Three days of the Smokies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TavisB, Aug 13, 2019.

1. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I rented a cabin near Cherokee to home base out of for an extended weekend of riding on our 9x0 KTM Adventures. Day one started out with a stop at the Wheels Through Time Museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we got the bikes unloaded at the cabin we hit some great twisty roads right out of the front door. No traffic and very enjoyable. I actually was starting to get fatigued by the end of some of the sections due to the mental effort involved, which was a nice feeling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video:

2. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Day two we did about an 80 mile loop around the area and saw some impressive sights. We also did a little bit of hiking (see waterfall pics below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended the day with some good food truck eats and some microbrews in Bryson City.

[​IMG]

Day 2 Video:

bomose, bobw and Amphib like this.
  3. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Day 3 we saw more great paved sections, more waterfalls, and a bit of off-pavement riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we got onto the four lane not far from the cabin, I accelerated while merging and thought I felt the clutch slip a bit. Weird. A bit later, yep, it's slipping at high RPMs. I didn't have much free play in the clutch lever so I adjusted it and thought it helped, but an hour or so later I felt it slipping again.

We eventually made it to "The Tail of the Dragon".

[​IMG]

Not a lot of traffic there for once, but the still wet in places road and me nursing the clutch meant taking it at a leisurely pace. I pulled the clutch when I got home and found that the springs were shot, the pack height was almost out of spec, and there is a bit of notching in my clutch basket. So one more thing to do this winter :).

All told a great little mini vacation. I want to take my FZ-07 down there next, I think it would be a blast on those roads.

Video:

bomose, bobw, docm26 and 2 others like this.