Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my question. My 2013 800XC hasn't seen the dealer since break in service, has Triumph produced updated tunes since Summer 2014. I think that was the 6000 mile service performed at GoAZ.
  2. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check Tuneecu.com. Latest tunes for our bikes are there.

If you have ABS then for standard tune you should be at 21067.
    Arrow tune is 21065
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I just need get out my dealertool and see tune I have. Sounds like people are happy with the new stock tune. Mechanically mine is bone stock
  4. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each tune iteration has been an improvement so worth keeping up to date.
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think I going to have to find a way down to Anchorage when the shop is open.
  6. Backroader1983

Backroader1983 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed the hybrid tune tonight. My fuel gauge is showing empty with a half tank inside. Hoping that fixes itself.

Update: it fixed itself. The tune is awesome.
    666 and Ronin1 like this.
  7. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry to much about using Tune ECU on a 2016 model as there haven't been any new mapping released by Triumph anyway...

For normal servicing including throttle body adjustment, spanner reset milage and other minor adjustment/check, you can use the free Tiger Tool V2 available HERE

That's what most people with 2015> models do use and it works pretty well. All you need is a $5 ELM327 chipset OBD2 (on fleabay) and you are ready to do your own maintenance...

Finally I keep reading from time to time people still suggesting to update mapping if the Arrows can is used... Most dealers do not use the update mapping any more as all it did, it just increased fuel consumption without any other tangible advantage... Is all documented in several website if you search. The Tiger 800 2015> work perfectly fine with the OEM mapping and the Arrows Can installed...
  8. Quinn Otte

Quinn Otte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still running the FrankenTune (built around the 21065 map, on a 2011 XC ABS with Arrow pipe, 15T sprocket)

Still loving it. Averaging 50+mpg cruising at 70, my small-town riding nets me 45ish mpg. Tons of power for the woods still, no exhaust pops... nothing I'd change about it.
    Ronin1 likes this.
  9. Ronin1

Ronin1 Hoonigan

Oddometer:
    As am I. 2012 Roadie with stock gearing and a Leo Vince carbon can. De-acceleration pops are way less and it still feels smooth. Also about 42/46 around town.
  10. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was attempting to update my bike yesterday to an updated tune with tune ecu. I didn't have any problem connecting, and my cord worked fine.

I got called away during the process, and when I came back everything had timed out, my headlights wouldn't work (blown fuse for sure and now keeps blowing, going to remove the bulbs tonight), attempts to start are met with a click like one would get with a dead battery, except battery shows full charge.

I restarted the process (I think) and it said successful, but of course, the bike still wouldn't start.

The bike was fully charged at the start and on a trickle charger. Everything cycles like normal once the key is turned on, including fuel pump and fan.

I plan to check the starter relay fuse tonight, too, it took a while to figure out it was on the bottom of the relay.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Not sure what may have happened, but it sounds like a fuse blew during the update process. Whether or not this bricked the ECU is yet to be determined.

Make sure you have the battery attached to a charger when next going about this, or disconnect the headlamps.
  12. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to reconnect, but since it won't start, I don't know if it took. I'm hoping for a fuse issue, since I can still connect and all the other related things for start up seem to work. It was attached to a charger, but I will disconnect the headlights by pulling the fuse.

A look at the Service manual shows that the fuse position for the headlights is also for the starter relay, so that may be the answer I need. I had LED lights, but it looks like I probably toasted them, I will try will bulbs unplugged, and if that doesn't blow the fuses, I will replace them with the OEM bulbs

I found this on Triumph Talk:

"I have read of only two or three cases where the starter fuse blew. It was due to someone installing something electrical. The starting circuit is somewhat complex. For example if the headlights (both) do not come on, the bike will not start. If the headlight fuse is blown, the bike will not start. Guys using tune software discovered this when they took the headlight fuse out to save drain on the battery when downloading maps to the ECU. Someone else had the headlight fuse blow. The bike will still run; but if you shut it off, it will not start until the headlight fuse is replaced."
  13. Mhidpa

Mhidpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I was originally looking for a way to turn off the service interval wrench, but I have a 2012XC ABS with a lot of deceleration pop. I'm going to order the cable so I can check/update my tune. Looks like you need two different cables for Tune ECU and Tiger Tune. Can anyone confirm this?
  14. Quinn Otte

Quinn Otte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZKKMLE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is the one I got for use with TuneECU
  15. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a '12 800 roadie ABS with stock exhaust that I finally threw 'TCMB - Tiger 800 ABS - 20767/20769 Hybrid Map - with non-Stock exhaust' on last night. I didn't have any issues with previous tune (20768), but I'm looking for a little more MPG. Think I average around 41ish right now.

I'm noticing a very unsmooth/jerky transition in certain parts of the throttle. I think I've only felt in gears 1-3, but it probably wouldn't be as pronounced in the higher gears. Seems to be happening around steady throttle, or perhaps a slight deceleration around maybe 2200 RPMs - Think riding around a parking lot in first gear. I'm guessing it's jumping to another cell on the fuel map where the transition isn't too smooth.

I also cleared out the ECU adaptions, and did NOT do the 12-20 minute idle adaption procedure. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

I'll probably ride it to work for the rest of the week and see how it does otherwise.

Anyone else experience this?
  16. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you need to do the 20 min idle since this is when the bike trains itself. Give that a shot since others have been running the TCMB tune without issues for some time now.
    XYooper906 likes this.
  17. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I read that routine driving *should* substitute for the long idle adaption routin. I commute on it every day, so I'll see how we're doing towards the end of the week. If not better by then, maybe I'll give the idle a go.
  18. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You do need the idle time to reset everything, I plan to try the hybrid tune, but took small unstable steps to start. I don't think riding is a good substitute due to varying throttle, engine load and speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took everyone's advice and did the 20 minute adaptive routine (or whatever you want to call it). Hopefully not premature or jinxing myself, but no issues on today's morning commute!
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  20. MINEED

MINEED n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! I have a tiger 800XC ABS from 2012, with serial exhaust, my use is roady daily, trips and offroad, I found this blog related with triumph mapping. I think that my bike needs litte more power on low RPM, for offroad, and more MPG on 6000RPM on trips. Do you think that the hybrid Map would help me?? which changes may I do to have more "power" on Idle? just to do not get the engine Stopped on hard trail and use less clutch.

Thank you