Three old guys to Alaska - goldwings and a 300 versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fuzzy74, Jun 4, 2019.

1. nuke65

nuke65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A2A - This is My Father’s World

I woke up to the sound of a light rain hitting the top of my tent. It’s an unmistakeable sound that gives you comfort knowing that you are dry when it is wet outside. Yet it also alerts you to the fact that you will be packing up your things in the wet. Nevertheless, we anticipated the rain and looked forward to the full day ahead of us.

The first task, after morning tea and packing in the wet, was to head to a nearby Yamaha dealer to see if Fuzzy could buy a spare chain. No need to get stranded again. Turns out they did, and though it took longer than planned they cut the chain and Fuzzy installed it on his bike. He also got several connecting links that actually fit this chain. That took the morning so we had a quick lunch and then took off for Alaska! Haines, AK, specifically.

Though the start of the ride was cloud covered and gave all appearances of a gloomy ride, you could see the underlying beauty of the mountains and rivers. The roads were decent and we had a successful short gas stop in Haines Junction before taking on the longest part of the trip. Remember, this is country where the stops and bathrooms are far and few. So we typically take every opportunity to ensure we can get to the next stop comfortably.

Another hour or so, and the blue sky pushed its way past the low overhanging clouds. It soon became one stunning view after another. Greg said that just when you thought you had seen the most beautiful view, the next curve proved you wrong.

I have always maintained that as evil in the world gives a glimpse of hell, the beauty of the world gives a glimpse of heaven. When you have a “wow” moment, imagine how much more heaven is.

I was reminded of a hymn (originally a poem) that best describes the day.

This is my Father's world,
    And to my listening ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings
    The music of the spheres.

This is my Father's world:
    I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
    His hand the wonders wrought.

Most people don’t consciously grasp that they love one of God’s characteristics. He loves to create. What an imagination to not only carve glorious beauty out of rock, but to give us peacocks, and porcupines, and lions, and tigers, and bears; Oh My!

We love people who demonstrate this characteristic even if they are not the type of person we would want to emulate. Artists, singers, architects, carpenters; people who are creative and create. They are all reflective of God’s love for creation. In all the tripe in the world, take time today to look at the glimpses of heaven around you.

We arrived in Haines, AK! The first of five crosses between Canada and Alaska we have planned. Enjoy the photos.

E8A5025D-65D9-4E9C-9F44-0C82554A2BED.jpeg 4C13048C-93BE-4ABB-BBDB-9221B4067B66.jpeg CE71172C-B120-4791-A2F7-62D8459F0244.jpeg 015E6400-EB41-4E36-9C82-2B264541BDA5.jpeg 4BBCFA6B-202E-4D26-91A3-82ACA5E3E471.jpeg FAC5A7CE-2973-490A-999A-C4199EDC5B13.jpeg 85CF777B-2B4A-4730-8DE0-D9097AF496F7.jpeg E7C5E617-F2CB-4686-84E1-BFEE31C2C749.jpeg 7B03A931-0F93-4CFF-BDF7-7FBBA2137AB7.png

2. halejl

halejl Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the stories and photos! Please keep it up.

Two of us will be heading up there next week from California on 1960’s BMWs. We will be going up the Cassiar Hwy to the Arctic Circle, so we may see you on your way back.

Have you had any problems finding room at campgrounds and motels? Are you making reservations ahead or just winging it?
    wilsonjw42 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  3. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nuke, what windshield is on that Wing?
  4. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along on your ride. Subscribed and loving it. Kiwi.
  5. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sort of winging it. We have gotten what we wanted by calling the day before or morning of. Things will likely fill up if you wait till late in day.
    Rapturee2 and DavidM1 like this.
  6. nuke65

nuke65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A madstat. I rode with a F4+4 for years but the windshield blocked too much wind and if it wasn’t very clean rain would stick to it. So I switched to the Madstat and I am much happier. I can see over the windshield so I am not slowed up by rain. Took a few rides to get the height and angle adjusted to minimize buffeting.
    jspringator and Rapturee2 like this.
  7. bob1956

bob1956 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had a CL175 too! It was my first "dirt" bike. I loved the high revving twin way back then. I switched from a Super Tenere to the Versys-X for several reasons. First and foremost are the weight and seat height. I am 5'9" on a good day and could only touch the ground with toes on one side, even with riding boots on. I dropped it twice stopping on uphill off cambers. I was lucky there was help nearby to pick it up. IMO, the weight is carried high in the frame, making matters worse for me. I have a heavy throttle hand, and at 63, my reaction times are not on par with the bikes capabilities. The Traction Control saved my ass on several occasions, as did the Anti-Lock brakes. As a side note: I consider A-L brakes a liability off road, especially on slippery downhills, turning your descent into a semi free fall.

Next is the big one: I have the early symptoms of Parkinson's, and my X-300 allows me to keep on riding confidently and not feel like a liability to myself or others. When I ride, my tremor is virtually non existent, as my mind and body become focused on the task at hand. This past Sunday, I rode 150+ miles on back roads in the pouring rain, at a spirited pace. The bike handled it all with ease, including muddy dirt roads. If I kept the revs up on the wet dirt, I could even invoke some rear wheel steering!

The unexpected bonus factors: Both feet on the ground at stops, 20+ higher MPG, lower registration and insurance fees, and wear items like tires and brakes last noticeably longer. And I can push it backwards out of a downhill parking spot by myself! My apologies for the longish response. Bob
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, Haines gets some tour ships, not as many as Skagway or Juneau. I guess that's a blessing.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  9. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The weather should dry up the next few days
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  10. Davidc83

Davidc83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok Nuke, what kind of camera you using which can record video off the bike..I see no selfie stick and I didnt see any attachments to the bike when it was recording the spin around of the bike..how the heck????
    wilsonjw42, rjnutt, Rapturee2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    D83, that was my thought as well... haha, how'd he do that!!?? :{P
  12. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been to Alaska six times by m'cycle (THREE were to D2D - '13, '15 and '16), ALWAYS camping, and I've ONLY had problems getting a campsite during D2D in Dawson City, at a downtown campground!
    So, IMHO just "wing it"!!!
  13. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have camped about half of time. Most have had showers. If not get one next day.
    AllSeasonRider and Rapturee2 like this.
  15. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember to wear an extra over jacket with elastic cuffs OVER the gauntlet portion of the gloves. That way rain won't run down your sleeve into the gloves!. Some people forget this. But I use the same gloves you do. Work great!
    wilfred and Rapturee2 like this.
  16. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hwy 12 west FROM lolo pass into Idaho, for about 150 miles, is an awesome stretch of motorcycle nirvana.
    MikeyT, Rapturee2 and i4bikes like this.
  17. ZhangXiaoLiang

ZhangXiaoLiang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuzzy,

Good to see you and Greg "out there". I made the trip to D2D in 2012 - the year that I retired. I'd love to do it again. Did both Inuvik and Deadhorse as well.

Does the Air Force Lodge still require you to remove your shoes inside? Made multiple trips to the bike into a PITA.

Lee
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  19. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    INDEED it is! :{)
    rtcoker likes this.
  20. ZhangXiaoLiang

ZhangXiaoLiang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a motorcycle tour to China when you have time.

Attached Files:

wilfred likes this.