1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger 900 Rally Pro vs. KTM 790 Adventure R

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Jarrett2, Mar 24, 2020.

1. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth I have a 12 month old 8,500km KTM 790 Adventure R and reading this thread as I'm starting to consider cutting my losses and investigating the Tiger as a replacement and wanted to search on Tiger faults to see if there was any.

The KTM has been the most unreliable bike I've owned with lots of problems. I just want to ride the thing but every ride seems like another problem. On the other hand there's people with faultless 790's but if you keep an eye on the facebook groups and 790 forum here the complaints are starting to drown out the initial rave reviews. It's a great bike when it works, everyone says that. No brand new bike priced like the 790 is should contain "when it works" when being described by it's owners.
  2. ScottyDog

ScottyDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right Blakduck, when I was a kid I fell in love with the latest YZ the moment it came out, found out about the problems as i went along.
    Now I research everything so's as I don't make a "mistake", takes all the romance out of it... The benefits of forums like these!

But one thing I've come to understand in this category is: If you want dirt performance and build quality, buy a KTM and expect to do the maintenance. If you want set and forget, but with lack of character and build quality, buy Japanese. If you want something in between, get a Triumph Tiger...

Just my 2 bob's worth! :rofl
    Cruz and Blakduk like this.
  3. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Tiger 800 has been rock solid... Just not what I want for off-road. Test ride of 850 and 900 Rally Pro inbound today. Hope I can get some dirt time before I make a decision.
    Blakduk likes this.
  4. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Well one thing I saw in the past 3 days and 1100kms of dirt road riding on my 501 and with 3 x 790s is that the 790 is very good at crashing without serious damage.
    Cruz and 6.5x47L like this.
  5. AceofSpades1944

AceofSpades1944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious if you ever got those test rides in and how you felt about each afterwards.
  6. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Test rides were not allowed on either due to lack of stock... :( The dealer was very positive on the Tiger 900 RP and was willing to get one from another dealer and let me buy it and return it, if it was not the answer. Based on research and speaking to a ton of people, I am leaning heavily towards the 900 RP.
  7. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the dealer actually have a line on a RP? I bought a rally because I was told there isn’t a RP around and there will not be any until mid next year, if at all..
  8. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He did, there are more than a few on Cyceltrader.
    Go_find_a_tree and offtheback like this.
  9. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well now I would wait for the 890...
  10. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will still have that chitty chitty bang bang KTM twin engine in it though. Some are ok with it, I am not.

I was at a track day the other day and someone was out there with a 890 Duke, I believe. Standing on the edge of the track as the other 3 and 4 cylinder bikes came by, man they sounded great. Then here came the KTM. Sounded terrible. Those engines always seem like there is something wrong with them to me.
  11. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Revisiting this thread. I am finally pulling the pin on a KTM. The Triumph was nice but the KTM costs thousands less and has that low-slung fuel tank. I've seen some complaints about the 790 - hopefully I get one of the ones folks aren't complaining about.

Ironic that just as I see my way clear to get the 790 KTM drops the 890 Adventure on the world.
    Blakduk likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the 790. FWIW KTM regularly have problems with 1st edition bikes. 990A, 690E, 530, 1190 all had teething problems in the first run. I understand the 890 is a direct consequence of new Euro emission regs....still lame dropping it so close to the 790 release. Reliability issues aside, the Rally Pro would still be my choice....we're all different :D Hope you have a blast on the Katoo...great bike!
  13. Jim_SB

Jim_SB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my 2006 Buell Ulysses (in Sep. 2005) I hoped I was getting some adventure capability in a comfortable well handling road bike with lots of luggage capacity. I was right. But there are limits......

In Death Valley I ran into some deep sand and the Ulysses went into tank slipper mode. I got through it, but it was a handful. Also the bike is notoriously bad on stutter bumps (those small, tightly spaced washboard bumps going into corners). I have literally broken my Hepco/Becker luggage going into corners on those bumps.

So as much as I like the Ulysses I am considering either the new Triumph or the 790 ADV. Both offer cruise control which would nice for those times when we have to drone down a highway to get to the fun stuff.

How do these bikes handle stutter bumps? Rocky Jeep trails? Sand?

My KTM 450 EXC and Honda CRF 250X would laugh at those conditions - but their street capabilities are limited.

Is the KTM 790 a bike that can be ridden 500 miles in a day? Or is it too uncomfortable?

I’ve thought about just having the suspension on my Ulysses tweaked by a good shop but the geometry is so aggressive I’m not sure the handling I desire can be achieved....

???
  14. Jim_SB

Jim_SB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ps. My friends own Africa Twins and BMW GS 1200’s. While those bikes have appeal they’re larger than I would prefer....
  15. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the 790 R first. It's off pavement capabilities are undeniable. I am not a fan of the stock 790 R suspension. It's too jarring and makes rough roads painful. I'm sure that could be handled in the aftermarket though. On the pavement, I really didn't like the 790 R. I mostly didn't like the engine character, sounds like something is broken to me. The wind protection sucks as well. Also, it throws a lot of engine heat up into the back of my thighs and made me want to get off of it in anything above 80 degrees. I didn't like to ride the 790 R for more than 50 miles or so on the pavement.

I sold the 790 R and got a Tiger 900 Rally Pro. 6,000 miles later, I love the bike. It is my favorite bike I've ever owned. Comfortable enough to do at least 400 miles on the pavement. Agile enough to handle rocky, unmaintained roads without an issue and the stock suspension soaks it all up. I've even done single track on it and it was surprisingly capable. To me, it is the perfect adventure bike.

I haven't had either in sand, but I suspect due to the geometry differences, the 790 R would be the more capable bike in sand. I don't ride in sand, so kind of a moot point for me.

Judging by my wants from a bike, the Rally Pro is the better adventure bike and the best adventure bike I've ever owned or ridden. (and I've owned and ridden quite a few)

I'm not the only one that feels that way...

[​IMG]
  16. Ljislink

Ljislink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMO, after a test riding the 790S I felt it would not be good for 500 miles days or even 200-300 mile days. I really wanted that 790 but I also wanted a bike I would be able to do some long pavement trips on I'm about 80/20 rider at most. After a test riding the Rally I was very impressed at it's road manners, overall ride/build quality & put a deposit down on a Rally Pro should have the bike in a few more weeks. I'm not familiar with the Ulysses but if your in the market and are willing to spend 14K-17K on a new bike do some test riding if possible. I did not want to spend 17K on a bike I coulda had the 790 for about 14K out the door but after riding the Tiger I was fine with spending 3K more as it just seems to be a better built bike. I also test rode the KTM 1290SAS and didn't care for that one either.
  17. Tomintoul

Tomintoul Hoopy frood

Oddometer:
    It's kind of off-topic I suppose, but can I just say what a great time it is for middle-weight ADV bikes. We've got the Tiger 900s (obviously), the KTM 790 and 890s, the Ten 700 and the Guzzi V85 (I know it's a stretch there, but I love a Guzzi :) ) and in the not too distant we've got the Husky Norden 901, the Aprilia Tuareg 660 and hopefully an 850 Honda (it'd better be the Transalp and not a baby AT). The only problem I've got is having the patience to wait and test 'em all before trading in my Guzzi Stelvio on something lighter.
  18. Ljislink

Ljislink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't ridden a newer one how can you not love a Guzzi, this one's been in garage longer than any bike I've ever owned, even been on some 1200 mile trips just a fun bike to ride.

MG.jpg
    Tomintoul likes this.
  19. alyron619

alyron619 n00b

Oddometer:
    That is a gorgeous bike!
    Ljislink likes this.