1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Three dudes ride South America on V-Stroms (Philly to Ushuaia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pjm204, Jul 9, 2015.

1. facundonu

facundonu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good luck and we'll be waiting for you down here in patagonia (neuquen province, argentina).
    will be following the thread!
  2. mr_ed

mr_ed Toolbag

Oddometer:
    I'm in! It'll be good to see some stroms showing folks that they're capable of some bada** traveling too!
    pjm204 likes this.
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Checking in on you and see where you are at right now.. Working on electrical stuff on my bike right now.. Hope to leave in under 2 weeks from today. Finger crossed!
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice and offer of future advice, greatly appreciated. We're working pretty hard to plan but if previous trips are any indication, we will likely plan less than many people do. That's why they call it an adventure, right?

5. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! We are still intending to leave September 20th. I actually just gave my two weeks notice at my job about a half hour ago.

This trip is now starting to feel VERY real. I hope we can cross paths on the way, I want to check out that sporty in person.

95Monster likes this.
  6. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, we'd love to meet you all down there!
  7. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck with the preps guys!
    pjm204 likes this.
  8. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it's been awhile since I've last posted. It's been mostly heads down with planning and prep for the past month. So let me catch you up since I've been slacking.

In the last week of July, to be specific on July 31st, I made the trip official. I gave notice at the place I've spent the last 4+ years building a "career". My call with HR was relatively impersonal, speaking with someone I'd never exchanged words with. She asked how long I had been planning this trip for. I almost laughed but kept my composure and vaguely responded something to the effect of "awhile". I was told I should have let them know earlier so that they could have worked with me but ultimately my prior employment is the type of place that doesn't tend to keep people that aren't staying, like most jobs.

After my 2 weeks, which was shortened to 1 (they paid me for 2 :) ), I began the task of procuring everything needed to be on the road for six months. Some of it was graciously provided or heavily discounted by sponsors, some of it was purchased from my now, fixed income. Since my current riding gear is 4 years old and heavily tattered, I opted to replace all of it. My wardrobe quickly became fast wicking, my socks above the calf, my underwear antimicrobial. The planning became my job, and business was good.

In the middle of August I headed cross country in a truck filled with what will become my life's work after this trip. A brief hiatus from the planning, a chance to see the country, and maybe something to keep me from traveling in perpetuity. August was a month of many changes.

So what's the current status? We leave in just 16 days. What was once an idea will soon be reality. My bedroom has an ever-growing grid of trip necessities, neatly laid out for quick identity. My bike received a significant suspension modification involving a lathe, DR650 forks, and some parts from Cogent Dynamics.

The updates will become more frequent soon. I hope to meet some of you on the road. Follow along, reach out, give advice, it's all welcomed.

More @ www.theunknownroads.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, good luck on your adventure and I'll be following along as I get ready for my adventure to South America too. I'll be leaving at the end of November but will be taking a short cut with shipping my DL1000 to Colombia. Maybe we will cross paths?
  10. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Keep us posted on your whereabouts. Send a message when your in SA! Good luck with your prep.
  11. caliform

caliform Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likewise also leaving from San Francisco for Ushuaia in late Nov / December, and following you guys! Good luck with the prep and godspeed!
  12. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Glad to see there will be more advriders on the route.

What are people's thoughts on anti-malarials?
  13. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I brought Malarone with me on two trips through SA. Didn't spend much time in the jungles so I didn't take them. I did get altitude sickness in Bolivia so will always carry meds for that. Really hard to find the right (best) drug in some countries. Do the research and carry the right medications. Be prepared. First aid kit a must. You'll have a great time. Maybe we'll cross paths in ARG in January. Chou
  14. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This report should be good. You new jacket looks a little light. You will get rained on...a lot...and you will get cold the further you go south. Tae care and ride safe.
  15. gerardoviavia

gerardoviavia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My name is Gerardo.
    I am the owner of a hostel in Copan Ruinas, Honduras
    Ill give all bike riders a free cuba libre............so just pop in
    grtz
  16. Team Vegas

Team Vegas ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>---

Oddometer:
    Subscribed and tagging along!

I'm in Las Vegas and always working, but if you need anything we have a great riders network here let me know. Tent space is always a posability.
  17. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll probably get some but I do not intend to take them for the duration of the trip as my doctor is recommending (what does he know anyway :D ).

Yea, the new jacket is definitely a little tight, mostly just in the arms. I can fit the two liners it comes with underneath and a base layer or two. I should be okay. As for rain, I'm definitely no stranger to it. I'm not bringing any heated gear but up hear I ride all Winter long regardless of temperature and use studded tires when there's white stuff on the ground. I hope we'll be prepared enough for all conditions.

Awesome! Sounds like we will have to stop in. I don't drink so one of my buddies can get a double haha.

Thanks! greatly appreciated. At present we're not passing directly through Vegas but if we end up there, I'll keep you posted.
  18. facundonu

facundonu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    best "drug" for altittude sickness is the natural way. people in northern argentina, northern chile, bolivia and peru have been chewing coca leaves since the beggining of the universe. they can't be wrong... (nothing to do with cocaine, you need a whole tree and a complex chemestry lab to produce a gram).
    i live in southern argentina, in a low area. when i travel north i get some leaves and that is enough. it's also a very good "pick me up", truck drivers all over the country ussually chew them for this reason.
    i don't know about tropical illnesses (luckily none of those around here) but you'll be fine with mate and coca for everything else. :D
  19. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    I do believe that these guys may be pitching a tent on my property. If folks in the area want to send them off in SoCal style, stay posted as they get near. I'll provide the libations. If things get crazy enough, I'll break out the ADV brand and we'll see who's man (or woman) enough to sport new body art.
    [​IMG]
  20. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:

This. I brew a tea from them the night before so I have it to drink through the next day, I don't care for chewing them myself. They can be found in any market, cheap. You can also get it in powdered form and mix with your favorite beverage.
    Best of luck on your trip, you're going to love it, and mybe we can meet up as I head back North.
    Feliz viaje,

David