Tiger 800 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by theycallmeebryan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    That worked :)
  2. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    To update, the Hybrid tune worked fine on my 2012 ABS Roadie. I'm not sure I notice any difference that isn't psychosomatic but it seems to pull more consistently than before.
  3. LordZed

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try the Arrow tune for at least two or three tanks of gas, record the MPG data, as well as the highly accurate butt dyno data. The load the hybrid to compare both MPG cruising and WOT butt dyno thrills.
  4. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool! Good luck! Let me know how it works out for you.
  5. theycallmeebryan

theycallmeebryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback on the roadie ABS. Glad it worked out!
  6. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer:
    My current read is that after a week in the mountains with 2 1000km days at the start and end it works fine. Whether I get any real benefit or not is honestly beyond me but it certainly got me up and down the fire roads without incident. Nice work.
  7. LordZed

Oddometer:
    So I have encountered something with the Arrow tune and RS4 exhaust that I do not believe was present with the stock tune and stock exhaust.

When riding and opening the throttle just off closed, the bike feels like it is having strange fueling issues. A bobble choppy sound and feel. This is really annoying as it is right at that throttle opening for cruising around a sweeping turn, or light throttle in cruising 40-60 range.

I reset the adaptation, and also tried the 12 minuet tune, but it still is doing this.

I can throttle past it, but then of course I accelerate quicker than I want. Mid and full throttle fueling is also spot on. It is just when you slighhhtllyyy crack open the throttle it is doing this.
  8. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Load the standard tune. Arrow tune not needed with the rs4. Sure it's not strictly needed with the arrow exhaust
  9. LordZed

Oddometer:
    Maybe I will just jump to the hybrid tune that uses the standard tune for below 50% throttle.

I was more curious if anyone had had this issue, or if it was just me.
  10. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure from your description as we all tend to describe differently but when my local dealer loaded the arrow tune because I had fitted a Scorpion exhaust the Tiger ran like Shite. Fortunately when I got home I was able to load the "correct" standard tune with TuneECU - Something you can no longer do because of the locked down ecu
  11. wazzashortcut

wazzashortcut n00b

Oddometer:
    My tiger had a flat battery, after recharge and reconnect it, won't fire. When I had the new tune done for the high flow air cleaner and arrow exhaust the bike shop told me if the battery went flat or was disconnected the tune would be lost and the bike wouldn't go. Surely that can't be true .
  12. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    No, if that was true, you'd lose the stock tune in the same situation.
  13. wazzashortcut

wazzashortcut n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks bluestar, thats what I thought. So now i need to work out why it won't fire .
  14. LordZed

Oddometer:
    Switched to the hybrid map.MPG is back to stock level, but as mentioned the popping does return on off throttle decel.

I am still having this choppy fueling issue on slight throttle though :( I am really hoping it isnt the exhaust. My next step is to install the factory exhaust and see if it goes away.
  15. LordZed

Oddometer:
    stock exhaust fixed the problem. Guess the RS4 doest like my bike :/
  16. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks. I just ordered one based on the fact that it worked with the stock tune and had reasonable sound. :(
  17. LordZed

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is a usual thing really. Every bike is different and by no means does it mean that yours will not jive with the exhaust. My bike apparently just prefers more back pressure at that throttle opening (shrugs) It could probably be professionally tuned out, but I don't have the coin for that right now. You will enjoy the exhaust and probably have zero problems.
  18. waz0wski

waz0wski Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2013 800XC ABS w/ Leo Vince Evo exhaust, and tried out the hybrid 67/69 map on a trip over the weekend in 5k-10kft elevations.

No issues, bit less decel popping/engine braking and bit of a difference above 6k rpms in power delivery.
    Going on a longer trip in a few weeks, will try it out again and report back.
  19. RJVieira

RJVieira n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll give it a try to the hybrid map in my roadie version and after I'll let you know if I can notice a difference.

I don't know if all of you notice, but there's a new OEM map for both bikes... don't know the difference from the older because I haven't tried. Anyone tried?
    Here's the link: http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html
  20. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    No new tune for pre 2014 since October 2012 - for my non abs that's 20654

Edit: Reading tuneecu table incorrectly. This is wrong.