1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tierra Del Fuego to Deadhorse Alaska on a Harley Road King??????

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Gabeslaw, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Book ROAD FEVER, by Tim Cahill, he presented letters from higher ups like tourism department, Ambassadors, ect, requesting cooperation at the border. My ride will be raising $$$$ for the Joe DiMaggio Children Hospital so its a charitable humanitarian run helping kids. I understand that i have to grease some palms and being CUBAN........I am an expert in corruption. trust me on that. My Border talking points protocol is as follows:

1) tell them what I am doing with a smile on my face and letting them know that they can be a part of this and when I write my book I will mention them. Invite to have their pic taken with me.

2) Play dumb in Spanish.............

3) Grease some palms....bribes.......try for the low amount.

4) Last resort pull out the letters requesting cooperation

All plans are modifiable and subject to change without notice....LOL!

Oye Bananaman.....no te encuento bravo, ni molesto, pero tienes que sonrir cada rato!

[​IMG]
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alright, you've handled our nay-saying and tolerated our guff admirably. ...and I have to say it's also nice to see a harley rider who actually does some mileage and doesn't dress like a member of the village people. I'll throw you a bone. Here's some contact info for lyncargo, one of the air cargo operations shipping out of Bogota, and what they quoted me a few years back to give you an idea:

HANDLING OF BIKES

Dimensions: 143 cms high x 220 cms lenght x 92 cms width

Kilos per moto APROX 650 Kilos TC

TO

CONCEPT MIAMI

MAA Agency Fee USD 35.00

DGA / DGC Dangerous Goods USD 100.00

Flete Rate USD 1,15/Kg USD 747.50

MCC Due carrier USD 25.00

SCA Security USD 0,05/Kg USD 32.50

AWA Due Agent USD 45.00

TOTALS USD 985.00

VERÓNICA MOSQUERA OVIEDO
    MANAGER
    Movil: 311 223 7841
    veronicam@lyncargo.com
    info@lyncargo.com.co

LYNCARGO S.A
    Kra. 103 No. 25B-96 2nd Floor
    Bogota, Colombia
    Phone: (57-1) 742 5850
    Fax (57-1) 413 1622
    www.lyncargo.com
  3. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I wear my Klim gear in the cold and rain. I dont plan on wearing my Hoka Hey vest in Latin America. I dont like looking similar to a Power Ranger. I write for a local biker magazine and you all can read my rants then tear em up in posts if ya want. Go to: http://www.wheelsontheroad.com/
    and down load Oct & Sept to read on last summer's ride to Prodhoe and back but completing the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge on the way.

This old dog appreciates the thrown bone! God Bless!

Edit Add: I see your from WA. I was on WA 9 near 187 (???) and at 1 am in a dark street I was attacked by an ELK and lived to talk about it. He charged me and hit me going 30-35 mph. Dumb dear hit my crash guard.....safe to say he is Coyote snacks now! Will never forget WA in 2014!
  4. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An incurable optimist riding a huge American bike. Sigh. Your world (and Tim Cahill's world, for that matter) is not my world. He's funny as hell, but his books are best viewed as fictionalized stories which might have a basis in consensual reality--but then again might not.

And all that confident talk about "greasing palms" merely makes you sound silly. Fer godssakes quit posting nonsense and start reading real trip reports by non-fictional people who ride actual motorcycles in the places you're planning on going. You don't have to sound authoritative, or pretend you're well-researched, or claim serious purpose. We hear this stuff all the time. It's ok. You're among your fellow buffoons here...except that some of us have the advantage of having spent months or years riding all over Latin America.

Do I sound petulant? Time for me to follow my own advice. Tchau!
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    ...and diabetes is more prevalent than ever. :lol3

Annapurna's in Nepal though.:huh
  6. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Have you ever tried the letters of recommendations at the Borders? be honest now.................
  7. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Hey Bananaman..............why dont you ride with me. With all this posting I bet your chomping at the bit to get back on the road.

