...and...I swear to God...this is the exact image that came up...unadulterated...unmodified...no cropping...no glamorous effects...just pure serendipity...

Chesapeake Bay Bridge.PNG

Foreshadowing of the trip to come.
  3. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's certainly nothing to write home about, but in fairness - here's a better pic...

1.jpg

Be warned - The entire bridge, and the towns at both ends are notorious speed-traps. Cops wait at pulloffs on either side of bridge. They can get you with radar up to a half mile before you can see them and they're not required by local court to provide any printout or other proof of the speed they say you were going--it's just their word. Limit is 55 and over 20 miles over is reckless driving and will get you a fine of $300. Plus you have to go to court or pay a lawyer $250. Be on the lookout.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forget the rainsuit...no self-respecting GS rider would be caught dead without Gore-Tex... :lol3:lol3:lol3
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I've got Aerostitch pants and a Klim jacket, that are both "waterproof", but when you're going to ride for 8 hours in a monsoon, it's hard to beat a full blown rain suit.

Not to mention the utter coolness of the neon yellow BMW one-piece jump suit.
    FJ Fun and BeemerBOI like this.
  6. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Your picture certainly looks a lot cooler, but I can't help myself from thinking that my picture is going to be a more accurate representation of the journey.

I do dig the underwater tunnel deal though.
  7. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Good start! I enjoyed your other tale, looking forward to the rest of this.

One comment about the rain suit. The Nikwax stuff is good, but I've found that the usual problem for gear that started out waterproof and then developed leaks is that the seam seal on the stitching has opened up. The wash-in Nikwax stuff will not usually fix that. Get a bottle/tube of seam sealer and treat the stitching on the inside.
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus1 on the seam sealant
  9. ScotiaEquitis

ScotiaEquitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the bridge picture you pulled off of street view it looks like the trailer with the port-a pottie on it, if that is what it is, is at a 45 degree angle. That should make Bob happy.
  10. ScotiaEquitis

ScotiaEquitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the list of potential activities at the No-Tell Motels in Westminster I had to look up two of them. I learn all kinds of things on Adventure Rider!
  11. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I try to make my stories both entertaining and educational. ( ;
  12. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going back to the Blue Tooth in the helmet. I have the Sena 5, my battery will last 7-8 hours, problem being I will turn in 10 hour days. I just bought a USB cord that will plug into my battery tender. My phone and Sena use the same USB charger. I plan to ride with my phone plugged in for the first half of the day and switch over to charging the Sena towards the end if the day. I'm looking forward to using the phone for a quasi/GPS as well as my playlists. The GPS usually drains the phone so quick I usually have it turned off.

I look forward to reading about this journey! If that travel writer thing doesn't work out you could just offer yourself out as a trip planner/route guru.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I've got a Cardo Scala G9 that used to last 12 hours (or 11.5 plays of Journey's Greatest Hits), but the battery was only lasting about half that time during my last trip...forcing me to belt out "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" as a solo act instead of a duet with Steve Perry. I ordered a new battery last week and it shipped yesterday. I suspect that it's coming from China so I'm not 100% confident that it will get to me in time. If the headset dies, I usually just switch over to earbuds and plug them into my phone while the Bluetooth unit recharges in my tail bag.
  14. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I don't even remember posting a link to the Panzer story, but I appreciate the feedback. I'm still trying to finish that project. http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/49347-a-childhood-dream-realizedmy-very-own-t70es/

I lost my motivation when riding/traveling season came along. We took an 18 day road trip out to CO, UT, and AZ...wife and 2 kids in a Jeep Wrangler...saw amazing sights...took about 2000 pictures...ate many chicken fired steaks. I was really hoping to write about it. Unfortunately, it wasn't very funny so I couldn't find an angle. I don't think I could get away with writing a 300 page travelogue where I ridicule my wife and kids endlessly and I think a straight-up travel report would be kinda dry.

So I'm hoping to revisit the Panzer thread in a couple months.
    tonyjuliano likes this.
  15. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, Clemson... I spent 5 of the best years of my life getting my 4 year engineering degree there. I haven't been back for a few decades, but traffic is insane on game weekends. I lost $1 to a guy that played for Bear Bryant last season in the championship game. At least we got there last year, they waited till I graduated to win a National Championship in '80, but it is an impressive gathering of rabid orange fans at games.
  16. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    And so it begins...

