Tierra Del Fuego to Deadhorse Alaska on a Harley Road King??????

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Gabeslaw, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    The dirt roads around Lago Atitlan are notorious. The Panamericana through Guatemala is better. Guatemala is still dangerous.

DaveG explains what happened to him.

This can happen to any traveler anywhere, even in the US. You should heed the warnings and follow the strategies of the riders in this story.

Travelguard will insure your electronics up to $1,000.

If they're waving at you with a machete, add gas. If they're waving at you with a gun? Depending on the gun, stop or add gas.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Gabe,

Any rider running a route to set a record is very unlikely to encounter highway
    bandits as the major roads enjoy much greater security than tertiary dirt roads
    connecting small rural communities. Could still happen, though. Just far less likely.

It's advisable to filter all the information you encounter for relevance to your
    trip profile. You wouldn't let gang violence in East L.A. influence your routing
    between Phoenix and Tuscon, right?
  3. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The main roads seem to suffer from far more crooked cops though. If you're going for a speed record you'll be sure to tangle with them before too long.
  4. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I've been really lucky with this. Only one tangle with a crooked PFP on Hwy 57 just entering the DF. I even put my abogada on the cell to talk to him. She told me later he was a really bad one. :lol3

For whatever reason I seem to get away with outrageous speeds riding the cuotas on the GSA. Maybe not after this post, however.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cuotas are pay to play zones. Warp speeds are acceptable.
  6. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I concur and thought I would share since it was posted on my site. My thoughts on the "Frito Banditos" is by the time they get a scheme to rob me I am 50-70 miles down the road without stopping. I dont know how old you guys are but do you remember the Frito bandito?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Vy16kIOD-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Have spent many years trying to forget.
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    :pynd
  9. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Bring a Sat phone.

If you're worried about bandits, you should be more concerned about how vulnerable you are if you have a breakdown on the side of the road.
  10. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohhh yeah! Just got off the phone with Delorme and you will be able to track me on Facebook at the Attorney That Rides page, and on www.ScreamingThunder.com

Working on the code but you will be able to track me and I will be sending updates on both pages. I have had a lot of people just want to give me $$$$ for my trip.....not a lot but they said they rather give it to me than the hospital. They know the expenses I have so I started a Go Fund Me page.

FYI..... http://www.gofundme.com/gogabego

I spoke to Dunlop and they are working on finding me a dirt bike tire or dual road tire for the rear. Its a 16 inch rim but the bead is 5 inches wide so it takes a 180. Hard to find. Also trying to get free tires.

Holding various events but the big Kajuna is on April 12 on a Sunday. Your all invited to attend!

The first Fun Raiser is on Feb 27, on a Friday night with live music and much more.

[​IMG]
  11. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And now you went and did this:cry

So no longer a pure fund raiser for all the sick people; now its a "here donate money so I can go fuck off and ride my motorbike in South America"

IMHO these ride for charity rides are total bullshit when it goes this way.

Go spend your own money and do it for yourself:1drink If you want to donate a bunch money to whatever charity, better to just give them the money you would spend screwing off riding your bike, or better yet sale the bike and donate the funds. Riding motorbikes is a selfish experience unless you are riding two up:wink:

Now I need to go set myself up with go fund me site so I can get back down to South America and ride...:rofl
  12. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Well, so much for 'the kids', eh?
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    :lol3And I was gonna go in for a Loonie for entertainment purpose. Site wants my email....not going to happen, enough Spam in my box these days.:D

No decimals?....I can't put my 0.802787 USD/CA Loonie in there.:evil

Bargaining skills are important down there when faced with fines. Let me think? Colombia was $1000.00 US bargained down to $100.00 but that was 35 years ago. Mexico? $20.00 down to $2.00 after complimenting the cop about his Harley.:wink: And quite a few others......:lol3

Only once did it take a lawyer to get us out of the hole they put us in. Costly he was the lawyer, we should have paid the fine on the spot but by the time I could react the gringo we had just met had opened his big flapper and pissed off the authorities so off to the hole we went.:lol3
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Spam.

You never fooled me. All along you were saying you were never touching a penny, that all the money raised would go to the poor sick children, that you were paying for this out of your own pocket, blah blah lie blah.

This should get moved to the basement.
  15. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    :fpalm Gabe, you've done gone and put your foot in it this time.

Don't think I'm going to stick around to see how you attempt to dig your way out of this one. Have had enough of the nonsense from you and a couple of others that just can't stop their bleating.

best of luck to you and remember it's about the children.

:jinx
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  17. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    If he's trying to get money out of members here without paying a vendor fee, shouldn't this thread be nuked?
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    A simple phone call-

I called the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Foundation. Here's what I learned:

Gabe has directed a few thousand dollars to the JDCH Foundation.

Gabe was told that donations to him are not charitable or tax deductible.

Here's my question to Gabe: are you going to claim your trip expenses as tax deductable?

Edit: Apparently Gabe is trying to claim that donations to him are for charity.
  19. bananaman

Oddometer:
    If I had a vote, I'd say move it to Jo momma.
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    :nod
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.