1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 900 Rally Pro Engine Heat

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Texasten, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have tried to find threads on engine heat coming off radiators. In ALL the glowing reviews, I never found anyone comment on the engine heat. Now that I own a Rally Pro, I have discovered that engine heat is significant. I live in Texas and riding in 80 degrees and up, the engine heat is very obvious. I have experimented putting my hand down there to see if a deflector might push the hot air out to side. I am betting someone will figger out a deflector that will greatly reduce this heat cooking my knees!!!!
  2. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Tiger 800 also has this heat issue, afaik there is no fix for it. The faster you go the less you notice the heat ;)
    It's also not just the air from the radiator, but the heat radiating directly from the engine (and through the frame) as well.
  3. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    I never noticed it on my 800, but the new 900 sometimes makes my knees feel like they are on fire.
  5. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like they can't figure out how to handle the heat. On the 800s, the heat blows into the area above the cylinder head so then the tank heats up and the rest of the heat billows out the sides.

[​IMG]

And you can see how the 900s have the side cut outs that, yeah, blow the heat directly onto the knees lol.

[​IMG]

I reguarly ride my Tiger 800 down here in OK/TX when it's 100*F out and while it's uncomfortable, it's not unbearable.
  6. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feb of 18 i bought a new leftover 2017 XCX explorer, the heat that engine put out was terrible. So much so that i got rid of it. Once the outside temps got more than 70* it really started heating up, and the warmer it got the worse the heat was. It was other than that a great bike, lots of power and creature comforts . Just couldn’t take the heat. I do still have my tiger 1050 i bought in 2011 ( its a 2010, bought new in 11) great bike virtually no heat issues at all. Great local commuter and good for wknd rides as well. Have a 2019 FJR for a road bike. Theres no way triumph couldn’t know these machines have a heat problem.
  7. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my $0.02 on the heat issue for my '17 800 XCX. In adv boots and riding pants, I don't notice it, unless I leave the hamstring vent open on the exhaust side and I'd doing sit down in high heat. In shorter boots and non-adv pants it's noticable, but not terrible. In that situation I just ride with my feet further to the outside of the pegs, an extra inch or two away from the engine it's much cooler.

Triumph likes to package things cleanly, so the catalytic converter, which gets very hot, isn't to the rear of the rider as it is on adv some bikes. This helps looks, but no doubt makes for more heat radiating up. Lean fueling, to get better emissions, means more heat. A booster plug (to a small degree) or fuel controller may help, by keeping things richer.

There are options like heat wrap or ceramic coating the inside of the headers and exhaust pipe that will also keep more of the heat contained vs radiating out onto the rider. I haven't felt the need to do this and have ridden in temps as high as 113F. If I was commuting on the bike then I'd probably look at those options.
  8. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Rally Pro, and above about 80*, you feel it, but it isn't too bad until the fans kick in. Same if you are sitting at a light or construction zone and those fans kick in.
  9. mebgardner

mebgardner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read the recent ride coverage of the new Tiger models in the April issue of Rider Magazine. Yup, not a word about heat issues onto rider or passenger. I knew about this problem with the last iterations of Tiger (from a test ride). It was the primary issue that kept me from the purchase, since Tucson is very hot a lot of the year, and the traffic is almost all traffic light to traffic light riding about town. So, I thought that "no news is good news" in the review, and maybe Triumph had solved it with the latest models.

This new report disappoints me very much. Their engineers and designers had all this time to solve it, and they did not. I guess I will continue to stay off Triumph Tigers.
  10. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good discussion of this. I took xvlc advice and tried a little faster today. It actually does dilute the heat more with the larger volume of air!! Fun too......
    It looks like it would be simple to adjust the plastic vent area to push the heat out to side more. There must be some reason they did not do that.......
    When I started ride this morning at about 68 degrees, the heat was not an issue. It only started being obnoxious as the temperature got up to 82 and 84 that it became more noticable.
    Maybe someone on here with a printer machine will design a little add on, clip on, tape on, whatever, deflector!!!!!
  11. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I concur. I have well over 100,000 miles of no complaints.

And I love that heat in winter.
  12. CDBiker220

CDBiker220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coming from a Tiger 800 to a 900 Rally Pro. I've ridden in high 80's to low 90's a couple of times so far and felt the heat was much less noticeable on the 900. It may blow on your knees a bit but this seems to bother me less than the heat that came from the CAT below you on the 800. I guess the 900 has a bit of hot air moving off the radiators but at least it is getting rid of the heat, I prefer this over the radiant heat that came off the 800. That all said I've never been as sensitive to heat on any bike as some other people seem to be.
  13. bgm1911

bgm1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is disappointing to read about on a brand new model. I have a '18 1200 XRT and the heat can be intolerable at 90F and there is slow going or stopped traffic. I'm hoping that Triumph will address this issue (along with weight) on the '21 model of the 1200, but it seems their engineers can't (or won't) address this.
  14. Botrunner

Botrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don’t like heat ride a pedal bike.
  15. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dunno, you can get pretty hot riding one of those too....
  16. bgm1911

bgm1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta love civility!
    Then what are you going to do if you comment about too much heat riding a bicycle? Suggest to walk instead?! LOL.
  17. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird, I live and ride in Texas as well and I find the Tiger 900 to be one of the cooler bikes I've ridden in the summer.

I don't ride in shorts or anything, I guess that could get hot. But with riding jeans or pants on, I don't even feel heat from the bike.

I've never ridden a Tiger 800, but for comparison, I also have a Tiger 1200 and a Speed Twin (1200) and they put off SIGNIFICANTLY more heat than my Tiger 900 does. I even remember my old NC700X putting out more heat than this Tiger 900 does.

Basically, if I'm going for a ride during the day in the summer, it will be on the Tiger 900 due to how cool it is compared to my other bikes.

I think only my electric bikes have been cooler for me. Not sure what the fuss is about? :dunno
    Cruz likes this.
  18. disco fred

disco fred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In traffic my 800 can get HOT! When your moving, it's no big deal
  19. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    In stop start traffic, my XR 2018 gets really hot in temperatures of 35 to 38 Celsius and i will stick my right leg out when the electric fan kicks in!

When it's moving it's all right.
  20. St. Arbucks

St. Arbucks Looking for clues...

Oddometer:
    I made side shields for my 13 800 XC. They work fairly well. I also wrapped my exhaust pipes from the three-way header down through the cat and all the way to the muffler. Again with some measure of improvement.
    Sadly, my next thread will be about the hole I discovered under the heat wrap at the header. More investigation to follow.