1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Three H-D DEALERS GONE

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bobbyh, Sep 1, 2020.

1. bobbyh

bobbyh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On top of the Hawkesbury dealership closing we now have word that Policaro and Longley in Peterborough are closing. This is turning out to be bigger than we thought.
  2. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surprise surprise right?
  3. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned last week that Browns Harley Davidson in Mississauga was sold to Dilawri Auto Group Canada's largest auto dealer with I believe 79 auto dealers. I also learned that Ramsays HD in Sydney NS is closing. They would be closest to Cabot Trail.

I am not sure what is going on but I feel for all the employees trying to make a living in a very tough business.
    Night_Wolf, Maggot12 and B10Dave like this.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I drove through Lethbridge, AB there was a sign saying they were closing in Oct.
  5. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not anti Harley but....a Harley sportie was my first bike. It was so poorly designed that I considered it a death trap and the fact that the bike was marketed to women was an offense to mankind. It was and is a terrible bike for a woman. Ever try pushing one? First thing I did was put a steering dampener on it and fork brace. Suspension was a joke. Positioning was a joke. I rode the thing across country and half way cross, I had an issue with the mapping sensor except I didnt know nor did any dealer know until Missouri. Mechanic had seen 4 mapping sensor defects from the factory! WTF? I just never could get down with the leather crowd. And why is everything $79.99 in store. They are highway bikes. That's all and why not get a gold wing if you're doing highways. Old Harley, vintage, antiques. Beautiful and beautiful history. Anyone in Newburgh NY..check out the moto museum. Wonderful. There is some history but the bikes now.... Let that company sink. I dont really give a shit what you ride as long as you ride. On second thought...maybe I AM anti Harley. Lol. Company got greedy. I read what the CEO wrote about the direction of Harley. What a crock of corporate garbage speak that was. Great history though. Shame they messed it.
    Night_Wolf, Maggot12 and shuswap1 like this.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't ride at all if that was all that was available. The Harley crowd doesn't ride for the same reasons I ride, not even close, given their proclivities. I tripped into a Harley dealership a few years back and damn near gagged at the crap they thought went along with riding motobikes!
    As for their business acumen, I watched as they forced a long-time family-owned HD/Suzuki dealership out of business a few years back, a family extremely well-entrenched in local motorcycling, of all sorts. Very shady bus practices were employed, I don't forget stuff like that. If HD fails no doubt the aftermarket will keep those clunks running forever....or at least until the old fart/wannabee crowd disperses.
    Jeez, I sound mean!
  7. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    I think H-D opened a lot of dealerships during the boom days and the market isn't big enough to support them all now.
  8. CDMAN

CDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel for the family owned stores that are closing as they have had to follow the corporate rules to maintain the dealerships. This has meant a lot of investment which may not have had any return. The larger business owned stores well that is the risk of business. In most cases the larger business owned stores should not have been opened as the market was never strong enough.
    bobbyh likes this.
  9. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the case I am aware of HD demanded a major investment, multi-millions into new facilities from a near-30 year dealer. The fam said that wasn't doable and so HD handed their dealership to a larger dealer....who opened a (leased) lavish new facility less than 10 miles from their existing facility. Within a few months they closed the new facility, effectively putting the fam business, run by well-respected folks, out of the game and killing off a significant competitor....especially when it came to service work. HD oversaw this but I think they didn't realize they were being outsmarted by the larger dealership and, as has been predicted by those who observe dirty tactics, eventually got what they deserved.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. middleage crazy

middleage crazy When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Oddometer:
  11. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you needed to do was ride a Harley after having ridden some modern Japanese or European bikes, to know that Harley was in serious trouble.

Harleys are just plain lousy motorcycles. I mean they are dangerous to ride and the competition is so much better it may as well be technology from some advanced alien race.

And Harley has failed to take the action necessary to compete in the market with all the other bikes available.

The situation reminds me of how General Motors ignored Japanese cars for so long, until the Japanese ate their lunch and dinner and breakfast. Harley is right now where GM was in the 1970s, with a product line that only a hard-core loyalist would choose to buy.

It's hard for me to have sympathy for the people who sold Harleys, because they should have known this day was coming and if they didn't know it they are just plain incompetent with respect to their knowledge of the motorcycle market.
  12. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Actually you sound like an even-tempered realist.

Harley made their own bed, and now they get to lie in it.
    Night_Wolf and shuswap1 like this.
  13. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    One word....Southpark.
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Between the customer base aging out and the economic realities of a pandemic along with boutique costs driving up the local dealer overhead what else could be expected? I have nothing against the brand but the owners believing it is the only "real" motorcycle is laughable.
    Night_Wolf and R100PDave like this.
  15. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode hundreds of thousands of miles on various Harleys. Coast to Coast in Canada and most of the US. Do they handle like a European bike....no, but I never had an issue pushing the bike to my limits. To say they are dangerous is an unqualified statement
  16. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Just be sure you R & R the brake fluid, onna regular basis. In Harley's infinite wisdom, they designed the whole braking system to NOT WORK AT ALL, if the ABS unit decided to freeze up. One would think that the brakes would just go into "non-abs" mode if the module did something stupid. NOPE, ZERO BRAKES!

And don't get me started on their 'triple C" components on the newer bikes...
  17. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:

This definately qualifies as funny.
    Ronzo69, 16VGTIDave and vince82 like this.
  18. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    This is much simpler than all Harley's baggage makes it look. There was a boardroom coup earlier this year in which a hedge fund took control of the company. Hedge funds are about milking value, not creating it. That's why so many new product initiatives were cancelled, and very likely why so many dealers are being taken out. Typically in a situation like this, the company wants to see how little it can get away with doing and still sell product. It's become a lightning rod for the strong feelings people have about the Harley brand, but it's really just good ol' toxic capitalism.

Love Harley or hate it, it's hard to watch. Sorry for the folks who have lost dealerships.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  19. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a long run, Harley Davidson of the Kootenays will close it's doors for good next month
  20. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am really sorry to hear that. I have stopped a couple of times when travelling out west on my Road Glide. First time was a stop for a visit . At that time on a Saturday afternoon they were doing a belt replacement for an American woman riding a Street Glide and did not leave at closing time but worked well past closing time to finish the job rather than strand her till Monday . I was to say the least impressed at that level of service. I bought a t shirt that I did not need but felt was a good idea at the time . Two years later I booked a major service on my vacation that was due . The job was done first thing in the morning and bike was washed as I had three days of heavy rain on the way out. That shop deserves to be recognized as a good dealer. I think I will call in the morning and buy a couple of shirts because they were an outstanding dealer.

Thank you for being good guys in the business.