Three old guys to Alaska - goldwings and a 300 versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fuzzy74, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My tent is black and green to left and Nuke’s is orange to right. If he hears a bear tonight it’s not me. Then again we may be in separate campgrounds tomorrow night.

F9FBE7B3-205C-4184-A080-AB017F1E7CA3.jpeg
  2. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 10
    This morning I woke up in a warm comfortable bed at a friend's house in Columbia Falls while Nuke and 670 were in tents further south. I followed friend to work where he pulled an electrician off wiring a piece of equipment and gave him my pigtails to splice together. I was then off to Kalispell to get tires. schedules worked out for us al to arrive for lunch in Columbia Falls within minutes of each other. After a great lunch said goodbye tg my friend and we headed off to destinations in the far north. Canadian customs was a non event. Showed passport, told him where we were going and how long we expected to stay and that we had no weapons. Didn't get off bikes or even remove helmets. We then proceeded north to a wonderful campground above Radium Hot Springs.

Nothing specific but pictures show it is not a destination it is the journey.

D 10-2.JPG
    D 10 - 6.JPG
    D 10-3.JPG

D.10 - 7.JPG D 10-4.JPG
    D 10-5.JPG
    PS I do have a Facebook page. I think Nuke's waiting to see how trip turns out before he friends me.
    Shaggie, wilsonjw42, wilfred and 6 others like this.
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    wonderful, keep it coming
  4. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    227C0436-8290-4173-B0E6-2526B0EEEE79.jpeg Good thing I have fresh knobby tires on.
    Shaggie, wilsonjw42, wilfred and 6 others like this.
  5. Olythom

Olythom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Stuff. I'm subscribed....
    >T
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  6. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we passed each other yesterday, you where riding down from Moraine Lake. I was on a little red Honda.

Have a great trip, maybe we'll meet again further north!
  7. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report so far. I'm quite interested in the Versys x-300 and how comfortable it is for this long haul.
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good looking trip thus far. Wife and I will also be at D2D, we go most years, and will be in cabin 110 at the Triple J. Feel free to stop by and say hello or if you need anything while in the north country. We're in Fairbanks and I have shop and tools if the need arises.
    david
    wilsonjw42 and X-wing fighter like this.
  9. dualsportrider2

dualsportrider2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap I will be retired in 4 years and am planning a long trip like this as well (God willing). Thanks for sharing.
  10. Ranger Jim

Ranger Jim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of seat do you have on that Versys. It can't be the stock OEM.
  11. harun

harun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NICE...
  12. bob1956

bob1956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip. I recently traded in my Super Tenere for a new Versys X300, and have not ever regretted my decision. After putting on just over 2K break in miles in 7 weeks, I recently ventured out on the Interstate. It was a day with gusting crosswinds, and despite getting buffeted a bit, I maintained 70+ in 6th with no sweat. By now, I'm used to revving the happy little motor to 10 grand before shifting, and I still consistently average over 66MPG. I've taken it on the same technical terrain I ride on my KTM 520EXC, on the OEM rubber, and it did OK. Bob B
  13. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corbin. Does great for me.
    Rapturee2 and toypro1 like this.
  14. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving the restraint from lunch in Columbia Falls, MT we met this guy and his wife. She had told him he was no longer allowed to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle so he was just back from a fly and ride to Alaska to get this Goldwing trike, 1996 model. fly and ride.jpg
  15. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 11 Radium Hot springs to Jasper

Camp ground in Radium had very strict rules on lighting up a joint.
    no caniba.jpg

HWY 93 from border to Jasper is great ride. Highly recommend for those3 heading north from Montana area to Alaska. When 93 conne3ctys with hwy 1, go a little past and take Bow River parkway to Lake Louise or if you have time to Banff.
    Some pics of ride to Lake Louise. D11-9.JPG

d11-2.JPG
    d11-3.JPG
    D11-5.JPG
    D11-6.JPG
    D11-8.JPG
    D11-9.JPG

Attached Files:

Shaggie, TonyKZ1, Rapturee2 and 4 others like this.
  16. Moosietoo

Moosietoo MooseMan

Oddometer:
    I'm in… Thanks for sharing... :lurk
  17. nuke65

nuke65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A2A - Part 6 Oh Canada!

We started an early day, breaking camp at 5:30 am. Fuzzy was off the day before to Kalispell, MT so he could meet a man about tires. With nothing on the travel agenda, Greg and I set out to find Glacier National Park. We had an enjoyable two hour ride up the eastern side of Flathead lake.

