Three old guys to Alaska - goldwings and a 300 versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fuzzy74, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it is not the bike, but the rider.

What fits comfortably or that can be made comfortable, should be the choice
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be flexible in your trip plans. I just returned home from my 4th ride on the Alcan this summer but it was not the ending I planned for. The Alaska ferrys are on strike so I had to fly from Skagway to my home in Juneau on a Cessna 208, but my bike is on a barge and will arrive here next Wednesday.
    Rapturee2, nuke65 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  3. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Final Chapter
    First one clarification. I got a passport card at extra cost with my new passport. Fits in wallet. Used for cruise too. It worked fine at all border crossings. What Nuke has is something different.

When I got home from 6 weeks on the road one of the first things my wife stated was that she wanted to go to Alaska. She was awesome in letting me make my trip so how could I say no, So 13 days later we were on a plane to Seattle for a 2 week cruise. Saw a different part of Alaska and had another good time. No rain in any port which amazed me.
    4036AF6D-034B-4FCC-AEC6-EB4DF7B15DD3.jpeg

Ketchikan
    DF890911-A7E0-49EB-9716-428BB8A0F3F7.jpeg

Different wildlife. Sea otter taking a nap in harbor
    3C7C5062-BCA6-4555-B9BD-EFEB93321510.jpeg

More salmon than I could count and me without a pole in Sitka
    C7E54333-C657-4CF1-B9B1-D633FF3B34F1.jpeg

Eagle at rescue facility in Sitka
    D3F5DF54-EFE4-4B43-BF45-3903415D2E56.jpeg

So long till next time
    30B9F838-C9EB-4419-A1BC-C80488CE7A33.jpeg

PS
    One final note. In Marion,VA last week scouting roads for an upcoming gathering. Had salmon twice at two different restaurants. Both were wild caught and cooked right. Didn’t expect to get better salmon in Virginia mountains than in Alaska. Draw your own conclusions.

Thinking about Newfoundland next year. Wife already checking into cruises. :beer
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you got to see a bit of my world in SE Alaska
  5. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Ride often, Pray Hard. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in Skagway 79/80 and up in Fairbanks in 80/81. Both very different and still so ALASKA! :{)
  6. Lowrider49

Lowrider49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys did a geeat job at recording and photo coverage of the trip and is greatly appreciated!! I've done the trip 6 or 8 times in a F 250 and Cessna's and one trip in a DHC-3. We lived in Homer and I flew for Cook Inlet Aviation so I've seen most of things in AK but...BUT...I've never done it on a bike. I'm waiting for a new 2021 NC750DCT due any day and would most likely take that if I make the bike trip. This summer is full of trips out West but next Summer is open and think I can talk the copilot into me riding up and her flying into Anchorage and cruise back together. We'll see how things go with opening the Canadian border and other political stuff so time to plan.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to document your trips!!!
    Fuzzy74 likes this.
  7. nuke65

nuke65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We’re going to try to go to Newfoundland in a couple months.

Good luck in making the trip. BTW, my dad was born in Sandpoint, ID over 98 years ago. One day, I’ll get there.
    Ranger Jim likes this.