1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tierra Del Fuego to Deadhorse Alaska on a Harley Road King??????

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Gabeslaw, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ........The date of leaving has been one of the biggest headaches because of all the "advice" I am getting. I originally wanted to leave like the first ten days of May depending on the weather conditions. A lot of people say leave in April or March. I have a short window because I dont want snow in Alaska or Argentina.

I need luck, good weather and good cond roads. Utopia aint going to happen and in the history of Ushaia there has been snow 7 out of 31 days where it snowed but the Tourism and certain hotels down there say June is when the terrible storms come in.

I have all the heated gear and Klim Gortex gear. I am going to install heated grips on my bike. I can handle the cold.....not a problem. I can handle some snow as long as it aint 1000 miles of snow, but if I have to, screw it.....I will plow through....no pun intended! LOL!

I am now of the mind set if I complete it in whatever time this year and I am not satisfied then I will break my time next years since I have the experience. In other words............I cant show up in Alaska too early. June aint bad....

There was a guy who made it from Key West this year to Deadhorse in June from the IBA and it was cold but no snow.
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    It was unusually warm and very low snowfall in a Alaska this past winter. It can be snowing like hell in the Brooks Range in June.
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Ok. This is dumb. Really dumb. Not hitting an elk- we've all been in wrecks- but the way you tell the story.

I can never get through Don Quixote on account of how crazy Don Quixote is. Do you not realize... aw, fuck it. :baldy:baldy:baldy
  4. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude that was a mule deer! Elk are like 3 to 4 times larger!
  5. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I showed the pics to a Canadian Park Ranger who told me it was a young elk because elks are more aggressive. I am not an expert in this. So I took his version and it sounds more bad ass in a bar than hitting a deer. Who knows what heck it is.. All I know I thought I was going down and the biker was fish tailing like a MoFo and i just finished crapping my pants. Noooo....wait....after that I had to drive into a sand ditch after gaining control cause a truck hauling a boat was 4 cars lengths away barreling down a hill towards me. If I did not go into the ditch on my terms the truck would have taken care of that.

I laugh now but I was not laughing then. Deer are stupid....dangerously stupid. Worse are the Bison that the lights dont shine off their fur or eyes at night.....scary!
  6. BobinBahia

BobinBahia Lifelong M.I.A.

Oddometer:
    Same here. A vigorously self promoting anti-Easy Rider out to score a record may seem like an odd idea. But it's just a cultural difference, this time strangely inverted. If I disrespect his attempt, I'm no different from the red neck goons in the flick. And if this is what he wants, I hope he goes for it and it turns out great. :clap
  7. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    If you're not on the Edge, you're taking up too much room............. Different cultures indeed, I take no disrespect from your comments, I guess we all share the same roads. I can tell you that I run in circles that would not feel comfortable in this blog but they are all Harley Adventure riders, more long distance endurance but great guys. :thumb

Did you see the video? Mr. Williams? He has a story to tell.........he rode 9K miles in 10-days! when I interviewed him but he finished when a lot of these knuckle dragging younger bikers went home because their ciatica hurt......Pussys! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0naU3YJbs
  8. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Bananaman, I know you know, no one is taking that away from you, and if they yawn that's ok to.....its not the end of the world. "Yo soy el loco que quero ser; no el loco que me dicen que soy."
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:

You have to give the man credit, he's put up with your shit without coming unglued. :lol3 Sure, he may not remotely understand what he is up against trying to ride it in 28 days, and he certainly is not making it easy on himself nor being the slightest bit realistic due to the time of year, but I hope he at least gives it a shot. He will have an awesome experience, especially if it takes him 4 months or more. :D
  10. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Look....I would do the first choice, but I am forced to do hell bent choice (modified of course) because I work, pay student loans, 2 kids, and a house payment. I am taking 40 days to complete the trip. De Pinga!

If I come in four months later I still make the records because up to now........that I know of.....there is no "verified documented" ride record.....the IBA will verify the run for me and place me in their books. Then next year I can break that record with my new found knowledge and experience. Cool Runnings mon!

When people tell me I cant do that's when I get pissed and do it just to ram it up their non-believing..........................(Breathes deep, exhales....repeats: "I am not unglued. I am not Unglued, I AM NOT UNGLUED!") LOL! :lol3
  11. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YES, probably I will ..... ;-P
  12. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    You have to be a bit realistic. The last guy I know of trying to beat some kind of record was that Nick Sanders guy, a few years ago. He was on a Super Tenere, rides fast, and had pre arranged support and help at many borders, sponsored by Yamaha so had everything he needed for the bike stashed in various locations in Latin America, had his quick Darien crossing pre-arranged well in advance, etc, and a bunch of shit went wrong (which is normal in Latin America) and he still didn't set any kind of record. Besides that, he had already ridden the length of the Americas 3 times before IIRC so he knew exactly what to expect.

Just go do the trip and have fun, then you can decided if its realistic to set some kind of record that probably no one on the planet will care about.

And, Bananaman can be a total dick on the internet, but we still love him anyway. :lol3
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Here ya go:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13572010

Robs ride report is as entertaining as any I've ever read. Plus, in person he's a total comedian.
  14. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    And you are on here giving Gabe a bunch of shit? I need to get some of my Baja race buddies to slap you and tell you what a bad idea it is what you want to do. :deal Just wait until race day when a 1000 hp trophy truck is crawling up your ass at 150 mph.

:lol3
  15. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    That boy is my hero! BIG RESPECT.................Coño!
  16. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s a nice behavior to come to Latinamerica!!!
    You never think that you are insulting everybody down the US border???
    You really think that someone smart will believe that about “ride for raise”???
    Why you better don’t use your time and money to come and visit any public hospital down here?
    Then go back to the state make a record there about how much money you can raise for help to the 3rd world medical care.
    Or if all what you want is to ride just do it, let you gringo stereotype look and attitude at home.
    From the planning aspect, start your trip in the north and ship back your bike from where you finish so you will have only one and cheaper sending.
    I told you about Dick Fish record???
    He have done it from North to South starting end September and finishing (21 days later) in October. Ahhhh years before he make same ride but relaxed, so he had some previous experience about ride down here….
  17. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, now that all are kissing each other....

Algunas cosas no se pueden dejar pasar!!!

Saluditos y no se enojen
  18. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Hola Javier. Entiendo completamente. I remember when I pulled into your shop almost 4 years ago over Christmas on my beat up KTM. You looked at me and said, I suppose you want to ship your bike home? I said, no thanks, I think I will just ride it home.

You and Sandra made me a very nice Christmas dinner, I will never forget that. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Gracias por todo, Vicente.
  19. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Typical....you assume I have money and time....LOL! I saw his record in the IBA stats that you can only see if you have the IBA UN/PW. He is also in the Guinness book of world records I am told. What type of shop do you have javier? Trabajas en todo tipo de motos? Oh solamente las non-Harley?
  20. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still waiting to hear if he can run Routa 40 at speed on a Road King!:lol3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.