1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Three Clydesdales and a Zebra - An Unlikely Herd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Aug 10, 2016.

1. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the event of being separated from your bike...I am utterly amazed that you have not included an emergency signaling device (i.e., whistle) and I.C.E. information Road I.D. bracelet among your personal carry items.:hmmmmm
  2. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    12 hours left...

Lawn is mowed...bills are paid...4Runner is washed...ready to go!

Just sitting on the bike and making brrrrmmm noises at this point.

Dash.jpg
    ChicoProf likes this.
  3. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    What's the doohickey on the bottom right that's "acquiring signal"?
  4. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Satelite Radio Receiver
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Well, I've got my wallet and I'm carrying at least 1 laminated card with my ICE information/insurance info/blood type. There may be more cards in various pockets since I've lost track of the many revisions.
  6. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    But where's the damn whistle???
  7. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Slow start already.

Anxious to get this party started and slightly bummed out by our late-ish 7:00AM departure time, I texted Bob and Dave a few minutes ago.

Me - "So...are we going to hit the Taconic Parkway to I84 to I81 in the morning?"

Dave - "I dunno. We'll go wherever my GPS says."

Me - "Your GPS may say take the New York State Thruway. That's a crappy ride."

Dave - "We'll figure it out at the diner in Chatham, NY"

Me - "We're going to breakfast before we get started?"

Dave - "Yup"

Me - "That's good to know. I would have eaten before we left"

I can't help but think that we may not be reading from the same sheet of music. I have a strong suspicion that this is foreshadowing of something. I'm not sure what, exactly, but something...like red skies in the morning.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  8. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What it is it that you might need? Something with a Z, zanex, or Zoloft, or an L, lithium? However, on this point, I agree with you, if you are going to go, GO already!
  9. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He can't leave yet. iPad has apps to update and unread email. Gotta get those cleaned up before departure.

Have a great trip!

Jathkajoe
  10. Bammer

Bammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you guys have a safe trip. If you don't like crowded spaces and 6 lanes of traffic at a standstill, then stay away from Atlanta where the traffic is horrible.
    Subscribed :lurk
  11. ScooterInVegas

ScooterInVegas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a road trip today. I'm sitting here revising my "packing list" and now I have to find someone that laminates... Damn this thread!

I'll watch this thread to see how long till three Harley guys use the GSA rider as a trampoline. :-)
  12. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe travels my friend. Look forward to the updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
  13. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this - I aspire to pack and plan like this. Usually my aspirations and abilities are in serious mortal combat, and abilities win out every time :-)
  14. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am I the only noticing that this could be genesis for the Wild Hogs sequel?
  15. Takin'aTrip

Takin'aTrip I have miles to go before I sleep

Oddometer:
    ...and which one of them will smell like a cowboy lawyer to one of the others...or sumpthin...lol
  16. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    A motorcycle trip with another couple was the final nail in the coffin of our relationship. It had been slightly toxic before the trip, but rapidly went down hill from there. I am not wishing this on you, but the golden rule that should have been established early is that if you don't want to do what the other one wants to, then go do what you want and meet up later. That would have saved my Maine trip, but we didn't implement that strategy until after people were pissed off and irritated.

Be careful.

John
    chudzikb and Orovillan like this.
  17. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Taconic!! Yes!! The only reasons I can think of for choosing the NY Thruway over the Taconic are: a) you don't like riding hills, turns, sweepers, etc; b) beautiful vistas bore you after a heavy diner breakfast; c) you have frequent need to use an actual rest room vice just pulling off at Bauer Rd like everyone else does and peeing in the bushes (no official rest/gas stops as exist on the Thruway); c) you absolutely love riding in a mostly straight line; d) you get a thrill out of passing semis and dealing with inattentive cagers.

The best strategy is to hack Dave's GPS (hee hee) and then just meekly agree that the ride should follow whatever route it suggests!
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    A beautiful late summer day broke in Western Mass and I was up by 5:30 to enjoy it. My wife was out running so I put out the birthday cards from the kids and I. Tough sell...heading out on a 10 day road trip on my wife's birthday...she's a saint of sorts...lucky for me.

We said our goodbyes...kissed some kids...and I was on the road before the sun had cleared the trees. 6:45 and I was in Bob's driveway. He was kicked back in a lawn chair in the garage watching TV. He said that he was expecting me much earlier. We kicked the tires a bit, shared a couple Aleve, and stood around waiting for Dave and Rick.

At some point, Bob let me know that we were no longer going to the Harley Factory in York. Dave had texted him that we wouldn't be going and, apparently, that was that. I was initially irritated by the last minute change, but the Harley tour wasn't really my idea in the first place, so I let it go. The position of Rider #4 doesn't really carry much influence so I committed to just go with the flow.

Dave and Rick were there a few minutes later and we hit the road by 7:00. On time departure...that makes me happy at least.

Moments later, we were weaving through side streets and busy intersections...working our way towards the outskirts of town. Apparently, Dave was relying solely on his officially authorized HD GPS which, to my eye, doesn't exactly pick the best routes. All along the way, I was mentally noting the better alternatives that we could have taken if he had just told me where we were going. Rider #4 keeps his helpful advice to himself.

First stop was a big breakfast in Canaan or Hillsdale, NY.

Attached Files:

Golden955 and Titlerider like this.
  19. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, so I'm sure this is just going to reinforce my proclivity to take solo trips but I can't look away! :nod In for the duration :lurk
    kickstandsup and Orovillan like this.
  20. sherpa7

sherpa7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely following along!!!
    Ccceric likes this.