Three Yinzers go west......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rastawheel, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. rastawheel

rastawheel Pittsburgh, PA

Oddometer:
    Steel City. Single track and No-trail heaven.
    Sunrise over the Great Basin outside of Baker, NV. We slept in a pavilion and picnic area for and archaeological dig. We were not the only people doing this. A car pulled in around 11 pm and took over the other pavilion.
    NCM_0179.JPG
  3. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    msr elevation.jpg Two brewery stops, one in Saldia the first night at Elevation. The second was in Moab. Both had some tasty brews. Luckily I had my extra MSR fuel bottles, so we were able to take some fresh draft beer back to camp for the evening. We were camped in a friends back yard on the Arkansas River. We tried to cross the river and sit in the warm spring, but our attempt failed. I believe trailerrails got a video of Kyle and I attempting to cross. There are pics some where of the MSR bottle filling at Elevation and video of the river crossing.

Attached Files:

MotoMigrant likes this.
  4. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    This guy was walking under Jakes camp chair the night we were outside of Emery, UT, I think. Glad I sleep in a hammock.
    NCM_0177.JPG
  5. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    NCM_0193.JPG
  6. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland, Portland!
    MotoMigrant likes this.
  7. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Pulling out of Denver.
    the start.jpg
  8. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics of some of the damage. 950 front rim dented, DR subframe cracked, and hole in XR piston. Not pictured, XR front blown wheel bearing, XR flat spotted rim.

Attached Files:

9. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Eureka, NV. Another pavilion camp. We pulled into town and fueled up. Then decided to get some dinner from the grocery store. As I walk in the lady at the register tells me that we can camp in the town park which is right behind the store. She says it has a bathroom with running hot water, picnic tables and grills. We are like hell yea. So we go check out the park and decide this is perfect. Another pavilion and no need to set up tents. While unloading the gear I notice my front end is really loose. After further inspection, it seems my front wheel bearing is toast. We then head back to the grocery store to grab some meat to grill, but when we get there it is closed. I say to Kyle I am sure she said they close at 9. It was only 8. So, we walk down the street to find a place to eat. We end up at a bar. As we are sitting there a guy pulls up on an XR400. We talk with him to find out about getting bike parts and he tells us our best bet is the dealer in Ely, which is about 80 miles the opposite way we were headed. The bar tender then tells us there is a parts store and repair shop in town, but is not open on Sunday. She gives us his number and says to call him in the morning and he may be able to help us out. I try him in the morning and after a few back and forth calls no luck on the wheel bearing. Looks like I would have to ride it out to Battle Mtn. There is a Napa dealer there and they have the bearing I need. So, we decide to split up, I will be taking the road to Battle Mtn and the three others will continue on the main route.

Attached Files:

black top bob likes this.
  10. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Made it to Napa auto in Battle Rock. I went in and they had my wheel bearing. I had come out of the store and a guy was checking out the BRP. We started talking and he was asking what I was up to, so I started to tell him about the TAT and the ride I was on with a couple of guys and that I needed to replace my blown wheel bearing. That is when he said him and his brother lived right behind the store and they would help me change out my bearing. I was like thanks a lot. i don't think I would have been able to get out the race with the tools I had on me. With their help I was back on the road just in time to meet up with the other guys. We had some lunch and then we were off headed north out of Battle Rock.
  11. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    After replacing the front wheel bearing, I meet up with the rest of the group and we got some lunch. We then headed north out of Battle Mtn. After about 20 miles, the BRP stopped dead in its tracks. I come to a stop and try to start it and it fires right back up. So I continue for about another 5 mins when it stops again. This time when I start it the motor spins free, no compression. Looks like my ride is over. We tried a few things and but still no go. Then a family stops on there way back to town from elk hunting. He offers to give me and my bike a ride back to town. So we load the bike in the back of the truck and he drops me at a hotel in town. We then roll the bike into the room and start ripping the head off to see what's up.
    DSCN4564.JPG

So, this ended my trip. The rest continue on while I rent a uhaul and drive back to Denver.
  12. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Here is camp along the Arkansas River south of Salida.
    DSCN4150.JPG

Attached Files:

black top bob likes this.
  13. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    The warm spring across from camp along the Arkansas River.
    DSCN4159.JPG
  14. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    First trail we rode from Denver to Salida.
    DSCN4137.JPG
  15. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics from the Rainbow Trail. Really fun with a fully loaded bike.
    DSCN4166.JPG DSCN4170.JPG DSCN4171.JPG DSCN4172.JPG DSCN4175.JPG
  16. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    Camp outside of Lake City. The next morning we attempted to ride the Apline Trail, Not the Alpine Loop. There is a major difference. We never could get to the trail since we had to cross a river and then ride thru 200 yards of swamp. My XR was buried in the mud. We decided to head back to Lake City and take road pass.

Attached Files:

17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Keep updating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. black top bob

black top bob gray goat

Oddometer:
    Good job you guys. I'm along for the ride. Western PA rocks.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I got all the video and pics downloaded today. I just need to get motivated to sit at the computer and sort through it.
  20. rastawheel

Oddometer:
    I still haven't had time to go thru my videos. But I have about 120 clips.