Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Silent mobius

Silent mobius Silent Mobius

Oddometer:
    So... Finally I was able to take a Ride with the hybrid Tune and I should say that I'm very happy with it: on a 300 Km Ride I've managed to find that my consumption was 60 mpg with speeds between 80 and 120 Km / h What put this tune as the most ecnomic. Also I canĀ“t really say that I've lost any power or life on my Bike.

Once again... thank you TCMB (y)

TigerMode800XC'er
    BartW_NL and ApocalypseT8 like this.
  2. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks. Been super swamped with work. Deploying a large data system in a 500+ employee company by yourself is time consuming! :jjen

I was not aware there were new versions of the OEM maps available. Hate to break it to you guys though, the Fuel and Ignition maps between the old and their new replacements appear to be exactly the same. So if there are any differences, they must be happening behind the scenes of the GUI. Tried deciphering the raw hex file but I don't have much experience with hex to be honest. Anyone else?
  3. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance to get it for non-ABS roadie?
  5. Quinn Otte

Quinn Otte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I'm BRAND NEW to the tuning game, but have a lot of experience with bolt-ons.
    I've got TuneECU and a cheap amazon cable that I got to do a throttle body sync.
    I'm riding a 2011 800XC with ABS. Arrow exhaust. Stock air intake.
    No idea what the current map is, but I've had the bike for 3 years and haven't touched it.
    I'm a daily rider/commuter, 50/50 street/dirt.

What map should I use? There's the current 21065 factory map, or the custom "hybrid" Arrow tune... I'm just not sure.
    Feel free to PM if these questions are silly and you don't want to clutter the thread.

Thanks guys.
  6. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you have 3 choices currently:

1. Stick to your current tune.
    2. Upgrade to the newer factory tune, which would be 21064..but we have no definitive proof that the newer OEM maps improve anything.
    3. Go with TCMB's hybrid tune.
  7. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    It seems like the hybrid tune is highly regarded, and won't brick my engine at least. We'll give it a shot!
  8. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    Let us know your impressions!
  9. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to put the 21065 latest tune and run a tank or 2, and then load the hybrid map and give it a shot. I'm hoping the newest tune will retain some of the "behind the scenes" fixes like the fuel indicator/etc even after I put the hybrid map on. Does anyone know if uploading the hybrid map changes ONLY the fuel map, or is it built on an old tune that changes everything? Does that question make sense?

I'm also slightly concerned about the engine running hotter. I don't like that at all... cooler is always better. Have the heat issues and decel popping been addressed?
  10. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that won't work. TCMB's Hybrid Tunes are based off the "old" firmware, so when you flash it onto the ECU then you lose whatever was on the 21065 map.

(this all assuming the old vs new firmware has any actual differences)
    ApocalypseT8 and HerbTarlek like this.
  11. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made some non-ABS tunes for a Roady based on "new" firmware. Combined TCMB's Hybrid Tune with fresh Triumph one (21062). The same for the Economy tune. Was quite easy.

800 Roady non-ABS
    Mac - Tiger 800 - 21062 - Hybrid Tune (based on TCMB)
    https://www.mediafire.com/?0m4dbesykg13umq

Mac - Tiger 800 - 21062 - Economy (based on TCMB)
    https://www.mediafire.com/?mssoaddcbq6ro4z

All fresh hybrid maps can be downloaded from the link below. All of them are based on theycallmeebryan's Hybrid maps, all I did is updated to fresher base tune from Triumph. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1rc85c44c8301/Tiger_maps_-_Hybrid_based
    LordZed likes this.
  12. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    I am running the latest Arrow tune, and I hate how it drinks gas at cruising conditions. I have a ~600 mile trip coming up, and would like to not be filling up every 140 miles.

QUESTION: Can I edit the F3, L3 and I3 maps to match either the latest stock tune or TCMB's hybrid tune, to give me the gears 4-5-6 gas-sipping cruising behavior, while maintaining 1-2-3 grunt for off-roading once I get to the dirt? Or will that not work for any reason?
  13. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
  14. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    A/F map is the only thing I see potentially causing a problem. There is only one A/F map for all the F,L, and I maps.
  15. roll_it_on

roll_it_on Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been running the older version of the arrow tune for some time and my latest trip I had averaged 51 mph. I just loaded the newer version of the map and have only run it around for a short stint. It seems to run pretty good (the same) but but if the mileage changes I will reload the older map. I used to play with the maps on my PCIII to deal with fueling issues on past bike. Does the F trims table in Tune ECU work like the PCIII if you adjust one cell 5% does it add fuel for all of the fuel maps for all gears??
  16. mikeyman67

mikeyman67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The day I get 51 mpg on my 2013 Roadie is the day I kept it under 55 mph all tank. Best I am able to get is about 43mpg.
  17. dinkydonuts

Oddometer:
    How much do you guys weigh? I'm probably also maxing out at 40-42mpg, but I'm a good 215lb with all my gear, and I do 75-80MPH when I ride on my local interstates.

I have the stock 21066 tune.
  18. roll_it_on

roll_it_on Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 210 before gear and I am ham fisted when the road gets twisty. My last trip involved two lane roads and running around 65mph but not interstate speeds. I also was using a 17 tooth front sprocket which keeps the revs down at cruising speed. My mileage takes a big hit when running the 15 front.
  19. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    I weigh as much as you guys..........when you're carrying your wives with you. :lol3 I noticed mine took a hit when the motor was rebuilt , I asked my guy if he reflashed my bike. Yup.......Can't go back either , at least with factory Triumph hardware. Light now pops on around 135-150. Used to come on at 150-155. Been on a 15 tooth front since nearly new.
  20. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    Currently indicating 36.7mpg on the latest Arrow tune (21065). 50/50 highway/city. Fresh oil change (250 miles). Not aggressive on the throttle at all. Stock gearing. 215-225# of load. Tire pressures good. Chain clean. Bike sounds great.

I used to average ~41mpg/tank on the old tune, but... honestly I swear I saw the plummet in economy 1 tank before I swapped tunes. (Swapped tunes during the 24k service.) I thought maybe my gas station had gotten a bad batch, but I filled up on the other side of town with no change. Seafoamed a tank post-oil change, as is tradition; I still saw no change.

I hope my map modification fixes things. I might run the full stock tune for a day or 2, see if it fixes it, then try my "frankensteined" tune.

I've already created it, if anyone wants a copy, PM me and I'll email it.