1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 800 Windshields

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by TAMPAJIM, May 12, 2011.

1. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baron,

I also run the MRA on my Triumph OEM touring windscreen and that does a pretty good job of leaving a quiet bubble of air. It' just a bit bouncy and top heavy when I take it off road. If the off road riding I will be doing is less than 200 miles away, I switch to the shorty windshield.
  2. maxattack

Oddometer:
    I also hate the look of the Madstad windshields. I run the OEM touring windscreen in the fully forward and highest position and then add an MRA touring spoiler on top with an almost vertical kick to it. It works pretty well. It's just a tad tall and bouncy off road.
  3. maxattack

Oddometer:
  4. CarlS

CarlS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was my original plan. However, I got lazy and use the Triumph screen year round. Since our winters are not bad, it works out well.
  5. baronMD

baronMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. Do you think it'd work for the OEM non-touring wind screen?
  6. Red_Label

Red_Label Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the Tiger out on a 300 mile ride over Wyoming's Bighorn Mtns on Monday. The Madstad was awesome. So much wind protection, and only a bug or two on my helmet faceshield. The Stad was covered in bugs. Very impressed! It was nearing 90F in the plains on the way home though and I felt near heat stroke the last 40 miles. Should have lowered the screen for that section. Was feeling light-headed and nauseated the last 20 mi. Had to ride with my modular helmet open. Pulled onto the shoulder of the interstate a prepared for a quick puke stop a time or two. Made it home without losing it, but it was rough. I was even wearing my Klim Induction mesh jacket and Cortech mesh pants. Damn glad I didn't put on my Klim Badlands/Adventure Rally or Traverse suits when I left that morning! Anyways, I am impressed with the Stad and its looks don't bother me anymore. It does its job very well.
  7. maxattack

Oddometer:
    I think it would depend on your height. I am 5'10" and I don't think the standard screen would work well for me with the MRA.
  8. Red_Label

Red_Label Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang... those are some knobbies you have there. I get so used to the look of the Shinko 705s that I forget what real dirt tires look like. I will say that the 705s are awesome at allowing me to drag pegs in the paved twisties like I used to do on my FJR and Ninja. I was leaning hard coming fast down the Bighorn Mountains on Monday and felt just like I was on a sport bike.
  9. baronMD

baronMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today while riding, I took the stock windscreen off. WOW! what a difference. The noise from wind turbulence was virtually gone. Other than rain protection, I see no need to use the stock screen. Would I like a good screen that blocked some of the wind and rain with out the noise, absolutely, but I don't know what that is. I can't afford to spend hundreds, trying to find the right combo of wind protection without the noise. For now I'm screenless. Now, I have to find a seat that works for my 6 '4" frame.
  10. bigfoot2222

bigfoot2222 The red hair makes it exciting

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" and used the tall seat concepts seat with lower pegs. With that combo the tiger turned into and all day riding machine.

As a matter of fact, I will be selling my seat as I have upgraded to the 1200.

PM me if you would like it.
  11. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lower pegs ?
  12. bigfoot2222

Oddometer:
    Yup lower pegs.

Mustang garage

These are fantastic for standing and lowering to get that hip to pegdistanse bigger. Made a huge difference for the hip muscles.

He is an inmate here.
  13. DavidTen

DavidTen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are these Mustangs a simple swap out, i.e. removing the circlip like on my Bonnie? Just got a 2016 XCX and may want to drop the pegs (I’m 6’6”) but I thought I read in the “Farkles” thread there was some interference with the brake lever and somewhat of a PITA to install. Have Touratech Works on there now.

Dave
    troop and MapleRoad like this.
  14. bigfoot2222

Oddometer:
    Yup they are a simple swap.

Lining up the pin with the spring is cuss worthy but the second one went much easier as I found the angle of the dangle.

I did adjust the brake lever as my size 14’s were touching it and activating the brake light, since the brake lever is not on the same plane as the pegs. It is an easy fix but just take a pic of the return spring as it doesn’t go in the hole.

All in all I was very pleased with farkle as it allowed me to ride 13 hour days with no cramps or sore muscles.

Plus when I road some fire service and rough gravel standing became way easier.
  15. bigfoot2222

Oddometer:
    Oh one other thing, I scraped the outside of my boots on twisty roads several times finding the limit of my tires. :D
    DavidTen likes this.
  16. DavidTen

DavidTen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks bigfoot. I have size 14s myself. Will keep the Mustangs in mind, just got my Sargent back after a 1” over rebuild, so we’ll see if that helps.

Sorry for the hijack.

On a windshield note, have a Puig on the bike now. Would a clip-on MRA short spoiler be recommended with this shield?

Dave
    bigfoot2222 likes this.
  17. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The madstad screen looks absolutely horrible. Not putting that in my bike... Sorry guys.

In the past I have learned that a smaller screen provides clean air around my helmet.
    Being 1m79.
    Only in the winter or when I was planning on riding at really high speed (160 km/h and above) I would add my double bubble to my sprint.
    I was looking at the smaller touratech screen for the triumph but can't find any people having any experience with it.
    Smaller seems nice for some more air going through my jacket and having clean air around my helmet.
  18. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the madstad looks good and works great on my bike.

Attached Files:

19. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What crashbars are those?
    With the standard crashbars it's confusing which additional ones will fit and will add protection.
  20. maxattack

Oddometer:
    They are the factory upper and lower crash bars.