On another note.............will you be at the IBA dinner during bike week in 2015 (JAX)?
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Can't say I've tried it, but my gut tells me that pretending to be someone important at a border will just make bored border guards want to dick you around even more to show you who's really in control.
  9. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Dont knock it until you tried it young blood! I think Asshole had a good idea but failed to use it. Its nice to approach a boarder officer that is giving you a hard time, in my opinion, with a story your helping raise funds for sick children and you have letters helping ya out verifying it. Your not a rich kid with a bike having fun but rather on a humanitarian mission that will more likely than not get you some respect for your sacrifice and might even get you through without..............greasing palms!

[​IMG]

PS..................pics help the time go by quicker................
  10. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    how typical and slightly pathetic. do you think nicas or anyone else in the third world is gonna give a flying fuck that you're allegedly raising money for a hospital in your own country that already has more funding than ALL of the hospitals in the entire country where they come from????

maybe some middle-aged wanna-be bleach blonde, fake tittie, milfs in plantation will care but certainly not any cop, who if he worked for three lifetimes, couldn't afford to buy the bike you'll be sitting on...
  11. markharf

Oddometer:
    That photo's hilarious! The only thing that could make this thread funnier would be if you were playing us all. If you're taking the whole thing seriously, you're out of sight waaaaaayyyyyyy around the bend. Here's to a safe return (and I'll have three of whatever you've been having)!
  12. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice....I am sorry for you that you cant handle me NOT taking some of your adive. Seems to me that some of you have big heads because you have done the trip. I came accross these big heads when I was planning for the Hoka Hey Challenge and the Iron But Coast To Coast to Coast (Key West to Deadhorse to KW). People are all alike world wide. Your way is the only way. How arrogant and small minded. I successfully completed my run when top IBA rider was airlifted off the Dalton for not listening to a newbie. A BMW adventure rider was air lifted off the Dalton, why? His head was too big and his way was the only way. Had both listened to me they would not be injured. I will try to show you the pics of BIG HEADS results.

But then again, I am use to people like you. Always down in the mouth when people dont conform to the way you are or the way you do things. WHY? ADV Rider revolves around you. This is not my first time internationally traveling. I will continue my prep but if your going to insult me then just go somewhere else and do it. Keep you your negative comments to yourself. When I complete this run I guess I'll be singing, "How do you like me now!"
  13. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2014 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challengers

[​IMG]
  14. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    That's certainly going to be fun to ride in those Patagonian cross winds.
  15. BobinBahia

BobinBahia Lifelong M.I.A.

Oddometer:
    Relatively new on the site, I am just beginning a 2nd gen KLR trip from Ecuador to Tierra del Fuego. Not that I give a FF about the goal of reaching The Tip. The journey's the thing. I am probably not the one to comment, but just to stir the coals a bit...

Some on this site, some throughout the world- may wonder at the trophy acquisition desire (aka 'need'): trophy wives, trophy country club memberships, trophy wheels, trophy bank account zeros... Or trophy speed records across Latin America. (On a Harley...?) On this site it comes off like terminal Don Quixote Complex.

But what the heck, different strokes for different folks. If the "Paris-Dakar Rally" being held in South America...(?) is relatively 'authentic', maybe we can learn something from what at this point promises to be a "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" picaresque escapade.

Although an idiosyncratic record-breaking goal seems more important than the journey, I'm all for it. If it's what floats your boat, I say go for it. Sincerely. I for one am looking forward to watching the show. :clap

16. mardar

mardar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For your info, the Ferry is on its way to Panama at the moment. It should be ready on time october 24.
    Check it out on Facebook:
    ferryxpress

or webpage:
    http://www.ferryxpress.net

I can keep you posted since I live in Panama.
    The border crossings in central america are a waist of time but nothing impossible, between 1 and 3 hours average.

:clap
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    There ferry is bs. Everybody knows that.
  18. PTYCHRIS

PTYCHRIS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watch and see what happens....if it works out it will be great and useful, what is BS is your negative comments on topics you are unfamiliar with and much more is that you fail to know the difference between using there and their in the proper context.........get that straight first.
  19. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The ferry post really makes this thread. :rofl
  20. markharf

Oddometer:
    Agreed! And not a moment too soon.

Although....we are missing references to Nazi Germany and a few other devolutionary touchstones. I've bowed out of constructive participation, but hope the OP is not so incensed that he fails to post updates should the trip actually come to pass.

Mark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.