Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Quinn Otte

Quinn Otte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it (Latest Arrow maps/firmeware with maps F3, I3, L3 copied over from the latest standard tune). It's wonderful, feels very nice. Power wheelies in 1st, >50mpg cruising at 68. Don't have a hosting site to upload it to but I can email it directly if anyone happens to be interested.
    mikeyman67 and HerbTarlek like this.
  2. HerbTarlek

HerbTarlek meh.

Oddometer:
    PMd you for the map

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. mikeyman67

mikeyman67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pm sent!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  4. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    Sent to everyone who asked. Keep us updated on your experiences.
    LordZed likes this.
  5. Quinn Otte

Oddometer:
    Put about 250+ miles on the bike with the Frankenstein tune last night. No interstates, lots of small highways. Me+gear=270# or so. Got an indicated ~42mpg, calculated 45.6. I wasn't gentle with the throttle, there was some 75mph twisties and 85 mph stretches of straight slab.
    LordZed likes this.
  6. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Pm send
  7. Ronin1

Ronin1 Hoonigan

Oddometer:
    I uploaded TCMB's hybrid tune on my 2012 Roadie ABS yesterday and while I only put about 35 miles on it I can say the idle seems smoother, low RPM seems to pull a bit harder (smoother?) and the deceleration popping is much less. Bike is stock excepting the Leo Vince can. We'll see long term but so far so good. Thanks TCMB.
    ApocalypseT8 likes this.
  8. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    Uploaded and put about 50 miles on this tune so far. I know every bike is slightly different and reacts different to tuning, but as of now, this is my favorite tune to date. Smooth, snappy power, and my bike just seems to like it! I am getting that Arrow tune grunt, new Triumph mapping (which feels 100% better on my bike), and respectable MPG the Arrow tune robbed.
    Quinn Otte and ApocalypseT8 like this.
  9. ApocalypseT8

ApocalypseT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried this map? Is there an difference from the first hybrid map?
  10. ewaugh

ewaugh Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Jimbobway93

Jimbobway93 n00b

Oddometer:
    Fellow Riders, has anyone tried the hybrid map on an ABS Roadie w/ stock exhaust? I'm new to the tuning game and TCMB's hybrid map intrigues me but I noticed in the title he states "with non-stock exhaust." Should I just stick with the factory map if I'm not planning to upgrade my exhaust? Any help would be great!
  13. ewaugh

ewaugh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any guidance as to running with or without the silencer on a Leo Vince makes a difference to the tune with the hybrid tune?
  14. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading several pages and going to Tuneecu am I correct in that I'm out of luck to do any ECU work/upgrade on a 2016 Tiger 800 XCx outside of a shop?
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yup, the ECU is locked down.
  16. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on trying the hybrid tune with my LV pipe as soon as the weather allows. Prior posts indicate that is should be a good tune
  17. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only discernible difference that I can tell is in the exhaust note. I ran several thousand miles with the dB killer removed because I liked the sound. No performance difference that I can tell. I just reinstalled it recently.
  18. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming your 2016 800 XCX is identical to the 2015 800 XCX, and you can firm to see if the ECU part numbers are identical.
    If you are comfortable with following the instructions, you could install a DynoJet Power Commander V and download and install the closest MAP
    They have maps available for the Tiger 800 with:
    1. Stock exhaust and air filter
    2. Two brothers slip-on and stock air filter, and
    3. Arrow slip-on and stock air filter.
    The best tune for you and your bike will come from an experienced tuner and a dyno.
    I have gone this route with my Harley which I installed a larger S&S create motor and had a host of well-proven aftermarket performance goodies.

However, what is the problem with your 2016 800 XCX that you want to solve?

My 2015 has tons of power. I have replaced the stock 16t front sprocket with a 14t sprocket, so now with TTC and ABS off and in Sports mode, the front wheel is airborne with a blink of an eye, and the top end (even with the 14t) is way past getting the bike sized. I installed the 14t for much better off-road performance, but at least for me, the lower power of the Off-Road mode is still enough to get me in trouble.

I did pick up a used Arrow can from a fellow inmate at an excellent price, however, honestly, I would now want to spend the $$$$, on improving the Tiger that I did for the HD.
    I also run the Arrow with the DB-Killer installed most days as I want to continue to be well-liked by my neighbours. I have pulled it out for day trips with the boyz, but, to be perfectly honest, a loud Triumph Triple does not sound as nearly as cool as a V-twin (HD or Duc) and as such I quickly get bored of the loud noise.

I run the stock air filter, with the OEM factory tune with my arrow can, and I have no performance challenges.
    I have installed a K&N airfilter in my pickup and my Harley, however, again, I just don't see a simular need for the Tiger.

I did follow the ECU (re) learning process after I installed the arrow can. Don't touch the throttle, start the bike and let it idle for 20 minutes.
    I also installed a unifilter precleaner as I ride on dusty logging roads, and then did the ECU learning process again.
    In short, there are a ton of upgrades that can make you Tiger a lot for fun to ride, and here a short list of mine.

Rick
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks but I was just pointing out the ECU limitations to Teutates74. I'm pretty well versed on using a piggy back tuner. I don't feel the need to change the fueling on the Tiger, it runs nicely.
    Raconnol likes this.
  20. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is not the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info.