1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tierra Del Fuego to Deadhorse Alaska on a Harley Road King??????

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Gabeslaw, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a noble endeavor you are attempting but really any prepped 650 would probably be quicker than a Street Glide or Road King and as stated above be a non record! Maybe if you got proper bikes and attempted the record people would take this much more seriously!:1drink
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I think its doable on a Road King, but if I was hell bent on using a Harley I would probably choose a Sportster with upgraded longer travel suspension, but that's just me.

My buddy Rob was cruising along Ruta 40 at a pretty good clip on his Road King. But the low clearance will really slow you down in many places, and if you have to slow down much, you can forget about a record.

[​IMG]

However, if you think about Ushuaia to Deadhorse in 21 days, that's over 700 miles per day in Latin America no less, including Darien Gap transport so it's probably more. I think it will be a very long time before that record is broken, and for someone to do it with less than optimal conditions on each end, no support along the way, and the first time ever on the route, the odds of even coming close are pretty astronomical IMO.
  3. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    The 747 will go around. The trophy truck will just run you off the road. :lol3

Nevertheless, good luck! You will get quite an education pre-running and will have a revelation or two. You will be humbled. :lol3 Better start pre-running the minute the course is published. I think you'll find that pre-running is way more fun than racing anyway. :D

If I had the time I would come down and pre-run with you, and try to talk you out of it the whole time. :lol3 With zero race experience, zero Baja off road experience, and without a proper bike, IMO, what you want to do is way more sketchy than trying to set some kind of record between Deadhorse and Ushuaia on a Road King. :deal

Think about an IB ride on the pavement. Then think about an IB race in sand, silt and rocks, and huge whoops, on a narrow two track live race course with moto's, buggys and trucks showering you with rocks, pushing you off the course, flying past you and running up your ass, for 1000 miles. Even if you rode a proper bike, which you should seriously consider, chances of finishing Ironman style are extremely small. The Ironman thing is a very, very big deal, even just to finish. You going to run your own pits the whole way?

The good part is that when you withdraw from the race you should get most of your entry fee back, except for around $500 bucks I think. :deal Late entries are an extra $400 IIRC.
  4. BobinBahia

BobinBahia Lifelong M.I.A.

Oddometer:
    Hat, or restraining device? :wink:
  5. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what bike is Bananaman planning to run the 1000 on?:1drink
  6. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    No its brilliant. I would bet Harley would buy you a brand new replacement bike put you up in Vegas for a week with unlimited hookers and blow and put your face on every rag in the country!:lol3
  7. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds oh to familiar to bman's record attempt at the Baja 1000, these two are a great pair:lol3 See which thread gets the most hits:lurk

Need a poll to see who will spend the most on their record:rofl
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    The difference is that I'm not insulting those who give me advice. Shit, John- you should be encouraging me, cuz if I fail and don't die, I'll bring another case of New Glarus beer to the party next summer.
  9. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally B'man gets that I am in for the HD record or IBA accolades. By the way....I did not insult you for GIVING me advice I was referring to your words when I made the choice not to take ALL your advice. God forbid that I cant make decisions for myself. Or are you jealous that i am in the Deer Hunter club as yourself????

[​IMG]
  10. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am:1drink, Now get your ass back to chain sawing or whatever the hell you do to 'think' you are getting into shape for this Baja 1000 run. Goodluck with your efforts, still think what you and the lawyer are doing for records is stupid as fuck but that is just me:norton There's always someone searching for a record or something, it never quits...

I thought you where done here anyway about 4 pages ago :deal

I'll take some Modelo Negro in Mexico next year:freaky
  11. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this is a wonderful cultural opportunity to export the american brand of harley "lifestyle" to Latin America. Get a shirt made that says "si puedes leer esto, la puta se cayo" on the back and dress like a pirate. You'll need extra loud pipes for this mission. It'll be sweet.
  12. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  13. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    la puta....LOL........or "me ves Ahore come meilda?"
  14. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is double up on full body armor and if you wrangle that pig to the finish I will get down on my knees and sing your praise!:lol3
  15. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    your saying that at 50 you have 10-18 years of riding left is insulting. At 68 I am still riding 20K+ miles a year and not thinking of cutting back. And there are a lot more than me out here.

To the best of my knowledge the IBA, Like Guiness Book of Records, does not certify speed records as they imply a concurrence in possibly breaking speed laws. They apply standards of accomplishment, like 60 days for your Key West-Prudhoe- Key West UCCC ride, and certify you met that standard. The most recent speed rider from Prudhoe to Key West got a certificate saying he did it in 30 days, not the actual time. And brand of bike is immaterial. You can check with Ira Agins in the IBA forums on this. He handles these questions for Kneebone.

For someone who uses words as a way of making a living you are a very bad speller.:D
  16. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    OK............I am making plans to go to Santiago, Chile to rent a HD to drive to Ushaia and back. Does anyone know if they rent Harley's in Santiago Chile??? I am going to scout the area.......See Mr. bananaman.....I do listen

UPDATE: ...........I found the shop and spoke to Guido Rojas. Another Attorney That RIDES! he is in Santiago, Chile and I can ride a Street Glide to Ushaia and back for $200 per day. Might go down toward the end of November. His web site is http://www.hardroad.cl/

I was thinking of the anti-biker comment about dressing up like pirates....LOL! I saw this pic of folks at a pirates ship in Chile who rode from Santiago to Punta Arena and back with the HOG rental place, bar (very important), B&B, repair shop, more......here is the pic:

[​IMG]
  17. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    They will, but be prepared for long waits at border crossings. Took us 5 hours to get our 5 bikes through at 2 crossings last year, coz they were Chilean registered.
  18. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Yes, the owner who is an attorney says that he has to give me a power of attorney doc and Argentinian insurance and Chilean insurance that cover's the bike leaving Chile. 100% coverage but for the first $1K that i leave cash as deposit.

I am excited....B&B, Biker bar, bike shop its an all in one type accommodations for bikers. I love the sound of it. trying to get cheap air fare to Chile...looking now! :clap
  19. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just be forewarned that Santiago to Ushuaia will be the easiest riding of your whole trip by a long shot.
  20. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Yep, we had all that shit too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.