Tie down points on an Aluminum trailer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rob, Jul 20, 2019.

1. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly what forces are put on the wheel bearings that they don't see when supporting the bike while riding?
    NC Rick and Strong Bad like this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed! Inquiring minds want to know!
  3. Racerrrx

Racerrrx Long timer

Oddometer:

Other than the need to haul different bikes, all of this is just 100% wrong.
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pit-bull doesn't stress the wheel bearings like the other ones, it looks fiddly though.

The others, like the big front wheel clamps, put a lot of stress on the wheel bearings and lower fork clamps when you are transporting it unsupported with tie-downs. These are light weight, high speed bearings and don't tolerate forces while stationary (not spinning). You have a 300 lb or more weight on a two foot lever arm applying force, being held by the 4" spacing of the bearings. Then you have maybe only two tiny balls making a point contact in each bearing to resist the force of the bike waggling back and forth. It's a lot more force than the bearings see under normal use.
    NC Rick likes this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang this was going along just fine and dandy then all of a sudden we get:

Goats are like.jpg
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll sum up, then we move on... It doesn't have to be complicated, a little something to put the front wheel aginst and keep it from cocking sideways, four tie downs pulling slightly forward.

Back to it:
    A little waterproof grease between metals keeps the galvanic corrosion down.
  7. Trust

Trust but verify

Oddometer:
    Okay, what do you search for on eBay to find those excess shop cast-offs (for super cheap)? "Aluminum channel"? Do you specify the size? I'm looking to rebuild a steel trailer with aluminum parts to support a local school teacher with a recycling program ... anyway, story aside, I'm trying to source aluminum for as cheaply as possible - think public-school-budget level of pricing. (Hence the interest in this email tactic...)
  8. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    The Pit Bull system is super easy to use , is reliable and proven. I have done it the other way for many years, likely more than most and I would never go back. We hare in Moab with three bikes now.
    lilbcollins likes this.
  9. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Why aren't footpeg restraints used more often? Seems like a rack in the floor and a couple of turnbuckles through the footpegs would do the trick. Wouldn't require loading the suspension any more than a rider would. Only one I've ever seen is on my 3rd gen Add-a-Bike.
    sieg likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Footpegs break pretty easily when exposed to shock loading, like going over a pothole for example. They are meant to hold the weight of a rider, not of the bike while it's being accelerated upward. Some bikes can probably hadle that sort of loading fine, but many others won't.
  11. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    I've always been partial to Ancra removable tie down anchors
  12. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    That makes sense.
  13. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steel bolts hold the aluminum cylinder head to the aluminum block, what was the problem again? Oh, aluminum bolted to steel, like the aluminum engine bolted to the steel frame.

Best way to transport a bike. Take it all apart, put it in milk crates (unless a BMW then use Pelican cases), reassemble once you arrive.
    mode12 likes this.
  14. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    My personal objective with our aluminum trailer is weight reduction. Aluminum must be engineered well as it will fatigue. I tried to use aluminum for all the structure I added to keep with the theme. I used stainless fasteners where possible. Besides convenience, the Pit-Bull system was deemed by me to be secure, space efficient and easy on the mounting points because the motorcycle suspension is often helping. The foot peg mounting system seemed to me to be more likely to cause structural issues with the bike and trailer. I switch between road race bikes Dual sports and dirt bikes regularly. I also try to not overload the trailer and built in my own derating system. My trailer is rated at 3000 lbs and I won’t load it past 2500. We have three bikes and gear in it today, crossing Kansas.

I don’t have any regrets in those choices and I hope my comments are helpful to the OP, keeping in mind that there are many ways to accomplish our goals and different ideas can be good food for thought. I’m not saying that I know anything more than others.
  15. lilbcollins

lilbcollins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pit Bull hands down. No more worrying about broken straps or fork seals. EVER! IMG_1325.JPG