Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can most certainly use tuneecu on a pc to reset the service indicator. Been doing so for the last 6 years.
    LordZed likes this.
  2. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I didn't see it it anywhere. What part of the program is it located in?
    LordZed likes this.
  3. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone in this thread used an Android device + FTDI USB cable to upload tunes? I don't have a windows laptop, but I do have TuneECU for Android and I have read that it has the same capabilities.

My bike currently has the 20768 tune on it, and I'm thinking of at least upgrading to the newest factory tune (21066) before I try out TCMB's hybrid one.
  4. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    Same here, please share your knowledge, Kildareman :)
    mode12 likes this.
  5. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me bad. Bluestar wrote tuneecu. I read Dealertool. Can't even blame dyslexia on that one.

At the minute only Dealertool (purchase) or Tigertool ( Free software. see tiger800.co.uk. Search for member T800XC) can reset the spanner.

My apologies for mis-information
    LordZed likes this.
  6. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings from sunny Greece.

I want to ask you some questions.
    1) i downloaded the TCMB map for the non abs roadie Tiger 800. Is this the latest or there is an update map. If yes where is it?
    2) if i install a free flow air filter such a K&N is it ok? Or i shouldn't ?
    3) the map works good only with leovince or other cans are suitable such a SC project for an example.

New to the forum and sorry for my bad English.
  7. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    TuneECU can reset the maintenance light, but I've only done it using the Android app and a Bluetooth OBD reader.
  8. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Could someone please tell me what the latest map is for a 1st gen 800 with a stock can?
  9. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    21062 for the non ABS ROADIE
  10. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    21066 with ABS.
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  11. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Sorry, should have specified...i'm new to this whole ABS business :lol3

I have a 2011 Roadie with ABS.

Thank you gents, much appreciated.
    ApocalypseT8 likes this.
  12. roll_it_on

roll_it_on Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TCBM - I was wondering if you have looked at the newest factory maps for the 800XC ? (21065 and 21067) I see reports that these newest tunes perhaps have changed/improved other operational parameters (more responsive fuel gauge, etc). Perhaps overlaying your hybrid tuning onto the latest factory maps would be a good thing to do (if in fact that has not been done as of yet).
  13. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    Today I updated the ECU from 20768 to 21066 using the LonElec FTDI cable and an Android tablet and a Windows PC.

I tried with the Android tablet first, but the read/write speeds were abysmal. Took almost 45 minutes to download the current tune off the ECU.

Switched to using TuneECU on Windows and that same download finished in 5 minutes.

After the reprogramming was done, I did the relearn procedure where you get the bike up to 90*C and then let it idle for 12 minutes without touching the throttle. For anyone else out there.. be sure you have at least a half tank of gas before you do this because I was in the low fuel light range by the time it was done.

My impressions of the new tune are that it seems to have:

1. Smoothed out the idle. The stepper motor doesn't seem to be "hunting" as much now. It just sounds like a very consistent and rhythmic idle.
    2. Mellowed power delivery. The bike seemed a lot jerkier before, but now the throttle input is very predictable. Nonetheless, the bike will still send you hurling into the future at 88mph if you twist that throttle. The tune MAY have improved the lean spot at 4k rpm.. but it's hard to tell.
    3. Improved MPG, possibly. The best avg MPG I was getting before in city riding (45-55mph in 5th gear cruise on flat land) was 38. Now I am seeing 45, if not more.
    4. The cranking over seems different, but maybe I'm just imagining things. It seemed like before, the starter motor was really trying to get it going, but now she just fires up. Still takes 4 "blips" before it goes on its own, but the effort in each blip seems less.

I'm still tempted to try TCMB's hybrid tune, but maybe in a year or so. (I've only had the bike 2 months)
    ApocalypseT8 likes this.
  14. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    Very happy with the hybrid tune so far. Huge MPG increase for me. It isn't as frantic t low RPM as the Arrow tune, but will still boogie at WOT. I actually feel the need for less WOT and find myself cruising at a less aggressive pace with this tune. The bike seems happy to just pulse along without the sharp throttle tip in and hyper sensitive feel. I like this so far!
  15. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Someone kidnapped TCMB where are you mate?
  16. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    After a 500 km mini trip with speeds from 75 to 85 mph i made 5,9 l/100km. In mpg is 47,8. I use the 21062 oem map with an SC project can and the baffle on. The overall bike feeling is very smooth. No complains. I will drive the same road at Sunday. I will use the hybrid map. With the same gas stations and I will inform you about the milage.
    LordZed likes this.
  17. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    I did some riding today and my bike (with the 21066 tune) managed to get very similar MPG on the highway -- doing anywhere between 60-75mph.

So hey at least 2 of us have had consistent results on the "newer" factory tunes.

Did you get a chance to test the Hybrid tune yet?
  18. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Today i will test
  19. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    So as I said i tested the Hybrid map today. Same distance same gas station. I got 48 mpg. The map is very good. More power than the stock very smooth but a little bit empty above 4000 rpm. Maybe TCMB will see the new maps and update the Hybrid. Until then I will stick with the oem map.
  20. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    ApocalypseT8 likes this.