1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Three dudes ride South America on V-Stroms (Philly to Ushuaia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pjm204, Jul 9, 2015.

1. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck
    pjm204 likes this.
  2. CaveLake

CaveLake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best wishes guys! I'll be following along and maybe taking some notes! My '09 Strom has 50k on it currently and I'm hoping to do a similar trip in a few years.
  3. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see a bunch of stroms roaming the country. You guys are having a great time and i appreciate you letting me read along.
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You won't regret the trip or the bike choice!

Thanks for following, always nice to know people are reading and appreciating.
  5. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the hard work in writing this report.I enjoy it very much.Best wishes.
  6. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hopefully we'll have another post up tomorrow. We spent all day prepping the bikes for Baja.
  7. Trad_A_Rad_Cuss

Trad_A_Rad_Cuss 2015 G650GS

Oddometer:
    I am in. Good luck guys, I hope you all find peace and joy. Seems like it will be a great adventure indeed.
    pjm204 likes this.
  8. sean.flynn

sean.flynn Just this guy, you know?

Oddometer:
    I'm in. How could I not be, with all the awesome Strom action?
  9. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you both aboard!
  10. kevinsinvegas

kevinsinvegas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Baja is awesome. Went down a couple years ago to San Ignacio, and then out to the bay and petted grey whales. Totally unforgettable.

Did you guys post anything on the bike prep you did before you left? My bike prep starts tomorrow.

Ride safe.
  11. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kevin, we posted a bit on our blog about bike prep but we're here to answer any questions you may have. I can say that it was a lot of work. My bike has been my daily rider for the last 3.5 years yet I still spent weeks prepping it. I replaced almost every wear item, bearings, suspension, seals, fluids, etc. It left in as good shape as possible with everything I felt necessary to carry me to Argentina with everything I wanted. So far it has been great. Sure there is a tiny piece of me that wonders if it was unwise to bring a high mileage bike. But hey, we've become somewhat inseparable over the years.
    lqgsrider likes this.
  12. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmmIs the Adventure over... Any updates? Your ride report started off great and then it just stopped. Hopefully, you're riding, enjoying and are safe with the intentions of updating. :type

Looking forward to reading and seeing your travels.:lurk
  13. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will be posting today. We're shooting for once or twice a week. Our last post was Wednesday so we're still on track! :D
  14. adv397

adv397 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you are doing the exact ride I dream about someday soon I hope to do the same with my two best buddies I have a 14 liter strom and would love to put it through its paces on a trip like this good luck and have a blast I will be watching and reading !
  15. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make it happen, you won't regret the things you do, only the things you don't do. Thanks for following along!
    kevinsinvegas likes this.
  16. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our second week on the road and the good times have continued. We started the trip at a pace that would have quickly worn us ragged. Our time was spent immersing ourselves in the rugged landscape of the South West, some of us even fighting it at times. As we've slowed down our focus has shifted from the looming monuments in the distance to people who inhabit these landscapes.

Moab treated us to our first collective hostel experience. While shedding some weight and gearing up to hit the White Rim Trail we had the good fortune to meet a most excellent couple from the UK. Ed and Rachel have been traveling on their Honda C90's for over 14 months in North America and are currently finishing up the Trans American Trail. Meeting them was a truly humbling experience. They share the same Argentinian end goal but as Ed stated, "If you see us again, something has gone terribly wrong with your trip."

Check out there site: http://wanderonahonda.co.uk/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On our way out of Moab, Neal's keen love for food steered us well yet again. Although known for their pastries it was breakfast burritos all around at Love Muffin. Pat did indulge in a blueberry bacon muffin, which going off the expression on his face seemed nothing short of a mild sexual experience. We headed south to Arizona via Monument valley which was truly incredible. The unfamiliar landscape made it difficult to focus on the road but we eventually arrived safely in Flagstaff, Arizona to visit Matt's friends, the amazing Seth & Kande.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seth and Kande operate an overland expedition company called ADVENTURE DRIVEN.They focus on excursions to both the Grand Canyon and Baja. They graciously took us in and immediately the nerdy motorcycle banter began. We barely had our boots off before Seth's kitchen exploded with maps of Baja, Mexico. The beta session quickly sidetracked from intel and route planning to stories and gear. Finally unable to formulate sentences, we needed to refuel with our proven dietary choice....more burritos.

[​IMG]

The sobering morning cleared our brains of the cobwebs left by tortillas and cervezas. We finally hit the books and planned a route to include amazing beachside campsites, neat towns, and great eats. We spent a little while tooling around Seth's favorite room in his house, his immaculately kept garage. Unable to resist another night of amazing motorcycle nerdom, we crashed yet again and set out early the next morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Flagstaff it was onward to Las Vegas. This stop was strictly business, we had zero intention of having a "Vegas experience." I (Patrick) will be starting a firearm manufacturing company when I return home and had set up a meeting with the legendary, Bob Irwin of The Gun Store.

