Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm not expecting any epiphanies in either camp on this trip. While I've spent many miles touring on Electraglides in the past and I may do so again in the future, my interest lies primarilly in the travel, the exploration, and the interactions along the way. I'm trying to cram in as many new experiences as I can into each day...pushing my limits for endurance, social interaction, and culinary thrill seeking. I was going to offer up some sort of disparate counterpoint here about the my comrades, but I can't honestly say that I know what they're into. They've made the decision to take to the road for 10 days so they're not your stereotypical bar hoppers. I haven't seen them dressed as pirates. They don't sport matching jackets like a wannabe biker club. I suppose judgement should be reserved. All I know so far is that they dont like to get up early. In that regard, they may be the norm and I might be the off nominal data point.
  2. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    This is exactly the crux of divergence I am referring to. It's not a pirate vs ADV thing, it's watching 3 hours of prime riding time disappear from a day, never to be retrieved. They're on vacation, which to most means not setting an alarm clock and running a relaxed schedule. You ARE at the extreme end of the bell curve in this case.

I come near to suffering an apoplexic fit every time I go moto-camping with a good friend, because while we get along well, like riding similar terrain, yada, yada, yada, I can't get his ass moving in the morning even with a stick of dynamite. However, I cope because it's only the Saturday morning that will result in us finally rolling out into the country side around 1130 or noon after finally finishing off a late breakfast at a nearby diner.
    Typically we're coming from opposite directions and meet at a CG Friday evening. Sunday morning I break down camp and am on the road early for the ride home.
  3. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I take it you have pointed out the benefits of laminated, alphabetical packing lists to your travelling companions?
  4. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    All 3 of them have read my MA to CO thread, so they should have a pretty good idea of the value that I place on careful preparation. I think that might be exactly why Dave said he'll be throwing his stuff in a bag on the night before we depart. He's either going for comedic effect or spite. It's way too early to determine which.
  5. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, no Harley factory tour? I was going to try and hook you guys up with my friend who was one of the 10 guys that bought Harley from AMF back in the day. He got bought out, but, has some tales to tell.
  6. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my wife and I have been suffering through our wildly disparate views of "vacation" for years. Her version is sitting on a beach somewhere...fruity drinks...basking in the sun...maybe a little brunch...maybe read a book...staying up late...sleeping in...no schedule...no plan...no reservations...just playing it by ear and "relaxing".

I'd rather go to work than suffer through that version of Hell.
  7. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    I would hate riding with you, but I can't wait for your adventures to begin! I'm completely opposite of you and have zero interest in time frames or schedules but nonetheless you guys should make a stop on your 7th day in Cleveland, TN and let me buy you guys a beer or meet up for lunch. Wonderful start to your ride!!
  8. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I can live without the time frames and schedules if we're at least moving and seeing new things. I just like to get up and ride all day. I can dig just picking a direction and seeing what comes around the next bend...no maps...no schedules...no return ETA. I love to hop on my XR650 and just head north on dirt roads...making route decisions as I go based on weather or topography. My favorite is the rare occasion were I can actually get myself lost and I can spend an afternoon wandering and roosting fire roads...only to come out at some town that I recognize late in the day and starting the slog back. That's part of the reason why I prepare so carefully - so that I can get lost without any real worries. The draw of the multi-day trip is that I don't have to come home at the end of the day. It really depends on what I'm trying to get out of a trip. IN this case, the guys seem to have some specific goals about destinations so that triggers my schedule/route OCD. They're also riding geezer-glides so I know we won't be exploring any dirt roads. My biggest motivation for planning a route for this trip is to avoid the interstates. I'd much prefer twisty secondaries and little towns where there's at least the remote possibility of seeing something new and interesting.
    Max Wedge, ChicoProf and TurnerR like this.
  9. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ever wondered why the three H-D guys would want to endure your OCD behavior? Just a thought...but, a black market kidney would probably pay for their entire trip. :nod
    Folly1 likes this.
  10. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I think the 3rd guy was just looking for someone to split the cost of the hotel rooms and I was the only guy they knew who would be up for a 10 day trip.
  11. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just what I need right now - a Hondarider report!!! It's great already and it hasn't even hardly started!
  12. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I'll try to not to disappoint.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    6 days remaining...

I'm just about completely packed at this point and I've knocked off just about everything on my check list.

Bob and I were comparing packing lists today. I was impressed that he had a list, but I couldn't help myself...I had to offer some helpful feedback.

IMG_5818.PNG

We spent a few hours picking apart every line item and teasing Bob mercilessly. I'm a little concerned that we're rooming together and there's no mention of pajamas. I suspect that's intentional.
  14. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You do know these Harley guys are capable of killing you in your sleep, and they will have no qualms about it?
    CharlestonADV likes this.
  15. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    And harvesting body parts.:brow
  16. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    LOL. That will make for an interesting ending to the story. Of course, one of them will have to write it.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Based on that packing list there will be no room left on the bike for harvested kidneys, spleens or otherwise profitable body parts, sleep deep Hondarider I think you are safe! (I left out the liver figuring it might be untransplantable)
  18. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed there was no lube on the list......
    Don't know if that's good or bad.......but I suppose the Harleys will be dripping a bit as is their wont?
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    No lube and no pyjamas. Doesn't make sense, you would think you would pack one or the other.
    Dessert Storm likes this.
  20. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    There was a second page to his list...