1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 800 XC Track Day on Adventure Tires

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Sachou, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:

For the past several years, I've been searching for the ultimate adventure machine that fit my lifestyle. I wanted a motorcycle that could do anything, go everywhere, and ride over any terrain, but with a focus on street manners - cornering on asphalt, comfort for touring, power and speeeeed. I found that in the Tiger 800. To sum it up - it's a really tall crotch rocket.

MotoFit_Sun_Sept_22_2019_ORP-2108.jpg

A year ago, I rode my XC to my first race track experience, with The MotoFit Group at Oregon Raceway Park. I can't express how much fun I had, and how much I learned. The instructors were awesome, both on and off the track, and gave me tips on how to hustle the tall beast around the tarmac safely and quickly. At the end of the weekend, I was a totally different rider, with a new outlook on twisty asphalt. I've ridden some prime twisty roads on the coast, but nothing compares to a dedicated race track. Each lap I pushed myself and the bike more and more, and I still had way fewer sketchy moments than I would have had riding quickly on the road.

MotoFit_Sun_Sept_22_2019_ORP-609.jpg

What I was most impressed with was how well the offroad oriented XC handled riding alongside purpose built street/track bikes. But especially the tires. Where the rubber meets the road is with the same Michelin Anakee Adventure tires that took me up a 100ft sand dune last summer. These are 80/20 street/dirt adventure tires, and when it comes to adventure/dualsport tires, the conversation tends to be steered towards off-road grip vs. on-road longevity. Nobody ever really talks about on-road performance; the question is usually "How long will these last when riding in a straight line on a highway to get to the dirt?". Well, I'm also very interested in the fun bits of road on the way to the dirt, so I wanted to see just how far I could push these "compromise" tires on tarmac. They warmed up and gripped all the way to the edges, and only lost grip once, at about 45mph when I added too much power while leaned over. There was a slight rear skid, but it lined back in place once I was more upright, and I never really felt out of control. It's safe to say that they exceeded my expectations on every single metric, and I am now on my second set. As far as the accelerated wear from the ~70 laps on the track, I didn't actually lose much life on these tires, if any. All the wear occurred at the edges. Seeing as a typical adventure tire will wear out the center strip, with plenty of life left in the chicken strips, I just rounded out the tire more evenly.

This was at about 50 laps in:
    20190921_145413.jpg

Oh, and the Tiger? It does everything. It will go anywhere. And it's an absolute pleasure at every turn. All in all, the bike outperformed my novice skill level.

MotoFit_Sat_Sept_21_2019_ORP-610.jpg

MotoFit_Sun_Sept_22_2019_ORP-1195.jpg

MotoFit_Sat_Sept_21_2019_ORP-191.jpg

So if you have a Tiger, and have been eyeing the race track, but don't think you have the "right bike", I say DO IT! It's a great experience, and the skills learned will enrichen your street riding massively.

Filmed on September 21-22, 2019

Check out http://motofitgroup.com for your own track day experience.
    My photo album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHAvy2h
    Action Shots by 360 Photography: https://www.threesixtyphotography.com...

Bonus photo, I'm still a dirty adventure biker, so I toured down there and got creative with my camp site. Hammocking is life:
    20190921_064712.jpg

Who else has taken their adventure bike deep into the twisties?

Attached Files:

Jimr80gs, Xchemie, Timmer and 2 others like this.
  2. Bike2Big

Bike2Big Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tigers are no slouch...and they exceed the capabilities of most riders.. I've pushed ly tiger 1200 until the edge of my metzlers grip.. scary but enough time and consistency to correct... my new anakee adventures have performed pretty well on tail of the dragon for 2up.

3072827.jpg
    Xchemie, Sachou and Azturbomini like this.
  3. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah!! Fully, FULLY loaded.
  4. Bike2Big

Oddometer:
    Yes. And my wife that does very well... 3072828.jpg 3072829.jpg
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    It’s a well kept secret to us owners :)
  6. MacGyverZA

MacGyverZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing on the OEM battle axe rubber and was very impressed.
    Had a few guys come up to me after a session trying to work out what I was riding

1337637574.jpg
    Sachou likes this.
  7. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could tell you about the time I dual sported my GL1800 on the FS road east of Cascade Idaho and then south towards Stanley. The guys on true D/S bikes were stunned to see me on the trail. Fortunately, it worked out fine.
    Sachou likes this.
  8. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VERY nicely done. Looks like the tiger is definitely capable of going faster than I can pilot it.

You know, that's one of the greatest things about motorcycles. Pretty much any bike can do anything with enough determination. And I know you've got that, Tim! It's funny how you've toured on a WR250, and dirtbiked a GL1800.
    Timmer likes this.
  9. MacGyverZA

MacGyverZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Because the title is about tires, a little bit of a comparison- I changed from the OEM battle axes to mitas e07+ rear and tkc 80 front.
    The mitas is good off the tar and lasts long, but I have had a few oh shite moments when I'm trying to get a lot of power down. The Bridgestones would lift the front wheel leaving an intersection quickly while turning. The mitas let's go. In the wet it's worse.
    Front tkc is great. Unfortunately it looks like I can't get the battle axes again because I was seriously impressed with them off road as well.
    Cruz likes this.
  10. Bike2Big

Oddometer:
    Everyone gives the battleaxes crap but on my vstrom i loved them
  11. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took a Tiger out on a demo ride when I was deciding between it and an F800GS.

I was amazed how well it performed on the road, I actually scraped the pegs on that demo ride! Couldn't believe it!

I ended up going with the BMW because it felt more at home offroad. However, if a Tiger came up at the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my collection.

Great pics! I've been itching to do a track day myself.
    Cruz likes this.
  12. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    B-Stone TrailWings...