Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Lube or jammies?
  2. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    I didn't look! And now that I critiqued his first page so enthusiastically, he's not sharing any more information. I guess I'll be surprised.
  3. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I got my hands on the second page of Bob's packing list. The outlook is not promising for me.

List.PNG

On a positive note, there's no mention of a zipper-faced latex Gimp suit or a ball gag...so I've got that going for me.
  4. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    How have I missed this? I'll be back, I have to go the the start......
  5. Vrode

Vrode Long. Standing. Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks promising.
    Promising not to be more than 350 miles a day traveled that is.
    Good luck man.
  6. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have experienced that exact same thing in the OP. I want to ride, not sit around and polish chrome.

good luck.
  7. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    5 days left and I've finished packing for the trip. Of course, the downside is that I have nothing to wear for the next 5 days, but that's a small price to pay for the joy of knowing that I'm ready to hit the road. As is my usual custom, I've made a new packing list, printed 4 copies, and laminated them. The irony is that I've used such a small font that I need my reading glasses to read the list to find out where I've packed my reading glasses. It's like trying to sort out time travel.

Anyhow, I plan to strategically place copies in easily accessible locations like my jacket pocket, pants pocket, and handlebar bag. Maybe I'll give an extra copy to Bob for safe keeping.

Packing List.jpg

CRAP! I just realized that my laminated packing lists are not on my laminated packing list. How on earth will I find them?!?! Time for yet another update. I'm on the 5th iteration at this point. I'm going to need to implement a revision control system so that I don't pack an outdated packing list. This whole topic is making me dizzy.
    Max Wedge likes this.
  8. GoDoMore

GoDoMore life in the fast lane...full speed ahead

Oddometer:
    Hope you remembered to alphabetize your list this time..
    Len and ChicoProf like this.
  9. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Oh you bastard!
    GoDoMore and Max Wedge like this.
  10. Vrode

Vrode Long. Standing. Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice list. Not alphabetized and I'd have to list the first aid kit stuff separately so as not to miss something. I didn't see bug spray on the list.....
  11. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going on a four day trip next week, so far my list looks like this:

Bike stuff
    Clothes
    Electronics
    Credit Card

I may have to look once or twice at HondaRider's lists to double check against mine....thanks HR for posting them, I actually will double check against them!
  12. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I certainly understand better to have it not need it than to need it and not have it, but, there is also the "back packers mentality". Everything is weight, weight is the enemy. If you have ever backpacked for any distance, you will understand my point.
  13. TrainReck

TrainReck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I think I've got it...

I take the spare pannier key from the handlebar bag, use that to get the spare ignition key out of the left pannier, use that to unlock the seat to get the $400 cash.

:D
    Tejas99 and Vrode like this.
  14. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    LMAO. My DD214 says I've "back packed" and "camped" quite extensively. This level of preparedness has served me pretty well from Boy Scout to soldier to backcountry riding in the Rockies. Do I have a propensity for overpacking? YES! But I never take more than I can carry and I'm always prepared to ditch unecessary gear if the going gets too tough. Besides, even with all this, the GSA will happily loft wheelies, carve corners, and out maneuver an unladen Road Glide.
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    You solved the puzzle!!!!

I might have to reconsider my packing schema now...just in case one of you sees my bike parked at Sting Ray's next week.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  16. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Clearly, you have thought this through and have "survived" other trips, so I will shut up now and await the madness that is sure to follow!
  17. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    You make a valid point. I apologize for being overly defensive. I do enjoy the exercise of packing as light as possible when heading out on a dirtbike with only my small Kriega backpack and some tools. For this trip, I'm just utilizing the available space and maybe overpacking a bit for comedic effect. I could certainly cut the clothing in half and do without some stuff, but I've got all this available space and, at 200+ lbs, I'm still able to comfortably move the bike around. Besides, it'll be funny to keep pulling stuff out the panniers on the roadside like a clown car while my newfound HD friends watch in amazement.
  18. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    My only tip would be to get those exofficio underwear, all you really need is 2, but, 3 makes more sense if you want a back up, wash one each night or morning in the shower, let dry somewhere on the bike, and you have eliminated a lot of volume. It really works. Less laundry, less volume, can do the same with Tshirts, if you get the nike dryfit stuff works as well. If I packed like you I my wife would know I had gone completely mad. Throw a couple of things in a bag, and...whatever I have forgotten, I will buy when I get where I am going...
    Golden955 likes this.
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Andy Strapz had a good idea. When your undies are getting close to their use by date, put em aside for your next trip. Then just toss em when you have finished with them. You could even take the the wifes as well I suppose.
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't cut the clothes in half! They will be ruined! How in the world could you wear half a pair of jeans, for example?

@Woody2627: was the suggestion to wear the wife's old panties secretly a comment on GS riders in general?