Tiger 800 Lithium Battery

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dabbott09, Aug 20, 2018.

1. dabbott09

dabbott09 n00b

Oddometer:
    Did some legwork today on lithium battery options for the 800 I thought I’d share. I was looking to mainly shed weight and add reliability at the same time. Had a great experience with the WPS lithium in my DRZ400 and it had the lowest price and highest cold crank amps, so I went with that for my ‘14 XC.

STOCK
    Yuasa YTX16-BS

12v / 230 cca
    12.6 lb
    $79

LITHIUM
    WPS HJTX20CH-FP-IL / Firepower 490-2518

12v / 360 cca
    3.1 lb
    $144

Shorai LFX21A6-BS12
    12v / 315 cca
    3.0 lb
    $180

BatteryMaster DLFP-16-BS, 780824
    12v / 270 cca
    3.5 lb
    $163

Prices were the cheapest I could find through Google 8/20/18. With any of these lithium upgrades, you’ll be saving over 9lb!
  2. teamduh

teamduh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great research. Thanks for sharing.

Is there any performance difference for charging and recharging that you notice?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  3. dabbott09

dabbott09 n00b

Oddometer:
    In a year of use I never even had to hook it up to the tender. If you do choose to hook it up, make sure your battery tender is made for use with lithium batteries as I’ve heard there’s some issues with using a regular one. Lithium charges significantly faster than AGM or lead acid.
  4. middleage crazy

middleage crazy When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'm going on 3 and 4 years respectively with 2 WPS batteries in my KTMs, like you nether have ever been on a charger or maintainer. If ether went bad tomorrow I'd feel like I got my money's worth.
    dabbott09 likes this.
  6. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI. I use Li batteries in my race bike, but I don't think I'd ever use on in the Tiger. They don't like to be cold. I had issues with the race bike when the temps drop below 50 at night when at the track.
  7. dabbott09

dabbott09 n00b

Oddometer:
    I never had any problems with a cold battery, rode every week during the winter in Salt Lake City. If the high was 40 or above, I’d ride the bike and it always fired right up. In some cases in the future I might have to “warm up” the battery by running the headlight or cranking for a bit, but I’m comfortable enough with what I’ve experienced to rely on it every day.
  8. ZiaThunder

Oddometer:
    That's great. I still would be careful with them in the winter based on my experiences. Besides, if it's weight savings you're after, there are ways to lose more than that on the bike... like changing out the exhaust.
  9. dabbott09

dabbott09 n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve picked one up, the battery won the weight savings battle though at 9.5lb. I’ve done the legwork on pipes, most exhausts available only save an average of 6lb at a high dollar cost (many $400+). The lightest and most affordable is the Danmoto Off Road I ordered that’ll save 8.3lb.
  10. ZiaThunder

Oddometer:
    Hum, I haven't looked at them for the tiger, but swapping out the exhaust on the 675 saved me about 20 lbs.
  11. PanamaJacob

PanamaJacob PanamaJacob.com

Oddometer:
    I use WPS. There are only a few manufacturers of lithium cells and this being a high margin product you won't find many differences in quality as long as you buy brand name unit.
    I chose WPS because of the 'battery check' feature.

upload_2018-8-25_18-36-31.png

Some guy made a vid about it. Linky
  12. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm now 6 years into a Shorai lithium battery and it is still going strong. In the winter I keep it on a Battery Tender Plus, which isn't designed for lithium batteries but obviously hasn't wrecked mine.

In 2017 I abused the battery quite a bit. Someone stole my CPAP battery while I was on a roadtrip, so I powered the CPAP all night long every night from the bike battery. This CPAP is a nightstand model, not a travel model intended to run off of a battery--it is not power efficient at all. Despite all this, there were no problems any morning starting the bike, a big 1200cc BMW. Not bad for a 5-year old battery that had been draining all night.

So given my personal experience and the fact that it works well with my existing charger, I'm definitely getting a Shorai for the Tiger when its factory battery dies.

P.S. If you see a battery charging in a random public outlet somewhere, please don't steal it. Someone might need it to breathe.
    9Realms and dabbott09 like this.
  13. Bear_wa

Bear_wa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to change mine out, 9 pounds is significant!
  14. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put in a Shorai in my Super Tenere and never looked back. It would crank and start much better than the stock battery, even after extended periods of not using the bike.

The only thing to look out for is that it needs to warm up a little bit when starting for the first time during very cold days. Just turn the ignition on, leave it on for a bit, and then start the bike.
  15. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2012 Tiger 800xc is still on its original factory battery... I was thinking the other day, I'm probably on borrowed time with it. I think I may go this route this winter.
  16. teamduh

teamduh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A bit... 3 seconds, 30, 3 minutes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  17. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    60-90 seconds for the first start of the day in 30-40 degree weather.

Sent from a phone
  18. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    Just ordered wps from flebay, they have 10% off anything right now, so it was 135 shipped. Stock battery is almost 6 years old and works fine, just for piece of mind
  19. dabbott09

dabbott09 n00b

Oddometer:
    +1 on WPS, in some cases they’re branded as “Firepower” as well. That’s what I dropped into my Tiger and it’s been a champ.
  20. fuscavw

fuscavw n00b

Oddometer:
    I am about to order the WPS off ebay and the seller that lists it the cheapest says it's not compatible with the Tiger 800 whereas another seller says it is. I am worried about the 4" width and need to know from you guys for sure that you didn't have any problems with the fit since it appears that it will be tight. I appreciate it.