1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 800 Windshields

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by TAMPAJIM, May 12, 2011.

1. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_0331.JPG
    Without the MRA X-Screen.
    bbodense likes this.
  2. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a dark smoked version of one of these $20 ebay deflectors on my FZ09/MRA touring shield. I might spend $20 before $200 and see if it works. And, does anyone know if the CalSci unit fits the current XC bikes?
    s-l1600.jpg

Reply from CalSci:

Hello Jeff,
    Yes, the Tiger 800 fits the newer years, and it does have adjustable rake.

Sincerely,
    Steven
  3. Moosehead84

Moosehead84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the 18 Tiger in the flesh?

The new screen, will it retro fit to the older Tigers? I’ve seen the Triumph spare parts fiche and it looks like it may.....
    maxattack likes this.
  4. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    is the xc(x) screen not adjustable like the xrx is?
  5. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The XCX does not have an adjustable windshield from the factory.​
  6. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Touratech adventure windscreen for the Tiger?
    [​IMG]
  7. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone tall has experience with the high OEM adjustable windscreen? Would really appreciate your thoughts. I have a Madstad and as functional as it is, I cannot stand the look of it on my Tiger. I initially switched from the low OEM windscreen, thinking about trying out the high one...
    maxattack likes this.
  8. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    All posts I’ve read said the oem tall was terrible. Madstad works better than most others. It worked great on my XCX. I now have an F700GS and have the MRA Vario Touring screen which works great. If you can’t take the looks of either one, try no screen at all. If it’s quiet air, you could trim your oem screen down an inch at a time to shoot for that same clean air with adequate protection for the instruments.
  9. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Try nailing an MRA Explorer screen to the Madstad brackets.
    https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Tr...ble_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html#aCOL58227

Looks better and works just as well.
  10. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. baronMD

baronMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maxattack, have you or anyone else tried putting the MRA on an uncut OEM screen and gotten good results?
  12. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock 2018 XCX has a new adjustable wind screen and two additional wind deflectors to the sides. I cannot compare it with older models, but it does seem quite nice to me (and I'm used to a full faired BMW with huge Cee Bailey shield).

I don't see how it possibly could. The screen bolts to and slides upon an adjustment assembly, plus the dash is different, and there's a shelf, and they are all bolted together.

Maybe you could get a windshield assembly or some combination of front assemblies that would eventually bolt on if you got deep enough, but I'm not familiar enough with earlier models to know.
  13. baronMD

baronMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks.
    After reading through many pages, the 20" Madstad explorer seems the better choice over the MRA varioscreen.
    I'm 6'4'' on a 2016 tiger 800 XRt.
    Grateful for thoughts and comments.
    Cheers
  14. Red_Label

Red_Label Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Madstad for my 2015 XCx just showed up today. Will be bolting on tonight. Don't love the looks of it in web pics, but I came from an FJR1300 will electronically adjustable V-stream. So I'll welcome some respite from 80mph highway buffet. I could do 120+ on that bike in relative silence with no buffet. 80-85 is all I ever care to do on my Tiger, but some wind and rain protection would be nice. I suffer severe headaches at times and wind buffet on the Tiger doesn't help. I had to ride 7 hours to get home (family emergency) on the interstate one day with a very strong, gusty headwind and severe headache. That was a very long day.
  15. Red_Label

Red_Label Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the Madstad put on last night. Instructions could have been better, but I mucked through them. Forgot to tighten the two bolts that hold the bottom bracket and stabilize the instrument cluster. One fell out on the quick ride I took (before the drenching rainstorm hit). So I was poking around trying to see if I had another bolt that would work and low and behold, the missing screw was lodged down in my steering assembly. Dunno how it stayed put through the wind and vibrations of riding.

The windshield looks better than I thought it would. I wouldn't say that it's sexy, but I'll get used to it and I'm sure that the protection will be well worth the price. Unfortunately, because of that approaching storm... I wasn't able to get it far enough out on the highway to get up to real speeds (above 55). But I should have some time for that later today on the way home from work. All-in-all... I like the screen so far and the protection factor has to been a hundred times that of the small, lame stock screen that came on the bike when I bought it used. The adjustability of the 'Stad will be nice.
  16. baronMD

baronMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Red_Label,
    Look forward to more reports.
  17. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    I ordered an Explorer "slim" custom windshield from them a few years ago, and thought the cut looked a lot better than their stock options.

00K0K_pgZQM0lEyL_600x450.jpg

00L0L_fIbnqqq8svM_600x450.jpg

Mastad Explorer Slim 062218.jpg
  18. baronMD

baronMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The look is good. When the shield is in place to block the noise, does it get extra warm on the bike because there is no wind to cool you off?
  19. CarlS

CarlS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The heat is the reason I have the Triumph windscreen on mine. I need all the wind I can get in the summer heat and humidity.
  20. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Update: .Madstad doesn't make the windshield in the drawing as a standard item, but does still make the one in my photos. The one in my photos has flat edges on the sides.

Heat: .The tiger does put off significant heat at low speed, during stop and go riding. The Mastad is nice, because you can always adjust the height and angle. That being said, if it is too hot, I'd suggest getting a "summer" (small) windscreen to swap out with the big one in hot weather.