Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. formulals1

formulals1 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing out the latest findings on 1,2,3 map relation to gears. Also looking fwd to hearing more about the updated hybrid map. I'd be happy with a less fuel hogging arrow map. I'm in the no decel popping camp and mainly seeking that with edited maps.

Side note: I just popped on a 17t counter sprocket that is known to increase fuel economy as well. On a quick test ride I liked the wider gearing.
  2. jeremyjo

jeremyjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I don't get about decel popping is that on most any modern car, the ECU will actually zero the fuel input on trailing throttle. Coasting in gear to a stop sign or slowing down with your foot off the gas? Zero fuel use. It can be confirmed with an OBD monitor that shows injector pulse width; it'll go to zero until the torque converter unlocks or the clutch is released. I can't help but wonder what kind of transient fueling setup they use to not have a jerky off-on throttle transition and why motorcycle mfgs haven't adopted that system yet. Looks like the acronym for it is DFCO for Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

TCMB, have you tried going the other way with 0% TPS fueling- setting it to zero above 2000 RPM or so? My riding time has been drastically cut recently, or I'd have tried it already. I think you'd only need to change the L map since we're only talking about TPS positions below the default crossover of 4%.

Burning fuel any place outside the combustion chamber is wasted fuel and/or wasted power, no matter how cool it may sound. With EFI, we have the technology to make sure no fuel gets through the engine without being turned into power first! :D
  3. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I ran the arrow map for two tanks. One tank I was down to 41 mpg the next tank I was down to 39. So I installed the hybrid this after noon and I'll run a couple tanks and see what I think. I downloaded it a little while back so not sure if it's the latest version. Giving it a try!
  4. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread is interesting, but for me and I expect many others, too confusing for me. I need education!
    I need acronym 101 to be able to understand the graphs.
    I need " how do I modify my tune" .

I have ordered the Dealer Tool, but it has not arrived as yet. I am in awe of the knowledge displayed by Theycallmebrian. (TCMB=acronym)
    I have a 800XCx which is my first EFI bike, so my skill set with carburettor is no longer useful.

My next step I guess if I want to go down this road of fiddling with the tune is to buy Tune ECU ?? Advice please.
  5. Timalan

Timalan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My popping is back but from home to work this morning, Which is two miles marked with stop signs another mile with a light, which I hit green, 6 miles, no stops, of 50 mph country road and 10 miles of US 75 into Tulsa (75mph) I averaged about 54 mpg. The hybrid map actually seemed smoother running and temp didn't seem too high but moving down the highway, so.... Oh yeah, into 15 mph headwind this morning
  6. formulals1

Oddometer:
    I just got some desirable results with modifying the Arrow Map to be leaner via Trim and left other values alone. I Leaned the F Trim table -8 through a large portion of the table. Also advanced I Trim 0.6 through a large portion of the table. Decel popping seems to even be less now than stock Arrow map (almost too silent). Fuel consumption seem to be less on a test ride. Motor and exhaust note sounds great. Very nice power around 4k rpm where I seek it most.

I'm sure I'll adjust these a bit more to see if more gains can be made. I could run this map as-is and be very happy. Far better than stock map w/o a doubt.

Bike Spec's:
    '13 Tiger 800 XC ABS
    Scorpion serket taper slip-on baffle in
    Stock air filter
    17t front sprocket
  7. xlxBigDxlx

xlxBigDxlx n00b

Oddometer:
    Took a ride to julian Sunday with my father, we both had the hybrid map on our bikes (2014 xc mine, 2013 xc his). I was doubled up with my gf and I got 49 mpg going 45-80 mph. My father got 49mpg also (he doesn't lube his chain at all), but everything ran well it was 85-90 no pinging didn't get to hot.
  8. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in loading your hybrid map for an upcoming trip to The Dragon Raid next week. I'm currently running the Arrow tune with the LV slip-on. Any updates on your current tweaks?
  9. MATTHEW MCCARTHY

MATTHEW MCCARTHY n00b

Oddometer:
    question to see if others have experienced this same concern. i just took off my two brothers slip on and switch back to stock tune. pipe was too loud for the
    riding i do. so i installed the 20769 map on my 12xc abs. once it finished i started the bike and now its not showing my fuel level? any thoughts on this would be great, side note i was 2 bars from full before the update.

thanks in advance

Matt
  10. formulals1

Oddometer:
    I've had the same odd fuel level reading issue too. Mine has corrected over time. Give it a few miles of riding to correct itself.
  11. MATTHEW MCCARTHY

MATTHEW MCCARTHY n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll give that a try after I get it back together. Thanks for the fast reply
  12. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    I'm going to give the lean mapping a trial on my 2012 800 ABS. It's getting cold up here so I'm not to worried about running hot, if I notice anything odd or excellent I'll make a note of it. I figure with 53k km on it it's time I start trying some new tunes.
  13. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    Welp that was quick. Fuel Injection doesn't even come on with the lean tune installed. Going back to the 68 tune brings it back up and running immediately. I'll tinker some more with it later.
  14. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    OK, since I had poor risk assessment I gave it one more try. Engine light simply flashes and nothing comes on. Flashing back to the 68 tune and things are fine.

So I can say with confidence this doesn't work with the 800 non XC. Just FYI.
  15. KurtyBoom

KurtyBoom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 Tiger 800 roadie with Yoshimura and K&N. Had my dealer put the arrow map in and works good except for fuel. My mechanic said the Hybrid map that was developed by Bryan should work fine on either the xc or roadie.
    Thoughts Hawkbox?
  16. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:

Something to do with being a Canadian model? :dunnoI wouldn't think there would be a different tune between XC and Roadie.
    hamdex likes this.
  17. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    Honestly I wouldn't think so either, the difference however is stark and noticeable. I reloaded the 68 map on the first page of the topic for testing too. I half expect it's been programmed to look for specific things to each bike?

Maybe because it's a Canuckistani bike but that seems like a lot of work to go through. My exhaust is stock however. No exhaust mods at all.
  18. stellablues

stellablues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates on a refined version of the hybrid map? I am thinking about getting a LV pipe ,but only if there is a nice map tested out there. cheers
  19. LaurensT

LaurensT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read this thread now for a couple of times, and learnt a lot. I've got a few questions now:

- I've read that decatting the exhaust will make it more fuel efficient, and less heat. Is this true?
    - Will uploading the hybrid map make fuel efficiency even better?
    - How do I upload this myself? Can it only be done with the dealer tool?
  20. LaurensT

LaurensT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've found answers to the second and third question, but I am still interested in opinions/experiences with decatting the Tiger.