During the trip planning meeting...such as it was...all 3 Harley riders expressed an emphatic desire to tour the Harley factory in York, PA. A trip to the homeland so to speak. I'm on board as well as I've owned Harleys and Buells for 20+ years and I'm a manufacturing guy by trade. I'm pretty excited about it.

So, a few minutes ago, I was setting the favorites on my GPS for the trip and, since the factory tour will be on the first day of our trip, I decided to look up the York plant for the address. Apparently, they have multiple free tours throughout the week days, but they also have something called the "Steel Toe Tour" for the paltry sum of $35/head. The Steel Toe Tour promises a much more intimate experience...right out on the factory floor...poking around in places that most people will never see...getting up close and personal in the Softail, Touring, Trike, and CVO areas...rocking our flashy orange safety vests and steel toe shoes. The tour also comes with a commemorative pin and a group photo. I thought the trio of Harley faithful would be super pumped about the opportunity to get a look behind the curtain...a chance to see how their cherished machines were born.

They only give 2 tours per day and the second tour kicks off at 12:00 noon. I punched the address into the GPS and it says it will take about 5 hours of ride time from Bob's house. Some quick math tells me that if we hit the road by 6 or even 6:30, we'll get there in plenty of time for this once in a lifetime experience.

Excitedly, I shot off an email to the team and offered to make the reservations right now.

Moments later, I got a decisive response...

"Too Early"

So...

I guess I knew this trip would be a different pace than I'm accustomed to, but I imagined that on the first day of the trip, when enthusiasm to hit the road is at it's peak...and with the destination being the Motor Company's own factory...Holy Ground for the Black & Orange Faithful...

I guess I thought waking up half an hour early might be worth it.

Apparently, not so much...
    Max Wedge likes this.
  17. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you approach the Bay-Bridge Tunnel, Hondarider, I commend to you a best-kept secret of Virginia's Eastern Shore:

The "Gourmet Exxon!"

[​IMG]

I insist you and your merry pranksters STOP at Sting-Rays, for their epicurean sea food; on your left on the main highway. In your meticulous, detailed planning, you may enter this location into your GPS receiver: 26507 Lankford Hwy, Cape Charles, VA 23310.

If you arrive during lunch or dinner hours, please have a broiled flounder, for me! No kidding; I've never found fresher, tastier sea food in round-the-world travels, than at this Exxon service station.

Googling will generate many hits; you needn't take only my word. "Try it, you'll like it!" :D
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Recommendation received. Curiosity piqued. Address saved.

By my calculations, we should hit Sting-Ray's at just about noon on Day 2. I hope that my travelling companions are open to the idea.
    Max Wedge likes this.
  19. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    A considered assessment of your writing style and the diametrically opposed behaviors between your stated travel preferences and personality, and those of your chosen travel companions; leads me to the conclusion that you're fully aware of the likely course of events that will occur during this trip and that you are resigned to the frustrations that will be an inherent part of it. And while I know damn well (BTDT) that you're hoping your humorous gibes may have the effect of goading your compadres into a life altering change in perspective and attitude, you are probably accepting the fact that it ain't gonna happen and are making the best of a bad situation by turning it into a running gag for your writing. :deal

All well and good, you should end up with a great batch of lemonade. But there's this tiny part of me hoping that at some point you'll snap while someone is capturing the moment on video for posterity. I'm sure that the resultant nuclear meltdown will be a viral worthy event. :lol3

Carry on, and if you get carried away we'll still be here for you (or vice versa).
  20. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    The short of it is that I love motorcycle travel and, if I'm truly honest, I don't enjoy solo touring. I've accepted that I'm unlikely to meet someone who shares my approach and my vacation schedule, so I am resigned to taking the opportunities that present themselves. I do expect to find myself frustrated along the way on this particular trip, but Bob is a great guy and the other 2 seem like good guys as well. I'm sure concessions will be made on a daily basis and I know that I won't be calling the shots, but I'm optimistic about seeing some new places, riding some new roads, and having some laughs. I will once again attempt to put my Type A behavior on the back burner and just try to go with the flow. I'm never very successful with that, but the best part about motorcycle trips is that if it gets to be too much, you can simply part ways and ride off into the sunset. That's much tougher for 4 guys in a Winnebago or a sailboat or a space shuttle. However, I can't imagine it coming to that. I'm hopeful that the disparity in attitude, approach, and equipment will translate into an entertaining juxtaposition and not a train wreck. I'm certainly willing to take the shot...if for nothing other than the story to tell after the fact.
    BeemerBOI and Tejas99 like this.