1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 800 Windshields

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by TAMPAJIM, May 12, 2011.

1. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Givi AF6401
    Upper shield removed (slide/lock): 14" H
    Upper shield installed (low position): 19" H
    Upper shield raised: 24" h
    Fully adjustable up/down
    Bottom width: 18"
    Upper width: 15"

Attached Files:

2. Nulli.s

Nulli.s n00b

Oddometer:
    I am also interested whether anyone has experience with the TT windscreen and maybe some pictures of how it looks like in real life and possibly from the side.
  3. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_0299.jpeg IMG_0303.jpeg IMG_0300.jpeg

I loved the touratech windscreen. It was the perfect blend of height and coverage for me plus I think it looked the best of all the screens on the market. Plus I was able to incorporate the winglets from the '18 model year to aid in wind on the sides.
    Daemon Angel likes this.
  4. Nulli.s

Nulli.s n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for shareing! Looks great.
    maxattack likes this.
  5. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing man!

Nice car btw ;-)

I'm going to order this one as well then.
    I was doubting between going for the smallest and hopefully being rid of any turbulence, or going big and hope all wind goes over my helmet.
    I'm 1m79 so not that tall and normally I should be fine.
    Maybe I will get the small screen still for in summer.
    maxattack likes this.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Searching around for screen options that wouldn't break the bank and decided to give 3bangings fix a try. Thanks for the post and idea.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tiger-800-windshields.686867/page-68#post-29889791

It's snowing here in NY today so I'll wait and test it out tomorrow when it'll be a tropical 55 degrees. Cost was $13 and it took about two hours. Cut it with tin snips (.093" thick Lexan) and heat gun and vice to bend the pieces. Hope it works. I had a Madstad on my XC that I wish I'd have kept, that worked great but didn't know if I'd be getting another Tiger or not at the time. Tinnitus makes riding with the touring screen annoying as hell.

tiger wings 1.jpg tiger wings 2.jpg
    RichardD likes this.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to try these out on the highway today with a good headwind and also tailwind. I'm happy with the results. Not as quiet as a Madstad but the annoying turbulence noise is now under control. In the head wind I rode with and without the wings, big difference, and heading down wind it was very quiet. Highly recommend this mod and again, thanks goes to 3bangin.
    I'd bought an ebay adjustable airfoil and it might have helped a little but the flex on the screen with that on was annoying and probably not good for the screen. I don't think it's an issue with the wind over the top but around the sides of the screen.
    Did a test ride with tape going from tip of wing to top edge of screen and didn't notice much of a difference but it might not hurt to make these wings another 1" taller.
    If anyone wants to try this out you should be able to print out my template to size and use it for a pattern.
    tiger wings 3.jpg tiger wings 4.jpg tiger wings 5.jpg
  8. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    The taller and wider the better for speeds north of 50 mph.
    However, I have found that I really want two, the big one for cool weather, fast riding, for which the Tiger is a sportbike.
    And a second that is narrower and shorter for hot weather and off-road.

However, I do not want any creases or warps as they are very distracting during low-speed maneuvers, on or off-road.
    Here are pics of my current windscreens (Madstad, Screens for Bikes, Windbender)... see a pattern ?!?! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the givi airflow, got a chance to cover 80 miles on the highway twice recently. No headwind and it was great. On the way home cruising 80-85 with a 20mph headwind and it was still pretty good. The madstad might be better, but I picked this up used for $100, and had no significant buffeting. Even at 85 with the 20 headwind it was better than stock at 40mph with no wind.
  10. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unsure how to proceed with windscreen on my 2014 Tiger800. At 5'11" I don't have any issues with buffeting but wind noise, even with ear plugs, is loud. If a scrunch down and forward a bit it becomes very quiet. But I can't hold this position for more than a few minutes.

I did purchase one of those extenders that clamps on to the stock screen to try to get it to lift the noise free zone another inch or two up. Not sure it worked after playing with different angles and positions, but at $30 it was worth a shot.

I think I may try just removing the stock screen completely and see what that is like.

Has anyone tried the MRA Touring Screen available from Twisted Throttle? It seems like a shorter screen which may help with some of the issues. The other option is the Madstad even though I am not thrilled with the cost nor the looks. Thanks for any suggestions or input.
  11. Plummeteer

Plummeteer n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'-0", have a 2013 Tiger 800. Lots of noise and buffeting with the stock windscreen.
    First I just removed the screen and rode it like that for a week - much better, but looks a little goofy.
    Next I cut 3" off the top of the screen and re-installed it - no buffeting, but still noisy.
    Then I cut another 1-3/4" off (it's little more than a flyscreen now) and angled it down by moving the side bolts to the opening in the bracket below the bolt holes with some plastic spacers, washers and longer bolts. This seems to be the quietest arrangement so far, but I haven't yet compared it directly to no screen.
    JeffPM likes this.
  12. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madstad is the best screen on the market . I have one on my 2015 800 Tiger and had one on my last bike too. I won't even buy a bike now until I look at their site and see if they have a screen for it. I like as quiet as possible. Madstad is the only screen you can adjust up or down and tilt front and back. Once you get it to where you like it you'll probably never change it. I actually had a BMW r1150r and went through 3 windshields and sold the bike because I couldn't find one that worked for me. Madstad only started to make them for the r1200r.
    JeffPM likes this.
  13. Flatpick

Flatpick n00b

Oddometer:
    Madstad is a very effective windshield. Have a 2017 Tiger 800 XCX with a 20 inch madstad, and there is no buffeting behind it. On certain days I like for my helmet to be in clean air with the vents open but with the madstad all the way down and back my helmet is barely in the airstream. If I were to do it again I would go with the 18 inch screen. BTY, I'm 6'4 Very good product.
  14. exhdrdr

exhdrdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6ft one inch and initially thought I would return my 18 inch madstad for a 20 but after riding with the 18 a few weeks I find the 18 perfect, no buffeting no noise. My bike is a 2019 XCA I bought new and the stock windshield was garbage. I have the Madstad all the way up and all the way back.
  15. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madstad will exchange the windshield if you think you want a different height as long as it has no damage.
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tiger Madstad 3 just arrived today and is on the 1st Gen Roadie. The first Madstad I bought went on my 1050 Tiger. Put it on just before the Tiger Ride In 5 years ago and a deer totaled the bike on the way home, just short of home actually. Insurance company wouldn't let me keep it but it was salvageable. Had a XC that came with one and made the mistake of trading the bike with the screen and lots of other parts I could have used for a Street Triple which was a blast to own but not my cup of tea. So back to another Tiger but a Roadie this time and the touring screen noise made my ears bleed. Found the mounting hardware on eBay for $76 and with the new screen from Madstad was only out around $220, almost a $100 saving from having the entire setup shipped from Madstad. I am so happy to have this screen again. So much quieter with the screen and wings. I have to see how much the wings actually contribute. I think they might do more than expected.
    Heading to the unofficial Dragon Raid on Weds and glad to be able to do it in comfort.
  17. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    You'll find that the wings take most of the noise away because a lot of wind comes through that area and up under your helmet, sucked up by the vacuum behind the screen. I developed them back in 2011 for a set up I had back then (Pamler screen) and was pleased to see Madstad came to the same conclusion a year later. I also bought the Madstad set up after totalling the Palmer stuff in a crash but I added an MRA Explorer screen which has their aerofoil on the top. Superb.
    ride4321 likes this.