Three Months on a Husky TE610

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fishfund, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In all honesty, sometimes it's exciting to break down because you have no idea what is going to happen next, and yes. It ALWAYS will work out eventually. (Example: chain)

But sometimes, breaking down too many times is annoying. (example: FI glitches)

You have to find that middle breaking down point.
  2. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has KTM ever got back to you about your bike?
  3. Fishfund

Oddometer:

Nope, They never got back to me. For a minute there I was thinking I might get lucky.
  4. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not saying it's the same issue, but they are having huge issues with the new Husabergs and their fuel pumps, etc.

I understand issues make things interesting, but at the end of the day, a carbed bike isn't that bad =)

I'm still torn about FI. I think I'm on the bandwagon thinking it's not the be-all, end all. IMO, I ride in way to remote locations to have been left stranded with something I can't fix.
  5. Fishfund

Oddometer:

I think FI has tons of potential and advantages and can be awesome, but right now. I don't see it. F.I. should give you a substantial increase in fuel economy, and also be reliable. With my 690, I didn't see either.
  6. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Curious what your mileage was on the 690?

What do you think of the new Husky 630's. Aren't they FI too?

I get around 34-36MPG on my XRR. I hope to increase that a bit with finer tuning of the new carb.
  7. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    If you finish the report great, if you don't thanks for what you have done. I responsiblilities now that I made comitments to and need to fulfil my obligations for 10 more years.

And then its ON! Right now my adventures are limited because of these but you take me to the places I always wnated to go. Keep it up and you are livin right!
  8. Fishfund

Oddometer:

From what I understand the XRR gets the about the worse fuel economy out of all the 650 singles. The only other one that's close is the Husaberg 570 (which looks like an awesome bike)

Like any bike the mileage varies considering. I would say the average MPG was 45. I can get 55-60 if I drive it at 60 mph on flat terrain for the entire tank. I'll get 35 mpg if I drive it at 80 mph for a whole tank. If I'm doing gravel roads/2-tracks I can get about 50.

As far as the Husky 630's go, I would not buy one. They are being discontinued and I suspect BMW has some plans to replace it. They are due for a new 650 single, and I am really excited to see what they come up with. BMW has both FI AND fuel economy figured out. If they can keep it light, I can fix all the other mistakes they will make on it. :evil
  9. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I won't argue with that... I'm talking 34-36MPG at 85-95KM/hr let along 100-115+! I imagine I'd be bumping down to 30 or less. Im running 15/47 gearing. IMO, Honda's gearing is wrong and gearing it higher makes first rediculously long.

BMW and singles?? They don't have a good record in my boots. The Xchallenge had potential, but they managed to screw it up then discontinue it. The 450 was short lived as well. There is no reason they can't make a decent one. There is no reason anybody can't, but for some reason it's that market that nobody seems to make headway.

The 690 looked promising, but didn't hit the home run everybody was hoping for. The delay of the ADV model made it that much worse. That being said your mileage is appealing! I don't really care for a cost perspective, sure it's nice, but in my opinion, the huge benenfit is a smaller, lighter tank that goes as far or further! That's the gem in the deal. The money saved is the icing on the cake.

Here's to hoping something, someday, appeals to all our desires.
  10. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add the Husky 630 to that list as well. People wait to see if a new model is 'good' and when they decide it 'is' BMW has already killed it.

dumbdedumb, dumb dumb.
  11. Bleary

Bleary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Luke, just want to tell you this was really a great trip report. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Couple of questions...

Did you get your brake rotor?

Did you ever hear from the church that you gave the money to?
  12. Fishfund

Oddometer:

I never got the rotor. It's lost and gone forever. DHL did not work, and the guy from the Church, I never heard from him again. I'm pretty sure it was a scam, looking back at it now.
  13. smjon

smjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4 evenings to read and what a time it was. This is just a thanks to you Luke.
  14. Fishfund

Oddometer:

Thanks Smjon, I am happy that you enjoyed it. I love positive feedback and raking the time to comment
  15. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

excellent form on the head turn by Nick...

anyway...great report, even though you didnt ever finish it
  16. erockmapquest

erockmapquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to see the end, but it sounds like you got home just fine.
  17. Fishfund

Oddometer:

I made it home just fine. I wish I would have finished this report, but just lost steam. However, I proved that I can finish a ride report on my last trip. 5- months on a KTM 690 with my friend Nick.:D

Here is the link to that.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653492
  18. jameswwright

jameswwright Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Luke,

It's lostcause from bmxboard(Jim Wright). I followed this trip(and the Africa/Europe one) on your blog(I think I set the blog up for this one actually haha) and on bmxboard, but still read through it again on here, awesome stuff. I finally got a motorcycle and am stoked to do some kind of trip next year. Your ride reports have been a big inspiration for me wanting to go that route. Also it was awesome to meet you, Andy and Jesse when I was on my 4 month road trip through the states in 2009.

Keep it up and let's see a TaoTao ride report!

Cheers,
    Jim
  19. erockmapquest

erockmapquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good sir. I will check it out! :1drink
  20. Fishfund

Oddometer:

You most definitely did setup that blog for me, and also hosted it as well. Thanks again. Meeting up with you was fun in Detroit. I loved your van setup. Us bmx guys need to stick together and help each other out. Thanks again.

TaoTao report? I've thought of that. I want to take a scooter down to Central America for my next trip. I'm addicted to scooters, I have three now. Come up to Lansing, and lets go for a ride.