Thumper Helmets?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blues, Jun 8, 2005.

1. blues

blues Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is an equipment question but its so oriented to off road adventuring I though I'd try it here SVP. My Quantum is way too hot for off road so of course I'm looking for a new helmet. The DS helmets ( ie the XD ) seemed like the logical answer but I noticed all the Dakar riders wear MX style with goggles. Any of you desert racers care to comment? I also wear glasses.
    TIA
  2. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, goggles are better for offroad where you want the extra ventilation. The faceshield is better onroad because it's more comfortable and keeps bugs out of your helmet. I have an XD for dual sport riding and it's great for that, and I wear a traditional motocross helmet for dirt-only adventures. You can also wear glasses with the XD and the visor up or down depending on the riding conditions.

I've heard some people talk about removing the visor for riding at freeway speeds, but I think that's nonsense. The rally and desert racers wear visors and ride all day at 100+. And it's never been a problem for me with my XD at freeway speeds on a bike with a small fairing (640ADV) or no fairing (625SMC).
  3. Kingsqueak

Kingsqueak Wannabe

Oddometer:
    My RF900 almost cooked me riding trails in 80 and humid.

I can't wait for a plain old MX helmet, it was a pleasure wearing one out in the desert recently. I'll likely get more wear out of it than my Shoei for the summer season.

The only drawback I found was noise level, will definitely use earplugs religiously with the MX helmet setup.

I was up around 65mph on pavement with the dirt helmet and it drags more when I turned my head than my Shoei, but it was no big deal at all IMO.

Got a Kilimanjaro Air coming and the moto helmet is next, finally I can enjoy riding in temps over 75F. I hated the summer for riding.
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Try this from Simpson:

[​IMG]

Arai XD style at half the price. I like mine, not a bad hat...
  5. kdxkawboy

kdxkawboy Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer:
    I like my XD for DS type riding. While googles will work on the street, it sure is a lot nicer to have the DOT approved face shield. I haven't found the visor to be any problem on the road, it lets enough air vent from under the visro to combat buffeting. However it has it's down side in the rain as the channel the rain onto the visor. So I carry some duct tape to prep my helemt when I run into serious rain.

The Simpson provides an alternative. For fit, comfort and noise levels I've founf the XD to be worth the price compared to other helmets I've worn.
  6. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    That Simpson is a good lookin' lid. But I wonder how well that narrow visor works to block the sun? One potential improvement over the Arai is the smooth radius on the faceshield, the XD has a sharp bend in the center which causes some distortion when it's not all the way down and it gets real wierd if I'm wearing polarized glasses. It's nice to know there are some other options.
  7. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    DS'ing, XD, of course in my OO (own opinion).
  8. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that Simpson available in the US? (I did a google on Simpson helmets and couldn't find that one) If so, where? What is the model name/number?

SRG
  9. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    love my xd. it's the shiznit.
  10. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    I have the XD, and for combined street dirt riding I really like it, I use it for rides /tours where I'm going to be riding hundreds of miles of pavement, and then riding offroad where I need to wear goggles. That said be aware on some bikes the XD can be really noisey, and drive you made if the airflow off the fairing is "dirty air" the 950 ADV being one of the worst in this regard. This can be fixed, but it adds another item to the to do list of a new 950 owner.

I would prefer to be able to have a lower cost dedicated dirt helmet, and use my existing street helmet as conditions dictate, but when you need one helmet that will work, the XC is my choice. Pretty expensive for something that is going to get beaten up as well.

I would suggest Scott OTG (over the glasses) goggles, had good luck with mine.

I should have some good feedback to post in a week or two, as I will be wearing my XD with the peak removed when myself and a buddy blitz through France in the next few days. I really debated using the XD for this trip, as I have serious concerns it will drive me nuts if not deaf during the highspeed sections, but we will be riding some single track in expected hot weather up in the Pyrennes, and I couldn't imagine being anything but miserable wearing my street helmet for the latter. Still I may very much regret bringing the XD, I certainly would not have brought it if I was going to be riding a 950.
  11. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I purchased my Simpson GS3-MX directly from the factory, over the phone. They then add the visor to your order at their US facility in Texas and ship it direct.

CC
  13. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah Ha - The shield is an add on to their GS3 MX helmet. So, anyone can anyone suggest the best source to purchase Simpson stuff?

SRG
  14. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Do like I did, buy it direct from Simpson. They are inexpensive enough not to bother with alot of shopping around and the factory guys were a pleasure to deal with. Had it in hand in 10 days after the order was placed....
  15. wax808

wax808 Internet Artiste

Oddometer:
    Yeah the simpson looks cool. The only problem I see with it is the gap at the top of the shiled, that would suck in the rain.

I just got an XD. But I was seriously considering getting what I thought was the most bad-ass looking of the whole bunch. Tought to find here int eh states since it is a British product.

The Airoh Tyger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the XD or the Simpson reaily that much cooler than a regular full face? Seems like it has more room around the mouth but thats about it. I need to get a new helmet and the Simpson looks good but I do mostly road riding, not sure what I want. :huh They do look cool though :wink:
  17. mr7q

mr7q Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer:
    The chin bar on the XD seems to stick out further than traditional full face helmets, and there's a vent right on the front of it, so I'm inclined to believe it has more airflow. But that's just my ass talking, so...

I guess just go to a brick and mortar store, bring a friend and a hair drier, and see which one dries your face first...
  18. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    I recently got an MXC-Pro. The cool thing about this helmet is it's the only helmet made w/ a removable chinguard. I like to ride w/ an open face helmet once in while and the removeable guard make this possible. You do need to wear goggles, but I think this is much cooler when riding dirt than a full shield.
    Dino
  19. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Two things...

The Simpson is very well vented. So much so that it's definitely a 2 1/2 season hat.

The peripheral vision is superb, much better than with googles....

:deal

CC
  20. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    I have one of these Airoh Tyger helmets.
    [​IMG]

Not sure of DOT or snell approval, no sticker to indicate. Does have an A.C.U. approved sticker. The buckle is quick-release and doesn't look particularly sturdy. The wind noise is pretty bad compared to street only helmet. I think it is caused by buffeting along the back. Going to try to fix that.

What I do like about the helmet is that it is very comfortable and aerodynamic. The flip up windscreen is tight, no gaps. I think the opening is wide enough to fit goggles, but I don't have any to try.

It's a moot point anyways, because you can't get this helmet in the U.S. But just wanted to show the cool design. Next I think I'll get a Hebo carbon fiber helmet.