Three Weeks in Baja on a WR250R

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Keithag65, Feb 19, 2019.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Keithag65,

Do you remember what you aired your WR250R tires down to for off-road and sand?

What tires did you use on WR250R for trip?

Any special technique for riding sand on WR250R?

Thanks.

GF-kam
  2. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All of us that have rode Baja share one thing. We love Baja and it’s people. I shall return for this years Baja 1000.
  3. Keithag65

Keithag65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I aired the tires to 19 lbs. Ran a Dunlop D606 in front and Kenda K270 rear. Rear isn't all that important, but you want a good front tire.
    I put slime in both tires with heavy duty tubes.
    Faster is better in sand. More power would be nice in deep sand, but then you'd want a 350 on up for that. For most riding the the 250 is great.
    Be sure to gear it down to at least a 13 tooth front (stock), and 48 tooth rear. It will make all the difference in the world.
    Go light if you can. Don't load up the rear with luggage and expect to have fun. Sand will be especially miserable.
    If you go into the salt water on the beach, you will get corrosion on engine and spokes. Most guys don't mind, but some do.
    You might want to put Gorilla tape behind the front tire on the frame to protect against rock chips. I wish I would have done that.
    GF-kam likes this.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for recommendations.