1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 800 Windshields

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by TAMPAJIM, May 12, 2011.

1. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:

Sort of. It’s actually Apple cider beer with a shot of Fireball in it. I like it cold cold. :beer
  2. Joezeph

Joezeph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take it you like a drinky then??????

When we were younger there's a drinking hole in the UK called Yates's Wine Lodge & we used to have a "dock" (large double white Aussie wine that was more like sherry) mixed in with a hard cider just to "get us going" for the night when me n the guys were out on the razz!!!
  3. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    is that ice in beer??:hmmmmm

EDIT* I just saw your reply.
  4. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are those Madstad winglets made by Madstad or are they custom mods. If so are they available from Madstad?
  5. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, no and yes. :)
    maxattack likes this.
  6. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The winglets mount to the Mad Stad mount and are made by Mad Stad. You can probably buy them but will need to make a mount for them.
  7. rostello

rostello n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, here's my 18" clear Explorer Slim Madstad with rear support kit. I am 6'01 with a 33 inch inseam.
    I live in Belgium, Europe and it cost me about € 450, - ($ 530, -) and a lot of time to get this screen to my place but it's worth the effort.
    I've a severe form of tinnitus and this wind screen really makes the difference between driving and no longer driving, I'm so happy with it.

IMG_20170901_141641.JPG
    IMG_20170901_141626.JPG
    Black Rhino likes this.
  8. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a fellow tinnitus sufferer, I'm glad you found something that works. You've got your priorities right. Compared to further hearing damage, the cost is nothing.
    Black Rhino likes this.
  9. stoik

stoik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Raconnol, would you mind telling me the exact measurements of your customed made screen? I currently have the 22 inch, but still get plenty of buffeting coming from the lower sides hitting my shoulders and upper chest, even if the winglets are there. I wonder if a custom one like yours would work better for me as well (would lower it to 20 inches but make it wider at the bottom).
  10. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I will measure it tonight when I get home from work.

Thinking about this, I believe I also need to include measurement from the holes drilled in the windscreen for a common point of reference.
    Just the hight and width will not clearly illustrate that the windscreen is lower and runs longer below the holes as well is winder.

What I can tell you right now is that my Madstat is too wide for stock handlebars with OEM handguards.
    I have installed 2" Rox risers on a Pro Taper Contour Handlebar which has more sweep backwards then stock.

So with the Contour, Risers and Barkbusters installed the Barkbusters almost touch the Mastad at full lock.

That will give you an idea of how much wider my Madstad is over yours.

Rick
  11. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, @stoik here are some pictures with the measurements that should help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. stoik

stoik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Raconnol! I do have the stock handlebar and handguards and I have the 2 inch Rox risers plus the 1 inch SW-Motech risers. Will need to take this into account. I am 6'4" and 210 pounds and have had a hard time finding a good shield. The Madstad is almost perfect, but I wish now I made it more custom, as yours. I just did not know how persistent the side turbulence is...even with the winglets. I think the shape of the Tiger's tank is made to just kick air straigh into your chest...
  13. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For anyone considering the Madstad, it's awesome, but a tip:

Don't discount the amount of adjustments they screen has built into it, and how much you may need to play with that adjustment to get the perfect fit for you. I assumed higher was better, but after some fiddling figured out that i actually needed to lower it for Interstate use. At higher speeds (75+) i was getting some pretty bad buffeting. Enough that it was somewhat painful at times. I decided to dedicate a day of riding to just figuring that out, get on the Interstate, ride for a bit, get off, adjust, rinse and repeat.

What i found out was that a pretty steep angle but much lower locking point was better for me than the higher point i had it at. I would assume that your helmet selection plays a large role in this. (I have a GT Air)

Moral of the story: There's a reason the Madstad has so much adjustability built into it and why a standard windscreen sucks for a lot of people.
    Raconnol and Trapshooter like this.
  14. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 to LS comments, as Ludicrous, as he may sound, dialling in the Madstad takes some practice. :)

Having said that, once you are ready to for a custom order, the used Madstad tend to sell quickly... however, my goal is to have two.
    Along with my big highspeed shield, I would like another smaller and trimmer one for off the road and the Mexico heat.

So rather than selling the OEM shield, you may want to look at trimming it down as a second shield for the more adventuresome rides :)

Rick
  15. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search for part number A9708218 at Bikebandit or Hermy's Triumph. It's listed as the angle adjuster kit.
  16. Hyatt

Hyatt n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the factory tall adjustable windshield on my bike and as I was riding on the freeway the other day, the plastic pivot pins at the front snapped on me.

While it seems unlikely, is there a metal replacement version of T2307830 or is this not a common problem?

Thanks!
  17. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What tint gradient is your Madstad? I'm picking up my 2016 XCX in April and like that tint. Thx
  18. maxattack

Oddometer:
    Along the same lines as Roconnol, I too took my OEM regular windscreen and cut it down to create a off road and hot weather screen. If I attach my MRA X-Screen to the cut down screen, it works fairly well on the freeway.
  19. maxattack

Oddometer:
    51908506361__28AED16F-9E0F-4C25-8557-30F3D2412664.JPG IMG_0598.JPG
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  20. maxattack

Oddometer:
    The MRA unbolts easily and swaps back and forth onto my OEM touring screen, which solves all the buffeting and road noise for highway riding.