Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jeremyjo

jeremyjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put 180 miles of mixed pavement and dirt roads on your tune Saturday. It ran really well in my opinion. The mileage seems much improved under lower speed riding but really falls when faced with a 20 mph headwind at 75mph. I doubt there's much that could be done about that, tuning wise.
    Power seems improved as well.

Both base maps call for 87 (US) octane but I ran 90 just to be safe given the timing bump and leaner mixture. What have you been using?

Thanks for your work, it's made a good difference in the behavior of my bike.

-Jeremy
  2. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's great feedback! Glad you liked it!

I was very cautious in testing that the minor bump in timing in some areas would causing pinging, so that's what caused the holdup in me releasing the tune for others to try. I have tested it extensively using 87 (US) octane (Shell or Exxon gasoline) and did not notice any pinging at any time. In fact, I just went on a 2-up 150 mile trip with a full top box loaded this past weekend with the hybrid tune and it performed like a champ! I reset my dash right after i filled up and recorded 45 mpg overall, with 50/50 cruising and spirited riding. Pretty impressive 2-up!

In regards to the 75mph with a 20mph headwind, that's like dong 95mph on a calm day! I'd bet you're right around (or above) 50% TPS in that scenario and that's where the fuel ratio really begins to drop off in support of more power.

I'd have to do my own testing, but i could try to narrow down that scenario and see if i could squeak some better economy out of it. I'm thinking raising the fuel ratio might hurt performance, though.
  3. onetire

onetire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was about to try this out, then I realized my 800XC does not have ABS. Would that still work on a non-ABS bike?
  4. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not yet certain how the tunes vary between the 4 model configurations. Until someone can chime in or I investigate, I would advise against using these tunes on other than a 800XC ABS.
  5. formulals1

formulals1 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm have a Scorpion slip-on with a boosterplug with good results. The Arrow map was great but sucked too much fuel. I'd still like to reduce the decel popping a bit more with tuneece and have tried to carry over parts of that map to teh stock one to reduce popping. Seems to have helped a little. For for with temps above 75 will cause popping to increase.

I may try the Hybrid map, but may not be a great fit with the boosterplug installed.
  6. theveganporkchop

theveganporkchop n00b

Oddometer:
    I loaded up the hybrid map with my new Two Brothers exhaust. It seems to run pretty good. Only real issue is still the excessive decel popping. It only really seems to be an issue when I'm completely off throttle, even the slightest crack of the throttle and it's won't do it. It's also just under 4500rpm or so. Has that been pretty standard with your Leo Vance with the tune, or is that more unique to my exhaust running the hybrid. I assume the Arrow tune would run richer and have even more decel popping. Anyways, really appreciate the work you put in to the hybrid map.
  7. jeremyjo

jeremyjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed more decel popping with the TCMB's hybrid map, but I haven't paid enough attention to it to narrow it down to a certain RPM range or throttle opening.

I can't say that I noticed any popping with the standard Arrow pipe/map, though.

I have been riding the map for the past couple of months and am still impressed with it. Better fuel mileage and more power, maybe just a bit too touchy on the off/on throttle transition.

I did make one modification to the tune, though. I've put the idle AFR target back to 14.5 so that the o2 sensor will do some compensation for a dirty air filter and any other operational changes at idle. I don't think idle fuel trims get applied to the rest of the map, so I'm not worried about it messing up any of the riding characteristics. I do wonder if the change in AFR target is what's causing my touchy throttle though.

-Jeremy
  8. KurtyBoom

KurtyBoom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to use your 800xc abs hybrid map with an 800 roadie abs?
    Thanks!
  9. formulals1

formulals1 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did run the hybrid map very briefly and seem to work fine w/o any pinging at all. This post really opened my understanding of the Tigers mapping and helped me make more successful map edits (thanks). I really like the Arrow map outside of the MPG issues. Very smooth and sounds the best. It offers the best decel popping fix in my case. So, I decided to lean out the Arrow map in A/F in the cursing ranges mostly. I also made 6th (F3,L3,I3 table vales) gear back to stock mapping. It seems this has worked well to get back to stock like MPG but with most of the arrow function. Tweaking the maps is now fun for me.
    XC92109 likes this.
  10. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    OP~ What are you studying scientifically?
  11. TwoTriples

TwoTriples admitted bike addict

Oddometer:
    I am going to give your hybrid tune a test drive this weekend. I have had great success with my Speed Triple and tuning and hope to see the same results with this 800xc as well. I will be repeating a route that I did 2 weeks ago, 569 miles in one day and should have a good comparison.
  12. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i need a little help with Tuneecu hook up if you can help. I purchased dealer tool and got the cable that came with it. it works as advertised. I was wondering if any of you have both software and use the same cable. mine just gives me a cannot connect window try cycle key on off and check cable. Com port shows up and lets me chose it. but won't connect with bike. thanks
    Tim
  13. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ha, finally answered my own question. I ordered a cable.... was wanting to get rid of popping on decal with LeoVince pipe. I am interested in the hybrid map and may be giving it a try soon.
  14. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    So the Dealer Tool cable does not work with Tune ECU?
  15. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OH, sorry... the answer is no. it does not work. I tried several PCs and it has the wrong type of chipset. Also I emailed tuneEcu and he replied and confirmed my problem. "no you cannot use Dealer Tool cable with Tune Ecu" So I ordered a cable and will wait and listen to my decal pop for a while. :)
  16. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I guess if I ever decide to try Tune ECU, I'll have to buy the right cable for it. More stuff to keep track of. :puke1
  17. TwoTriples

Oddometer:
    Just did a quick test with new tires and the hybrid tune, initial impressions are very favorable. Throttle response, engine growl are great, decal popping is less than or equal to the stock mapping. The interesting part was part throttle, sub 6k rpm fuel economy read out was excellent in the mid 50-low 60mpg range. My long test over the weekend will give more information as I will be solo, aggressive tread tires, hard panniers and gear for a weekend. I averaged 42mpg on the stock tune and Scorpion Trails a few weeks ago. Have a great ride everybody.
  18. PirateDunk

PirateDunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds like fantastic work!
    Has anyone been able to transfer the map settings to an 800xc non abs yet? I would do it myself but I'm currently on the road in Mexico and it's risky enough using my phone to upload maps without messing around with settings. I have an arrow exhaust and map with a safari fuel tank and usually cruise about 80kph, and get a fuel range of about 550km with a 15t front sprocket. Would be nice to get more.
  19. BKC

BKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had Triumph of Seattle do the Arrow remap for my Arrow can. I had about 200 miles on the can without the remap. Having put 100 miles on the remap, I don't really notice much change in performance. The sound wasn't a whole lot different either. Judging from the MPG readout, looks like 2-3 mpg less.

If I had paid for this exhaust, I'd be unhappy. But, since it was free (free remap too), I'll just enjoy the minute sound/performance improvement and hope the MPG doesn't suffer too much.
  20. TwoTriples

Oddometer:
    4.5 hours on high speed dirt, two lane and interstate yesterday showed s few things to me about this mapping. The gauges are now less accurate than before reading mpg,I need to rely on math again to see the actual mpg for the tank. There is a percieved vibration now under 6k rpm when I load the motor to drive out of corners. This may be all the changes I made and I will compare to the stock tune just to make sure. Reserve light came on at 157 miles which is an improvement. This was just two lane and high speed dirt and the riding was more efficient than hard canyon charging.