1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tierra Del Fuego to Deadhorse Alaska on a Harley Road King??????

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Gabeslaw, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    well folks, take heed of his garish advertising that seems to figure prominently in his pics and his life, screaming, THE ATTORNEY THAT RIDES...
    that should tell you what you need to know. most attorney's don't need to scream it to the world.

to each their own.

i suspect he will complete his ride in his way and in the end say or at least think "fuck all those adv ff's."

yeah, fuck us all....

suerte attorneythatrides!
  2. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You'd think after 50 years he would know how to wear a hat.
  3. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its better Bananaman, I wont comment further because its counterproductive. I will continue seeking ideas and help from others, but if I choose not to take your advice......please don't take it personal.

I am not moved so I will continue to write on Harley-Davidson Adventure rides I complete. Over all I have received great advice and have some good PM with others riders. (take the meat and throw the bones to the side)

I will say that I am not a sight seeing rider but rather a Long Distance Motorcycle Endurance Rider. I enjoy the competition. If you don't that's cool with me and if I can help you in any way give me a holler.

As to my profession, its one of the most villonized so I am use to the wise cracks & jokes (or insults). I have a good reputation in the biker community in South Florida people know me so I will leave it at that.

Life goes forward with the bright promises of happy rides!

[​IMG]

Here is the GPS trackers on all the Hoka Hey Challengers of 2014 on the map either going back hom after leaving Key West on July 20 or traveling around the different parts of the U.S. As you can see that 804 is in Prodhoe Bay/Deadhorse. That be me.....I was one happy man that day and I am tonight going to organize my gas receipts and other evidence that I completed the Iron Butt Association's Coast-to-Coast-to-Coast Insane Run. They give ya 60 days to complete it and I completed it in 35. :clap
  4. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Here is a good pic of some mountains in ................damn, forgot. I think it was in North West Montana or Idaho. If your coming up from Mexico and you want to cross into Canada near the Willow Creek crossing its cheaper. Gas and other goods in British Columbia was way higher than Alberta. You pass the Yukon to get into Alaska but if part of your ride is Alberta you will save some coins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That ain't Montana. Not Idaho either. In fact, it's not even the USA. There are no glaciers like that in the lower 48, and no Harley Davidson-able highways past lateral moraines like that in Alaska, either.

It's the Icefields Highway, on the long straightaway where everyone stops to take photos before realizing the view is better from the Visitor Center parking lot.

The fact I could see that immediately squinting into bright sunlight on an old computer at low resolution ought to tell you something. Damned if I know what that might be, though. Something about speed, tunnel vision, or "wherever you go, there you are...." maybe.

Good luck with any and all.

Mark
  7. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark.......now that you say that I think it may have been this national park coming down through Alberta. Big tourist area and stuff Near Banff National Park? It was on my way home heading south. Traffic and trailer homes drove me nuts!
  8. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    If that's what floats your boat and that's what you want to do, go for it.

I think no matter how much research you do and how prepared you are logistically, it's too big of a learning curve and there are too many variables the first time down to be able to break any kind of record.
    But, the second or third time, for sure. By just doing it, you will learn so much that can only be learned by first hand experience that no amount of researching the internet can prepare you for.

Maybe pre run it in 60 or 90 days, or even go as fast as you can and see how how it takes. You will learn what you are up against. You will learn the best time of year to make the attempt, the best borders to cross, the best times to cross them, the procedures to cross them, stuff you can roll the dice on and stuff you can't, the best shipping option around the Darien, the places to cache tires and consumable parts, how to approach each stage of the trip, the time to allocate for each segment, and most importantly, the quickest route.

suerte!
  9. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I was saying that to my cousin in CR last night. If I screw up then next year try again. If you were 100% prepared it would not be an adventure.

I dont think there is a "verified documented" run on a Harley frm TDF to PB. I am sure some have done it and completed the run, but not Guinness Book of Word records type documented or to the Iron Butt Association (IBA) strict standards.

The IBA take their time verifying the evidence of a run before they post your name on the wall of accomplishments to issue one a certificate. You cant see it because its not open to non-members but I checked and no HDs to date. Tomorrow I can beat my time established. If my bike falls off the mountain, work harder, buy a bike, try again I say!

Gracias hombre por la suerte!
  10. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Gaston today regarding the shipping of my bike. What a knowledgeable guy. I had to cut him short because I was waiting to be called by the Judge and was. Not to sound lazy but....damn.....I have to ride down from Santiago to Ushaia. Would have been nice to pick up bike outside departing hotel in Ushaia. never the less the ride must go on and if you need someone who understands bikes, rides, and will handle your bike then call him. I was seriously impressed with him.

Gaston Etchart
    SamericaXplorer
    Miami, Florida. U.S.A.
    Tel: 904-343-4830
    samericaxplorer@gmail.com
    Export/Import Adventure Logistics
    Motorbikes & Overland Vehicles
    www.samericaxplorer.net

Bananaman..........thought you left? Behave yourself around my thread.....keep it civil.
  11. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Mark.......lets play: "NAME THAT PLACE!" See if you can name these places.......If you win then we crown you Da Man!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best of luck..........
  12. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
  13. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to Easter Island. Neither have you, but if we include Tiffany....
  14. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Hilarious!!!

I'm tempted to say Yes. Go For It. What could go wring?

Have you ever driven a car or truck with chains? That'd probably be a good place to start.

Never mind. Throw a set in your saddle bag. Strap them on in the Andes.
  15. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Which mountain crossing that separates Chile with Argentina that has the lowest elevation do you recommend for crossing if I leave 3rd week in April? I know, I know....leave in Feb or March but if ya had to answer what would your answer be?
  16. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I never have rode a Road King or Street Glide but I was under the impression that they are not that good on loose potholed gravel roads. So you are saying you can run them at speed no problem say 50 or 60 miles an hour? Because any lesser speed and you will not break or come close to any type of record!:1drink
  17. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't necessarily go for the one with the least snowfall, but rather the busiest and thereby likeliest to get plowed regularly.
  18. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    That makes sense.............
  19. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Depends if the road is packed, wet, dry, ect. I dont plan to travel at night except in the U.S. and Canada, and even in Canada when I get to the sticks I will retire around 9-10 pm due to the wildlife on the road at night.......Did I tell you I hit an ELK in WA and won? Check it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you notice my fairing its taped up and I have no longer the wind guards that direct the air or blocks the air. The Elk's head hit the crash guard. He saw me at night, took me as a threat, and attacked me....I WON!

He messed up my fairing, aux light with on antler and put a dent in my gas tank with the other. I was shaking like Janet Reno afterwards.......there was a big fire in WA that caused all the animals to go where the humans were. I am glad to be alive, but it makes a great bar story!

[​IMG]
  20. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    If you leave the 3rd week of April and plan to be in Deadhorse the 3rd week of May, snowfall in the Cono Sur might be the least of your worries.

May 18th 2013, south central Alaska:

[​IMG]

Your proposed time of year to do this ride is not really conducive to speed at either end of the planet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.