1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Three dudes ride South America on V-Stroms (Philly to Ushuaia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pjm204, Jul 9, 2015.

1. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, you will want to get flu shot just in case too.. I can say that I went to Cartagena (Colombia) after my flu vaccine has expired and I got sick with flu down there. Also, I think it is better if your family doctor prescript your medicine instead of Travel Clinic facility because if it comes from your family doctor then insurance will pay for it but if it came from travel clinic then most likely your insurance won't cover. You may need to double-check with your insurance, though. The travel clinic should be able to answer this to you, which is how I learned about it so I had my dr prescript for me the medicine. You may be correct about A & B but I got a Twinrix which would cover all three A & B for lifetime until I die. Just want to get it over with so if I decide to travel somewhere else on a whim I don't need to worry about it.
    pjm204 likes this.
  2. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm giving my notice at work next week so after that I will have 2 weeks of health insurance. Then I likely won't have it for a few weeks until I get the insurance for the trip.
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hmm I guess you better get busy with doctor visit! haha!! And beside you can get medicines in Latin America real cheap without dr prescription so not a big deal. That's why I was saying it depends on your insurance.. You probably are better off getting medicine down south for cheap than in Philly if your insurance coverage isn't that good.
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My insurance is okay, I'll have it until Mid August. But yea, getting it down there is likely a better idea.
  5. Superhawk

Superhawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck Pat - Ill be following along - if you don't get your bike finished up I have a nice KLR that could make that trip - new TKcs on it too. :)
  6. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's my old KLR doing? It's actually one of the few bikes I've sold that I sometimes miss.

We're committed to riding the same bike so DL650 it is. Mine could leave tomorrow, but there is a lot of stuff I would like to do to it to put my mind at ease and to make the trip better. Glad you found this thread!
  7. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interested in seeing how your prep goes, good luck!
  8. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have any specific questions about our prep, feel free to ask. Also I posted a handful of blog updates so check it out and subscribe!
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to get in on this.
    pjm204 likes this.
  10. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    The vaccine discussion made me think of first aid kits which made me think of this article. Great info on first aid kits, or what to put in yours. http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/181890-1.html. For remote travel, there's a lot of good info out there on what drugs to buy and how to use them-worth spending some time researching and talk to your doctor. He can probably give you all kinds of samples for free.
    jcatl likes this.
  11. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome advice, I'll be sure to read the article. Tim is kind of a whiz with first aid kits so he'll be in charge of that arena.
  12. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurkerI'll be waiting for this report.
    pjm204 likes this.
  13. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I shall sign up for couch surfing. While I have hosted people from the tent space thread here and have stayed with random people while on trips, I think couchsurfing will make this task a little easier.
  14. Superhawk

Oddometer:
    Its doing great - I love that bike, its definitely one of my favorites - I did make a few mods to it - added a big front rotor and SV650 dual piston caliper and braided line - otherwise that's it.
    Ill be following along - best of luck to you and the guys for a safe trip -- same guys I met in philly right ?
  15. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I've been out of the KLR game too long. I've never heard of the SV650 caliper upgrade, that has to be a major upgrade.
    I believe you met Tim, the three of us have been friends for over 15 years so I think we'll be okay for another 6 months together :)
  16. Superhawk

Oddometer:
    it made a big difference, Ive ridden another KLR with the stock front brake on it since upgrading and wondered how I ever rode mine like that.
  17. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I did some shopping this weekend for trip gear.
    Sleeping bag - REI Travel Down and Thermolite 25 degree liner
    Titanium spork
    Old Navy Go Dry Shirts and shorts
  18. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any time I travel out of the country my Doc gives me Cipro, Lomatil, and Zofran just to have with in case of an unknown travelers bug or Norovirus. Gelmicin is a good anti itch cream to buy South of the border, works for bug bites, skin irritations etc..
    jcatl and pjm204 like this.
  19. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My travel doc appointment is on Friday so hopefully they'll prescribe me the things that I need. I'll keep the ones you mentioned in mind. Thanks!
  20. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    I'm in guys this will be super fun!. I'm trying to hit the road down to Colombia from New York in February/March on my XT250. If you haven't yet, make sure you check out Tio JDowns thread and the more recent but equally informational Junyah who is currently in Peru, they are great guys and always willing to help with current info. I've been planing the trip for about a year and a half and may have some usable info so if you have any questions be sure to message me and i'll share what I've come up with.

Ride, Smile, Blink Slower!

D.L.C.L