1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 900 Rally Pro Engine Heat

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Texasten, Jun 12, 2020.

1. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If seen some people recommend against wrapping a catalytic converter in performance cars for the reason of excessive heat build in or around it causing damage. Some people will put heat shield above the cat, spaced off a bit to direct it back down and away.
  2. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the 900 dumps significantly less heat on me than the most recent 800. A big improvement.

A smart ass reply is get an electric for hot weather!
  3. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are similar threads about the Tiger 1200 too. It was maybe my favorite all time bike except for slower trips across town on a warm day. The gas would be boiling when I got where I was going. Wearing riding gear seemed to help deflect the heat. But let’s face it , it was designed for taking fast trips up to Scotland, where the engine heat is a good thing. Rode mine in comfort all winter.
  4. Captain_nd_coke

Captain_nd_coke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well I guess that's why we don't see much of these in death valley in the summers :)
  5. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never heard a word in the reviews about how much heat it kicks off. 800 will definitely cook you while standing still, no issue once moving. I expect it given the setup, no plastic to isolate you from the engine radiating heat, air from the radiator has to go somewhere.
  6. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the R1200GS put off similar heat? Asking since that's typically the "gold standard" ADV bike.
  7. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it legal to "shift gears" a bit? Ok, when I notice the 900 Rally Pro heat coming off radiators right onto my knee, I am wearing Wrangler Walmart 22$ stretch jeans. It seems that those who have commented on the "coolness" of the 900 compared to other bikes, also comment on wearing adv pants and boots. Maybe that is the point where I am missing it. Is it possible this bike has a thermostat that is too high a temp or misfunctioning? The temp guage shows a steady 4 and one half marks, never saw it go higher than that.
    So, my shift is, what are some good adv riding pants? I have no clue what to wear as always have worn street jeans. I do have some nice Gaerne balance oiled boots, but seldom wear them.
    Looking for suggestions on riding pants, mostly for street, and some Colorado vacation riding dirt forest roads, maybe even the Alpine Loop. Thanks for any suggestions! Most of my riding is in Texas, early morning breakfast runs, home by the time the temps hit 85 or so.
  8. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like my Olympia Airglide for summer and Olympia Rangers for winter.
  9. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will say, those jeans would shred the instant they touched pavement. No resistance at all. I'm guilty of wearing blue jeans far too often myself even knowing how much it would suck if I fell off. Been real interested in reinforced riding jeans, there are just so many options and no way to try on these $150+ pants for fit. I do have first gear over pants I've been using for 13 years. They can unzip up the leg which helps a bit with temps.
  10. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    I never noticed heat from my 800. I always have riding pants on. And I never get stuck in traffic, lane splitting is legal here.
    RichardD likes this.
  11. Tomintoul

Tomintoul Hoopy frood

Oddometer:
    I wear either Revit jeans or Revit Tornado mesh trousers if it gets too hot
    6.5x47L likes this.
  12. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER Life is too short to not ride...

Oddometer:
    My 900 is brand new. Took it for a 235 mile ride yesterday. At one point, I was near Borrego Springs (which was supposed to be 105 degrees yesterday). I did not notice any excessive heat....but I was also moving at a pretty good clip. I was wearing my Slider jeans (which are black). Hell, I'm used to my Harley which cooks my baby batter containers.
  13. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FLYING BURRITO BROTHER, Ha, I actually lived the first few years of my life in Borrego Desert, so very familiar with the area. (Visited the old home place many times over the years, just sold it.)
    Anyway, am amazed that in that heat you were ok with heat coming off radiators. Now, I took some advice off this forum and bought some riding pants with kevlar in knees and armor, hoping that this might make the difference. Perhaps your Slider Jeans are good at insulating you. Can't wait to give the new chino pants a try. Rode 170 miles today, starting at 74 degrees in morning, going up to low 80's. It is above 80 degrees that it gets miserable for me, street blue jeans. Soon will get a chance to try the riding pants, sure hope that will make a big difference!
    FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER likes this.
  14. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

Oddometer:
    Borrego is beautiful....just not in the triple digits! ...but yeah, my Slider jeans are kevlar lined, so that could be the difference.
  15. Xchemie

Xchemie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only heat I notice on my Tiger 900 is from the radiator fans blowing directly at my chest. It is a bit uncomfortable at stop lights in warm weather when the fans kick on. But I haven't had any problem aside from those instances.
  16. Texasten

Texasten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flying Burrito Brother,
    I have to ask....... did you stop in Julian for pie? We stayed at The Springs at Borrego Rv Resort in Jan of 2019 and I rode everyday to Julian to bring pie back to RV. The Julian Pie Company also makes an amazing sandwich!!!
    Also rode to Palm Desert and up the Palms to Pines hiway to make a loop back to Montezuma Road. You lucky to live close enough to ride some of the amazing roads around there!!! We hope to go back again in Jan to Feb of 2021....
  17. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yuuummm. Many Julian Pie's have been devoured by me.
  18. FLYINGBURRITOBROTHER

Oddometer:
    This time I did not have pie in Julian....I was still full from my lunch in Temecula....lol I only stopped for a break. But yeah...lots of goodies to add the #s in Julian. Dudleys in Santa Ysabel just down the road is awesome for bread and sammies too. I'm up there all the time and consider myself very blessed to have those mountains and the desert in my "back yard". Let me know when you're coming back and I'll do my best to hook up with ya.
  19. namaste722

namaste722 BuddhistBiker Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 900GT Pro puts out significant heat. I will not be wearing mesh pants like I normally do in the summer in NC.
    snakepilot likes this.
  20. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here.