Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. onetire

onetire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. seifer

seifer n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a tiger 800 roadster, can i test the hybrid map???

Any update bryan atm???
  3. XC92109

XC92109 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious if anyone has a modified Arrow map for mpg. Im about to start doing some experimenting but would like to hear some feedback on what worked the best.
  4. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to loading the hybrid map tonight. I have Leo Vince can and I have been running the Arrow map 20767 for over a year. I really like that map, but I have been curious about this hybrid map since I first read about it.

Curious, though. When I loaded the hybrid map, it shows up as 20769 in the left screen of TuneECU, even though I downloaded and installed the hybrid map. When it was loading, it showed on the bottom of the screen that I was loading the hybrid map, but after a successful install, the 20769 map shows up as loaded. Is this normal for it to show up that way?

Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks!
  5. BigMan73

BigMan73 Binary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No XCx tuning maps are available?
  6. XC92109

XC92109 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I can't say I have noticed that on mine. I will check next time I load a new map. Keep in mind the hybrid map is even leaner in areas than the stock map which is not good for power on a bike with a slip on. I looked at some of the variables and a huge block was leaned out. My bike had zero low end with this map.

XYooper906 likes this.
  7. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I thought the ECU was locked on the '15 and '16 models. :dunno
  8. BigMan73

Oddometer:
    I really don't know. That's why I asked.
    Any references to where it says the ECU is locked?
    I noticed that TuneECU doesn't support the XCx, but that could also be for lack of development time (I.e., they didn't catch up yet with new models)
    I just sent an email to Alain (from TuneECU), let's see how he replies.
  9. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I may be wrong but I thought I read in a thread that the newer Tigers had the ECU locked. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it due to owning a '14.
  10. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to Pat at 2 Wheel DynoWorks, who were recommended to me from co-workers.

Pat confirmed that 2015+ Triumph (Tiger) ECU are locked down. Power Commander V, is the recommended alternative.
    I thought I read the locked down ECU are coming from EU Emission laws. Which would be somewhat understandable given all the workarounds that are available for Cars, MC, etcs.
    I would also assume the latest VW ECU BooBoo is having a role in this legislation.

Rick
  11. BigMan73

Oddometer:
    So annoying.
    I wish there was an open source ECU to replace that locked down ECU.

Regd Power Commander V - it basically hijacks the ECU commands by sending signals to the different engine components?
    It is not an ideal solution, more of a workaround.
  12. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. At least on the HDs the PC can fail leaving the bike DOA. However, on the HDs the PC tend to be plug and play under the seat of many models or on the side of touring models so its a 5 minutes fix to replace your stock ECU, that you know to carry.

I have a 2010 GW with an Airbag. It takes all day to install or swap out the PC on a Wing. So a smart re-flash is the only way to go as the OEM ECUs rarely fail.

Rick
  13. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My initial impressions with the hybrid map are positive. I didn't notice any flat spots in the throttle. I haven't yet tracked the cruising fuel mileage. I did a 150 mile ride with some light offroading, and a spirited ride on the Cherohala Skyway. It definitely causes the decel popping to return, but to tell you the truth it didn't bother me before I loaded the Arrow tune. To me, the popping just sounds better with the LV than it did when I had the stock pipe on it. As someone else described it, the stock pipe sounds like a lid on a clay pot when popping. :-)
  14. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I'm back. Check out the updated first post. I decided to copy the ignition, air/fuel, and idle maps from my 800xc abs hybrid map over to the other configurations so that the rest of you can try it out. Let me know what you think!
  15. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Yoshi RS4. I will give the hybrid map a try when I get the chance. I want the extra power of the Arrow tune but not the hard fuel mpg hit, so I'm willing to give the hybrid a try.

Did you ever figure out any heat reduction smoothing or many any significant changes to the hybrid lately?
  16. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    So my 800 ABS has stock exhaust but I'm willing to try the updated mapping, is there anything I should be concerned about with the Arrow/Stock difference?
  17. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    Can anyone give me some pointers on uploading these custom maps?

I have Tuneecu on my laptop, the cable functions perfect. I can access the files on Tuneecu's website and folder I saved to my desktop. I successfully flashed the Arrow tune over to my bike.

I downloaded the hybrid map on the first page, but when I go into Tuneecu and look for it, the map does not show up on my desktop, or the folder I put it in. Like it does not recognize it. I even tied to drag the folder to the Tuneecu icon. Tuneecu opens up, but it appears it just opens to the last tune I had loaded. I cant seem to figure out how to make it load the hybrid map he made.

I'm sure I am doing something silly and dumb to not get this.
  18. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    LordZed, the files are contained inside a .ZIP file. Its a compressed package file. You need to open that .ZIP file and extract the map file inside to somewhere on your computer.
  19. theycallmeebryan

Oddometer:
    While i haven't personally tried the hybrid map with the stock exhaust, you should be fine. Make sure you download the map for the 800ABS, and let me know how it works out for you.
  20. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    I loaded it up last week and it fired up without issue unlike my previous attempts, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet as I was out of town for the weekend.

I'll take it for a ride tonight or tomorrow and see how it feels.