Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the Arrow map this morning... when I was done I hit the starter and nothing. I nearly died.
    I had pulled the headlight fuse so battery would not go dead. I reinstalled fuse and it started right up.
    so after the small heart attack. bike seems better. way less decel pop but only on a short ride. and fuel gauge seemed to have lost about 10mpg... we will see. so Hybrid map next. after I get over my initial heart skip this morning. I wish there was a really good how to video of the process. I found one for older tiger... it included a TPS reset process which wasn't available on my bike. but it looked like it went through that process with out telling it to. maybe a different (newer) software version?
  2. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you guys are awesome. I'm sorry that I have been away for a while. I actually just moved to San Diego! Luckily, I convinced my company to ship my bike out here so now I get to explore California!!!:clap

Some great feedback so far... it seems overall positive. After putting about 2000 miles on my latest hybrid map, I will say that while the tune is an improvement over the stock and arrow maps, there are definitely some refinements that need to be made.

A couple of key points that a few of you have also noticed about my Hybrid Smoothed tune:

1. The motor definitely runs warmer than the stock and arrow maps. This is a product of the lean cruising AFR's. I notice that the fan comes on in traffic more often than usual (which might actually be hurting fuel economy). Perhaps I may ramp up the AFR's from 2000 to 6000rpms instead of setting it very lean across the board.
    2. Throttle response is definitely improved.
    3. Overall fuel economy has improved by about 10-15% in my case.
    4. Decel popping has increased. This, I believe, is a result of leaner afr's and a hotter exhaust. After doing some research, it seems that popping is actually "normal" for more fuel efficient tune, however not desired for some riders. I'm going to attempt to address the decal fueling to account for this.
    5. One of you mentioned a slight vibration at around 5500-6000 rpms. I, too, notice this. I want to jump immediately back to the stock tune to see if it goes away, and if it does then I will make adjustments in this area to eliminate the vibration.
    6. Off idle performance seems a bit sluggish. I think I can make some improvements in that area.

For all of you who have a bike other than the 800xc abs, i'm going to work on a tune for you guys as well. The performance should be the same across configurations so we will be able to get more feedback.
  3. MTNRides

MTNRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello there! I ran into an issue today. I just had my 2012 Tiger 800 XC go through its 6k tuneup. It currently has a Leo Vince slip on and has previously had the Arrow map installed. The shop installed the newest Arrow map when they did the tuneup but now has a power lull or bogging feel low in the powerband. It felt like it was sputtering at low throttle. I road back to the shop and they installed the factory map and it fixed the bogging but the loud popping started during de- exceleration . Has anyone encountered an issue at the low end of the powerband with the newest Arrow map? I may just upload your custom map and see if that fixes anything.
  4. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is there a newer Map than the standard Arrow Map than 20767? I installed mine yesterday ... works well. runs cooler. Gas per mile went up. My actual temp gauge is now running one bar lower. I did not expect that. I want to try the Hybrid map but don't want to run lean and hotter
  5. MTNRides

MTNRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turns out they installed the Japanese Arrow map and not the American 20767. They switched the map and it works perfect now. Weird...
    Timalan likes this.
  6. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    Two things to add...

1. Ive incorrectly defined the difference between the 1,2,3 maps. I thought the Daytona shared the same gear ranges across the 1,2,3 maps, but I was wrong. The F1/I1/L1 maps cover gears 1-2. The F/I/L2 maps only handle gear 3. The F/I/L3 maps cover gears 4-6. Im not quite sure why triumph singled out 3rd gear with a separate map, but thats the case.

2. I finally had a chance today to do some A-B-A fuel economy runs at 65mph and compare my hybrid map to the others. Here are the results

Stock tune: 53.6mpg
    Arrow tune: 47.0mpg (-12% vs stock)
    TCMB hybrid tune: 54.1mpg (+1% over stock)

The arrow map really chugs fuel when its not necessary. The hybrid tune has the same (if not better) performance as the arrow tune with fuel economy a little better than the stock tune.
  7. BKC

BKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the Arrow tune done last week for my Arrow exhaust. This last tank of mixed riding was the first time I tracked MPG. Fuel light came on at 137.7 miles and the average MPG for the trip till that point was 38.1.

Um...less than ideal.
  8. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    So, admittedly I made a mistake in my previous fuel economy runs. I actually reported the average mph instead of mpg!! :roflA product of riding without my glasses on, I guess!

So I did another set of runs and recorded the actual mpg runs this time. You can see the values above in my previous post.
  9. RZStrom

RZStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    on my 2014xc I installed a Leo Vince Nero slip on at 600 miles , it popped on decel. Then the first service at 800 miles the dealer updated to arrow map. The popping stopped . Over all running is smooth and it seems to pull harder above 5000 rpms. The fuel economy before was 54 to 55 mpg at hiway speeds, and with the update it is 51 to 53 mpg. Nice sound and looks good.
  10. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the AF target on your hybrid maps
  11. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    The target right now is set at 14.7. I'm currently experimenting with 15.3 AFR's at cruising speeds and throttle position.
  12. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    The decel popping is normal, albeit annoying. It occurs because the AFR is too lean. The way to mask it is to add more fuel in the appropriate cells during closed throttle engine deceleration. A little can be done with the ignition mapping to also hinder it. Also, blipping the throttle while downshifting (aka: Rev matching) seems to onset the popping. I suspect this is because the ecu thinks you are about to accelerate.

I'm currently experimenting with tweaking my latest hybrid tune to quiet it down a bit.
  13. BKC

BKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just filled up and the math showed 39.47 which isn't all that bad given the riding type, i.e., 1/2 city-1/2 highway.
  14. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS

Oddometer:
    :superI must be the only guy who likes the decel popping! Music to my ears! Reminds me of 60's muscle cars, round engine WW2 aircraft and..HORSEPOWA!
  15. Bushyar15

Bushyar15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So back in the day, the 80s, lots of popping on decel meant you were running too lean and if left too long you could burn your valves. Today with the computers, open and closed loops; pops on decel doesn't mean anything? Its not the harbinger of burnt valves?
  16. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS

Oddometer:
    I had several cars that popped on decel and at night it lit up the sky. I find it hard to believe it is a lean condition considering it is raw fuel igniting in the exhaust system? The exhaust on my tiger is awfully black and sooty making me think it runs a bit rich, I am considering uploading the hybrid to reduce the rich arrow tune a bit but was afraid I would lose the popping. I dunno
  17. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    The popping happens because the mixture is too lean and the exhaust is too hot and the fuel ignites in the exhaust. The currently released hybrid tune still has quite a bit of decel pop.

I'm currently working on modifying the hybrid map to quiet down the decel popping. So far i have added a bunch of fuel at 0%tps between 2000-6500rpms as well as bumped the timing about 5+/- degrees. There is a noticeable decrease in deceleration popping as a result.
  18. Bushyar15

Bushyar15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    Decel popping can occur with a perfectly tuned, 100% healthy engine/exhaust. Some people just find it annoying. There are ways to quiet it down with tuning, but it comes at the expense of fuel economy since you are pumping excess fuel in attempt to cool the exhaust down.
  20. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS

Oddometer:
    I see, thanks for the explanation! I still think it sounds badass :ricky