I walked into the shop, decked out in sandals, the latest in vagrant hiker attire, and cordially asked for Bob. After a few head turns I was directed to Bob's assistant who kindly paged him and allowed me into his office. From there on it was a stream of non-stop conversation for three hours. I was given a tour, saw the guns Bob designed, and ultimately learned a great deal. I hope our paths cross again after this trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gang reconvened for dinner at an unassuming Korean-Mexican fusion place, on the outskirts of Vegas. It was a hidden oasis, buried in the vast wastelands of strip malls baking in the desert heat. Aptly named Ko-Mex, it was freaking incredible. With our bellies full and our eyes tired from the constant raping of pulsing lights we set out to the Mojave desert.

After one last seizure inducing stop for gas we left the mind numbing landscape of Nevada and entered a Dr. Suess like landscape ]of California's Mojave desert. After a bit of searching and avoiding the suicidal kangaroo rats, we stumbled upon a war memorial which past travelers had camped near. While setting up the tent, we attempted to hide from an approaching vehicle. We cut our headlamps, but failed to realize our ultra reflective TRON suits could be seen from space in the desert darkness. After watching the vehicle fumble through the surrounding jeep trails, it eventually turned and stopped directly next to us. Blinded by their headlights, a figure exited and a soft feminine voice inquired "Hey can we camp near you guys?"After agreeing neither of us were serial killers, we decided they could camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around 2am we were woken up by howls, screeches and chirps. Hyena, chupacabra, jersey devil? Nope, just a pack of coyotes celebrating a kill. We awoke to a beautiful morning and realized there was bouldering nearby. Tim and Pat donned their shoes and got a bit of climbing in.

After a late morning start we hit the road for our last stop in the US, Fallbrook, CA. An advrider.com member named Carl reached out to me a month ago offered us a place to stay and ship necessary parts. I accepted his offer but I'm sure Carl was second guessing it when the mountain of tires and parts arrived at his door.

[​IMG]

The road to Carl's house was curvy and fun but we took it slow, precious fresh California IPAs were aboard. Not a drop was harmed. We were greeted by the entire Hixon gang, Carl, his wife BJ, their two dogs Duke and Remmy, and their feline companions Ranger and Abby. They immediately got us settled into their beautiful home and treated us to excellent carne asada tacos. Two friends, Matt and Zoma, joined and we all had a great night of stories and jokes. I sort of felt like a real adult for a little bit. Ultimately BJ's chocolate chip cookies stole the show, or was it the chocolate chip pancakes in the morning?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sunday was not a day of rest for us. We left Philly on old chains, sprockets, and tires so these all had to be replaced. Now this would normally be a lot of work but it was made even more tedious when we realized Matt's counter sprocket was torqued to infinity and held a healthy dose of red Loctite. Ultimately a combination of Tim's "MacGuyver-ness" and Matt's ogre strength broke it free while I changed the tires. 7:30 rolled around and we were treated to another fantastic home-cooked meal. Just a bit more preparation is needed before we cross the boarder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After another week of of wind blistered faces, and everchanging surroundings, I am truely humbled by the vast generousity, kindness and selflessness we have encountered by the amazing people we have met on this trip. We are only two weeks in and my faith in humanity is slowly being restored. While I am excited to see what beautiful terrain lies ahead, I am realizing that it is in the hearts and smiles of those who we meet along the way which will leave the mostly lasting mark on our collective memory.

[​IMG]
    The_Scottsman, Rizzly and SmilinJoe like this.
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Inquiring Minds want to know: Do you guys just like tinkering with your Wee Stroms or are they (the bikes) not up to the task?
  18. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair question. I'll answer the second question first. They are dead nuts reliable. We left on bald tires and dead chains/sprockets that would get us across the country. In San Diego we installed new tires, new chains, and new sprockets. Also we like to tinker with our bikes. Hence why everything has been changed on my bike to better suit my riding style. But in summation, I can't think of a better bike for long distance travel than the strom.
    rpiereck likes this.
  19. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    It was fantastic having these guys visit for a while. Three fine people that I could not have been happier to meet and get to know for a few days. They are welcome here any time. This was the first time we hosted any adventure riders and thanks to Matt, Pat & Tim, we will welcome others if the need / opportunity arises.

I expected this adventure to be well into Mexico before I arrived home from work today but, as adventures go...they were delayed and I got to see them off this evening. I was very tempted to hop on my bike and ride with them to their next stop. But I didn't want to worry them that they weren't going to be able to shake the old guy...

Here they are continuing on their journey...
    [​IMG]

20. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We truly felt like we were at home. We're very thankful we had the chance to meet Carl and his family. Couldn't have asked for a better last stop in the US before crossing the boarder.

Thanks for everything Carl!