When we arrived, we mistook the Alberta Visitor Center for the National Park Visitor Center. Easy to do, especially since reading signs on a motorcycle is not prudent if you care about what may suddenly cross into your path. We made it to Glacier National Park where my senior lifetime pass saved more money. Then we heard that the main road through the park was closed. We would be allowed to ride 14 miles into the park, then would have to turn around. That was from the western entrance. What about from the eastern entrance? That would only get us 10 miles into the park, and it would take us two hours to get there. Undaunted, we entered into the park seeing glimpses of beauty through the trees that blocked most of the view. About 11 miles in, traffic came to a stop. Construction only allowed for a one lane road. So we waited. And waited. All engines turned off. Finally, the pace car came and led us through the one lane road. To the barriers that told us to turn around. So turn around we did. Then we waited. And waited. Had lovely conversations with people in nearby cars. Traded stories. Then the pace car came and we repeated the trip back.

We left Glacier National Park, had a great lunch in Columbia Falls, and then headed for Canada!

We reached the border just north of Eureka, MT. I had heard that the Canadian border was tougher to cross than going the other direction. So I readied myself and rode up to the border station.

Me: Good afternoon.

Border Agent: Identification please.

Border Agent: Where are you coming from?

Me: Georgia.

Border Agent: Where are you going?

Me: Alaska, with some touring in Canada.

Border Agent: Do you have any weapons?

Me: No. Except bear spray.

Border Agent: How long do you intend to be in Canada?

Me: Three to four weeks.

Border Agent: What did you do for a living before coming to Canada?

Me: Hesitation. My first thought was “Worked to save the US from nuclear disaster.” Then an odd thing happened. I had a second thought. Normally, my mouth would just bypass all thought. My second thought was that such an answer would probably not be a fruitful discussion with a border agent. So I answered: “I was a nuclear engineer”.

Border Agent: Hesitation. “Good enough for me. Go on through.”

I realized that if he thought I was lying about my profession, then I probably lied about all the questions and there was no hope. If I was telling the truth, there was probably still no hope, but it was out of his hands.

We camped that night in Radium Hot Springs.

The next day, we rode to Jasper via 93 through the national parks. Okay, I know I said that it wasn’t all about the scenery, but this was about the scenery. We had gorgeous weather and each minute I was gawking at what was before me. Clear blue skies over snow capped mountains as we rode through the valleys. Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, and the rest of the parks capped the trip so far. If I had to turn around now, those parks were worth it.

As the day wore on, our trip to Jasper was met with rain and wind where we opted for a hotel instead of pitching tents. We had errands to accomplish then next day, so it was a late start. Leaving Jasper, the road suddenly became, should we say, in need of repair. Do you know those small towns where the manhole covers are located in the lane so your tire has to run over them? That is almost what the road was like. Except that there was the equivalent of two manhole covers. In a car, it would have been nerve wracking, but on a motorcycle it became a dance. Until the big dip. I was riding along with Fuzzy in the lead when I heard over the intercom “BIG BUMP”. Except it wasn’t a bump. It was a dip. That I hit at 60 mph. Fortunately, I had enough time to lift my butt off the seat. My suspension lost all load and I was soon sailing skyward with visions of doing spins like Shawn White on a snowboard as he sailed off ramps in the olympics. I don’t think I actually went airborne, but it was an adrenaline rush to say the least.

We are now north of Grande Prairie, camping for the night. Sunset is at 10:38 pm. Sunrise at 5:16 am.

B47121E8-2FB7-49E5-BD0A-1B9D4C50C9C5.jpeg 09D300D8-7842-4F3B-B805-FD345B8766BF.jpeg 7EEAF923-0403-4D11-AEDC-3C42ECE4C22C.jpeg Fuzzy likes the road less traveled.

070B5007-CBE8-4B4A-9830-45AAAC883171.jpeg
    yamahamxr, Shaggie, wilfred and 8 others like this.
  18. Auztone

Auztone n00b

Oddometer:
    Absolutely great pictures of the scenery! An amazing ride and one on my bucket list.
  19. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great work McGuyvering a fix to the heated jacket. I did D2D, TUK and Haul Road in Alaska last year from Georgia, and the snowmobile gloves I bought in Canada saved my hands. Snowmobile gear has to be warm and waterproof. Best $50 I have ever spent. The good stuff is still ahead for you guys! Enjoy.

See the gloves I purchased from a snowmobile dealer in Whitecourt Alberta.

252BCED3-28F3-4A62-88FB-B1B8F90242BC.jpeg
    Solo Gato, Moosietoo, wilfred and 4 others like this.
  20. AdvLTC

AdvLTC n00b

Oddometer: