Three dudes ride South America on V-Stroms (Philly to Ushuaia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pjm204, Jul 9, 2015.

1. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I promise the Peru blog post will be informative and uplifting :)

Since Tim is sick, I'm making that my mission for today.
    ONandOFF likes this.
  2. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    So you can read it in your little cubicle at work, when the ride reporters are out gathering intel? ;)
  3. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog
    All of your blogs have been informative and uplifting! There are occasions when I wish there was a photo to go with a description (for example, that accident you fought to get around) or a location with a photo, maps or road numbers... but beggers can't be choosers...

Must be Savannah withdrawal syndrone. Get well, Tim!
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, honestly, the most interesting, most terrible, most epic things are often the ones we just don't capture, it's also just nearly impossible to remember everything. I say that as I'm trying to recollect everything that we did in Peru.
  5. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it. I've gone to Ecuador with the resolve to keep a journal of notes to help remember the intricacies of the trip, and frankly each time I failed miserably after the first or second day. It's sensory overload and constant activity. Factor in the velocity of time and next thing you know, it's over. I've come back with 6,000 - 8,000 photos from trips and wished I'd had better notes. I know it pays to record our activities and thoughts but there's also new experiences taking place which are tough to break out of in order to go back and reminisce. Godspeed.
  6. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a definite balance. I've kind of resigned to the fact that these posts will do a great deal for me someday to recount the amazing places/people/things that I've seen. It's a lot of work but I think it will prove worthwhile.
  7. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Definitely! I think we're biased internally to enjoy ourselves for the moment. Later on, it will seem like a bigger regret to blow it off to partake in a plethora of activities which will be difficult to recall in any detail. You can evade that regret later if you can find the discipline now.
  8. bingo43

bingo43 ¡Que Viva!

Oddometer:
    Great pic...Now you can add cattle rustling to your resume. They were probably stealing it from someone? jaja
  9. bingo43

bingo43 ¡Que Viva!

Oddometer:
    It is highly worthwhile. Thanks so much. I have written reports and have not. I refer back to the written ones very often. I share some of the experiences with my Spanish classes when we talk about Mexico or Guatemala. The ones I did not write... I refer back to them mentally. Those memories are not as crisp in my mind. I love re-living the moments as I share them with students. My students and I watched "Que Tan Lejos". A strange travel movie set in Ecuador. Your pictures and conversation about the volcanoes there added a new dimension to the discussion. Especially the Chimborazo info. etc. Gracias Amigos!
    pjm204 likes this.
  10. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on the movie. I checked Netflix and they aren't showing it now but will keep an eye out. Quito - Cuenca is an easy one on the pan-american these days. By the release date, it's possible we were in Ecuador during some of the filming. We were headed up Chimborazo when the van blew a water reserviour at 13,300'. I ended up bypassing the tank and filling the cooling system from a nearby stream - it was actually good enough for our primo to limp it back to Salitre. Good times...
    pjm204 likes this.
  11. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
  12. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Mission scrapped. So what's going on, Tim still sick, Tim got better and you shipped out, floating around the desert/salar, meeting back up with Azure, Roel, and David in La Paz? Or did you find some girlfriends? Hope all is well!
  14. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, I never said I was going to post the blog, I just wrote it.

We're in Calama Chile currently. Finally out of Bolivia yay!

SojourningMendicant likes this.
  15. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Good to hear, Pat.
    David just went back into Bolivia! In La Paz at the moment, it appears that he, Roel, and Azure are in it together and heading to cross the salar.
  16. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:

Our extended family had a cattle operation outside Cochabamba from '57 to '77 when it was nationalized. You want to be treated rudely by people you don't understand? You want a very expensive lesson in international relations? ¡Ayííí!

Roads? Hah! Mí Tío had a surplus C 47 that he used to haul vitals. He was the "Padrino" of the Peace Corps in the Alto Beni department. Perhaps there are some old PCV's following?

The ethnic Latino population of the region at the time was maybe 10%. The tallest building in town was two stories.

Almost all Latinos in Bolivia Live in La Paz, Santa Cruz and Potosí. Hey, Morales is an Aymará, and that isn't even the largest ethnicity in the country. Bolivía, like Afghanistan. was created by Europeans drawing lines on a map.

What you guys have just ridden through, is a hodge-podge of peoples glommed together with no real cultural ties, not many language connections and very few geographic ties. It is a lesson in what we called, "World Geography" in junior high school. You're taking a brain picture of the place, at the time you did it. And, oh how you'll remember it! For the rest of your time you get to compare.

So if I were an Indio, in Bolivia today... And, if I had to live on "maybe" $2,000 in cash money, in an inhospitable climate, with a fat, sassy wife who wore a bowler and got pregnant whether I was involved or not, and I was eating guinea pigs as my 'protein,' you bet your ass I'd drink chicha fuerte by the liter, chew coca and rob gringos!

All part of the experience. And you guys are certainly loving it!

Ride on!
    c.peet, poweralleys and ONandOFF like this.
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    I was a PCV in Honduras, CA several hundred years ago. At that time someone had set up a shrimp processing operation on the out islands. It was cheaper to process the shrimp there than haul them all the way to distant markets. One day a launch with an accountant and two armed soldiers arrived at the Shrimp Processing Plant. The accountant studied the books and told the owner, "You owe 50 cents for every pound of shrimp you have processed." The owner put the key to the plant on the table and left.
    goodcat likes this.
  18. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Yikes!
    Those are the kind of things which have created reluctance to invest in ventures within these countries.
    But let's not pretend some variation of that couldn't ever happen in this one.
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  19. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:

I saw sort of the same thing happen in Panama. I really can't speak to all the details but the Corp set up a collective shrimp growing operation just west of the old Zone. It was slick as shit and really cutting edge for the mid 70's, well thought out, micro financed and some really good minds involved. Then, "along came a spider..."
  20. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    No hijack intended, but one last, quick, short story about CRIME. A PCV riding a bus in the Honduran capital had with him a small white paper bag. He put the bag on the empty seat next to him. He turned his head and the bag was gone. The bag contained his stool sample he was taking to his doctor.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan and Dan Diego like this.