1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Three dudes ride South America on V-Stroms (Philly to Ushuaia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pjm204, Jul 9, 2015.

1. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's this all about?
    We are The Unknown Roads. Three long-time best friends tackling an epic journey from The City of Brotherly Love to The Southernmost City in the world (Philly to Ushuaia for the laypeople). We set off on this adventure in just 72 days (September 20th departure) as of the time of this post. There's lots we still have to accomplish before we leave but we're determined.

Why's it called The Unknown Roads?
    The trip needed a name for a number of reasons, but namely so we could be distinctive among all the other people doing incredibly amazing trips like ours. Matt and I (I'm Patrick by the way) sat down and brainstormed for a couple hours. We scoured the internet for motivation, we jotted things down, jokes were made, there was a process. Ultimately it was a song and a poem that we felt represented our thoughts well, wasn't taken, and had a good ring to it. To me Pennywise's song Unknown Road (inspired by Frost) is about that feeling most of us experience from time to time, "did I do enough with my life, did I live well?" The Unknown Roads is our attempt at making the most of the time we have.

So you're currently content with your surroundings
    You possess a vague sense of accomplishment
    Did you give all you had to give or did you
    give conservative
    Do you think that all the years that passed you
    by we're all well spent
    Pictures of everyday life spark memories
    And certain things pull triggers in your mind
    What would be different now if you were
    there than here.
    What passages, what fantasies lie just
    beyond the unknown road
    Do you know, the miracles that could
    be found they're waiting down the
    unknown road, so it goes
    A few more cornerstones that could be yours
    Ever get the thought you were mistaken?
    -Pennywise-​

Who's in this trio?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You mean you're not taking KLR's?
    Nope, we're taking the other most boring bike around, the venerable DL650. The bike has proven its ability to us to endure any punishment thrown at it. We promise to thoroughly abuse them for the entire journey.

Prior to the trip we'll be sharing some of what we're doing to prepare for the trip, then we'll do our best to maintain an active online presence while on the trip, and at the end we intend to produce a short documentary.

We hope that you'll follow along, share your insights/criticisms with us, and maybe even meet/host us along the way!

You can find out more information at:

www.theunknownroads.com
    www.facebook.com/theunknownroads
    www.instagram.com/theunknownroads
  2. matt-c6v9

matt-c6v9 Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  3. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we're working hard on trip planning. New blog post up yesterday! We'll also be putting out some review videos for some of the gear we'll be using on the trip.

68 days until departure :D
  4. MotoLifeChallenge

MotoLifeChallenge Future Traveler

Oddometer:
    I'm in
  5. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving for SA from Brooklyn, NY in October. Maybe we'll meet on the road.
  6. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this
  7. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We should definitely exchange info and try to link up. We're going to ride to southern Cali with stops in Colorado and Utah. Then we'll tackle Baja before taking the ferry into mainland Mexico. What kind of bike are you taking on the trip? Are you riding all the way down? What's your timeline like?
  8. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Leaving for Sturgis on 30th then to Alaska maybe on 3rd or 4th. Will head south to Ushuaia after Prudhoe Bay so maybe our path will cross at some point. I have no schedule to keep so no specific deadline to be in Ushuaia.
  9. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which month are you leaving? It'd be great to run into other advriders!
  10. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    I'm in! I live in North County San Diego. You are welcome to crash here when passing through. I have tools if needed, including welder...no skills so you'll need to know how to use them. . I have 4 acres so we could have a mini rally if locals want to see you off. I'll buy the beer, bring tents...

Carl
    Limey1973 and Rizzly like this.
  11. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thank you for the offer. We'll be passing right through San Diego!
  12. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    July 30th going north. Yeah, would be great to run into you guys too.. Think I might have a riding partner in Central America.. he is from FL and we met in Colombia Gringo group in Facebook.. we are talking the possibility of meeting up in Durango Mexico and do the Devil Spine before heading south. Other than the Devil's Spine and a visit to Tequila distillery, everything else is up in the air so it will depend on day to day.
    pjm204 likes this.
  13. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I suppose as time gets closer to our departure we can see where you are. We're still refining our route planning at the moment. Only 14 days until your departure, that's when it's getting REAL, excitement/nervousness are probably setting in. I'm sure like me you've been thinking about this trip for a very long time, it's got to be an incredible feeling that it's coming to fruition.

The people I mentioned to two years ago that I'd be heading to Argentina in 2015 can't believe I'm actually doing it.
    95Monster likes this.
  14. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    So much things to do and so little time...
    To tell you the truth, I am nervous as hell and kind worried.. Why? My bike is not together yet.. almost finished though! I am trying to work the bracket for Mosko Moto saddlebag and once that's done then I will finish bike up getting it ready to fire up for first time this weekend. Take it to shop for test-n-tune and state inspection then do some break-in riding for next 10-12 days. So little room for trail & errors.

[​IMG]

And in the nutshell, I am also trying to finish up the Timber Frame project. Timber Frame is known as Post & Beam that is held together with mortise, tenon, and wooden pegs. The problem I am having is not the kit itself but the client who is retired Dodge Cummings Diesel engine engineer so we don't really see eye to eye on few things engineer-wise.. it is frustrating trying to finish the project.. But the raising day with crane company will be on July 24th and 25th. Once it is up I get my payout for the trip!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be glad when July 30th gets here and I'm shipping out!!!!!! See you on the road!
  15. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you're not alone. I'll speak for the group and say we're nervous as well. For me, I'm giving notice at my job in 2 or 3 weeks so that I have about a month to tie up loose ends. It doesn't help that I start a new project next week that I will have to bail out on after only 2 weeks (I will feel slightly bad).

Our bikes are also not ready. I've been riding my bike for the last 3 years and it just hit 70,000 miles. I have quite a bit of maintenance to do. My rear shock needs to be rebuilt, just sent my steering damper off to be rebuilt, my front forks are leaking (I'm going to lengthen my front forks when I replace the seals), lots of wiring needs to be done for accessories, etc.

But I think it's all the normal life stuff that is the most daunting when you pick up and leave for 6+ months.

Keep in touch, good luck with your timber project and also with getting your bike ready. Look forward to crossing paths along the way, I want to check out that Dual Sportster!

95Monster and The_Scottsman like this.
  16. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    I feel better knowing I am not the only person! haha Gotta love last-minute stuff.. Ok better get off the computer and get busy! Sounds like we got few stories to tell over the beer someday.. Later!
    pjm204 likes this.
  17. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also I just realized that I've been following your build for awhile! Took me a minute to put 2 and 2 together.
  18. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just made my travel medicine appointment. What shots are people getting before South America? I know that I will need Yellow Fever, but what else do you recommend? Also what prescriptions should I have filled prior to going?
  19. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Depending on your insurance.. My co-payment would be $2.60 so I went ahead and had dr prescript me 6 months worth of malaria and diarrhea medicine that is to be used when pepto bismol fail after few tablets for few days. I think Hep C is needed too but not sure. I already got lifetime shot (3 shots within 6 months but the second shots would have to be done in exact 30 days after first shot then 3rd one on 6th month).
  20. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard about Hep c being required. I have received the Hep A and Hep B vaccines. I'll probably get the malaria pills but I'm not a big fan of pills in general so I likely won't take them.

Also speaking of insurance, I'm still figuring out what I'll be doing for insurance on the trip.