1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

tiger 800xc crash bars

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ButtonPushingMonkey, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MotoMachines

MotoMachines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem! Though I have no input in the design of these bars, I myself trust the engineers at H&B, simply because we deal with their parts on a daily basis, and we see the outcome of a lay-down/crash constantly, and how the bars hold-up. We even have first hand experience on a Super Tenere here...unfortunately.

I suppose the picture doesn't do it much justice! I went and measured the thickness myself, it came out to approximately 3/4cm.
  2. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Based on the illustration, the only pieces that could be 7.5mm, would be the clamps themselves. The piece that extends from the clamps, to the bolt holes on the engine bars, can't be 7.5mm thick. (Unless the clamps are 1 meter thick!)

This I doubt.

Now, if the illustration is not an accurate representation of the device, then anything's plausible.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're talking about the same parts...
  3. Cabriolet

Cabriolet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That separate bolt on centre piece looks a lot easier to fit than the design of the H&B upper tank bars for the pre 2015 design. That was a pain in the wazoo to fit, especially getting them all on at the same time as the Touratech radiator bars, which used the same frame mounting points!
  4. MotoMachines

Oddometer:
    I'm getting confused by confusing you :fpalm :lol3
  5. MotoMachines

Oddometer:
    Yeah...that older tank guard needed two people for installation to alleviate the wazoo pain.
  6. mbay

mbay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Heed Crashbars and i love them[​IMG]
  7. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those look really nice. Where did you purchase them?
  8. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those Heeds are BEEFY!

Rec'd my Holans, but haven't had time to mount them yet. I got the black powdercoat, but they may need some additional flair before installation.

-T
  9. tievoli

tievoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a picture of the 2015 HB tank guard from the front? I am trying to determine how far out they are from the plastics. I had alt rider crashers until a recent accident bent the bars and broke the engine head most likely totaling my bike. If i get it repaired or get a new Tiger I want something that will actually project the bike and rider and not cause catastrophic damage. I was wondering about the stock Triumph engine guard and the HB tank guard but I can't tell if they they are to close the the bike to minimize impact on the rear footpads causing a damaged sub frame.

Although my Altrider bars most likely totaled my ride they protected my leg and little other damage occurred. I may buy again but the bent bar into the engine nags me and is hard to get past.
  10. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    biffstephens likes this.
  11. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have to start a "homemade Tiger parts thread" to display them all!

-T
  12. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I managed to get some work done last night. Stayed up too late, am paying for it today. Anyway, took the Holans I received from ADVMotorrad and made a reinforcement to one of the bends and added a bracket to hang fog lamps, deer whistle, whatever.

I started by filing away (by hand) some of the powder coat so that I could fit tubular gussets at the perceived weak point, the bend near the top corner of the radiator. The powder coat is a nice soft plastic that didn't put up too much fuss. The surprise was underneath: The "tubing" is used is basically electrical conduit. It has a surface texture, softness, and diameter that is an exact match for 1/2" conduit. I was surprised, but not completely. If you look at the bends in the bars they don't exactly look like mandrel bends in quality mild steel tubing.

I managed to weld up some gussets, although the base material is so soft I now wonder why I bothered. More welding practice, I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once finished with the welding and some grinding (I'm not a good welder) I powder coated the bars dark blue. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Test fits of the bars went really well, I have none of the issues that others have had mounting them.

Pics of blue bars to follow!

-Tom
  13. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :thumb I would be bummed to find the equivalent of electrical conduit under the powder coat. I got the SW Motech bars because they seem robust. Even they are not perfect though. Look forward to your finished product.
  14. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was not as disappointed once I thought about it... Remember, crash bars are a relatively sacrificial part. If they protect your engine / radiator, then job done. The soft metal *should* do its job and not transfer stress to the chassis.

If I was racing Baja or doing anything else that involved more speed I'd look elsewhere. I still like the design of the Holans, and if I need to repair them bar by bar as they fail then so be it. They've given me a nice pattern to build from!

-Tom
  15. mbay

mbay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought them from poland.
    If you google heed crashbars you will find them.
    Good service and easy to fit.
    I've tried them 3times now and they do the work
  16. tievoli

tievoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mbay
    Could you post a couple of pics that show the Heed bars and how far out they are on the bike. I am trying to determine if they will impact before the rear pegs in most cases like the alt rider crash bars. Thanks.
  17. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blue Holan crash bars!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dark blue powder (Eastwood Cadillac Blue) is a pretty good match for the script on the tank. I added supports at the side of the radiator as well as some accessory brackets on each side under the radiator tanks. I'm very happy!

-Tom
  18. WRKITHOT

WRKITHOT WRKITHOT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting all this info up guys. I'm going with Holans ordered last night.
  19. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    Anyone running the GIVI Brand? Ordered a set from Revzilla, arrived yesterday, spent the evening/night installing them to my Tiger. I LOVE them. Ill post pics soon.
    LordZed likes this.
  20. Land Man

Land Man n00b

Oddometer:
    I love the look of the MotoMachines guards pictured above but, for fit it says they are for 2015-. I would love a set for my 2012 XC and I'm wondering if they would fit, especially since I already have the Triumph factory lower engine guards installed. I read this entire thread and if the MotoMachines upper guards won't fit, it sounds like I should be considering TourTech, Heed or Holan? Your thoughts?